Author Topic: Ads on podcasts  (Read 9225 times)

Online daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
Ads on podcasts
« on: November 08, 2017, 04:50:52 PM »
In the early days of radio, the hosts of the shows read the ads, giving personal endorsements which carried weight as the hosts were generally admired by their fans. At some point this began to be considered improper, if not downright slimy. I have not listened to commercial radio in over four decades, so I don't know what the standard is now.

But the podcasts I listen to (except where I pay for an ad-free version) all have ads spoken by the hosts, with explicit personal endorsement. "I'm wearing this underwear now, and it's the most comfortable underwear in the world." As a skeptic I take these ads with a grain of salt if I don't just skip through them, but I wonder about the ethics of this kind of advertising. It seems a kind of prostitution, but less reputable and less honest than the sex kind.

And I wonder about the effectiveness of ads which are, generally, read in an annoying and uninteresting manner. Of the podcasts I listen to where I hear the ads, only one actually makes them enjoyable: Carry Poppy has such a delightful voice that she makes the ads on Oh No, Ross and Carrie  fun to listen to.

Note: I get the ad-free version of the SGU so I don't know what their ads are like.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Ads on podcasts
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 04:58:51 PM »
The sorts of ads you described were still pretty common in talk radio as late as 2004ish.  I personally hated Paul Harvey for his ads which were read as though they were news stories and he was one of the most respected names in Radio.   

I suspect the only way those ads are effective is in getting the word out for a product or I guess shear repetition.  I briefly considered getting stamps.com because of all the ads and wouldn't know about loot crate, MVMT watches, blue apron etc.  I'd probably check one of those products out if I was in the market for what ever their selling. 

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 05:57:53 PM »
My opinion on it varies podcast to podcast and product to product.
Im not inherently against it but its not without compromise.

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 06:04:39 PM »
The one that pisses me off the most is an add about a useless supplement where the host speaks about how great it is. At least it is not a skeptical podcast. Otherwise, one tries to sell me hair color that is "All natural."
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 06:10:02 PM »
For me it shoots the host's credibility. A skeptic rendered so dishonest that you can't trust them to tell you the reality of the product they're hawking has placed themselves in a bad position in my eyes. Tom Ashbrook doesn't read ads, Sam Harris refuses  all advertising. Some podcasters have distanced themselves from this conflict of interest. Ads read by the advertiser don't trouble me in the same manner. Nevertheless, paid content for me is king and the best option most often, whether my paid YouTube Red ad free subscription or the various content providers I support via Patreon or direct PayPal or credit card payments. HBO has done well without advertising, they raised broadcasting standards, if you're reading ads, up yours.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 07:31:26 PM by DevoutCatalyst »

Offline MTBox

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • "The last best place" to be, in or out of a box
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 09:56:05 PM »
I recently noticed Ira Flatow in Science Friday podcasts, as his commercial break, talking about one of the bed provider sponsors, as "when I was sleeping on..." and it got me to wondering, "Hey, Ira; why not tell us why you no longer sleep on it, then?" That caught my attention more than his Pushing it in the beginning.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 10:56:05 PM »
I have no problem with advertisements or endorsements by podcasters during podcasts (indeed, I find them less jarring than a cut to a slick, overproduced advertisement) provided that a clear distinction is made between advertisement and content; I would have a real problem with undisclosed paid product placement.  I’m pretty sure all of the podcasts I listen to follow the general practice of starting such advertisements with a sponsorship notice, like this: “Podcast X is sponsored this week by Y corporation. Y corporation makes the best widgets on the market, available in all your favorite colors and shipped to your door...”. I don’t have a problem with podcasters referring to their own experience trying the product, either, again provided that it’s clear such statement are part of a paid advertisement.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Jaloopa

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 04:25:05 AM »
When you listen to a few podcasts that all carry the same ads, it's pretty simple to see which bits are what the hosts are saying for themselves and what the advertiser is mandating they say.

One more time, to try it for free go to ziprecruiter dot com slash this podcast

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Too Much Spare Time
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 04:27:43 AM »
I prefer the "And now for our ad section" method for shows with ads,a nd go ad-free when possible.
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 09:20:40 AM »
I have no problem with advertisements or endorsements by podcasters during podcasts (indeed, I find them less jarring than a cut to a slick, overproduced advertisement) provided that a clear distinction is made between advertisement and content; I would have a real problem with undisclosed paid product placement.  I’m pretty sure all of the podcasts I listen to follow the general practice of starting such advertisements with a sponsorship notice, like this: “Podcast X is sponsored this week by Y corporation. Y corporation makes the best widgets on the market, available in all your favorite colors and shipped to your door...”. I don’t have a problem with podcasters referring to their own experience trying the product, either, again provided that it’s clear such statement are part of a paid advertisement.
I pretty much agree with this. Its very jarring to me to hear a well produced radio commercial on a podcast.   As long as the ads are clearly ads, I don't mind. 

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2017, 09:26:46 AM »
I recently noticed Ira Flatow in Science Friday podcasts, as his commercial break, talking about one of the bed provider sponsors, as "when I was sleeping on..." and it got me to wondering, "Hey, Ira; why not tell us why you no longer sleep on it, then?" That caught my attention more than his Pushing it in the beginning.

Maybe Casper is a mattress that goes into decline rapidly like the negative reviews say? You could ask the rogues but their balls are in a vise and couldn't be bothered.

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2017, 09:35:48 AM »
While most podcasts I listen to are ad-free (yay, BBC), I found that the ones I listen to with ads manage to do it in a non-obtrusive way.

Revisionist History and Lore, for instance generally have a lengthy ad sequence at the end, that I can just skip, which is fine. Otherwise it could get annoying, especially in the case of Lore that has about 10-15 minute episodes and at least three minutes of completely unrelated and immersion-breaking ads about mattresses, glasses or whatever else.

There is only one podcast I listen to which has embedded ads, but those are for other programmes within the broader podcast network, and are very short, so they are OK.

I don't think I could listen to one with embedded, completely unrelated commercial advertisements

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2017, 10:02:26 AM »
Other than a brief mention of a sponsor at the start (and that's it for the entire episode), all ads being placed at the end of the episode is the only kind of advertising I find somewhat tolerable. Being able to choose what you listen to when is the entire point of podcasting, IMO.

Mixing it in with the content for maximum manipulation, and having the hosts talk about it in any way but honestly (i.e. being explicit about having been paid to say what they're saying), degrades the quality of the podcast.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 10:09:14 AM by 2397 »

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2017, 10:14:52 AM »
BTW, Red Letter Media's lampooning of this, and other aspects of nerdy podcasts is simply amazing

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2017, 11:20:53 AM »
“Paid product endorsements, especially by real or purported experts, constitute a steady rainfall of deception. They betray contempt for the intelligence of their customers. They introduce an insidious corruption of popular attitudes about scientific objectivity.” -- Carl Sagan

personate-rain