Author Topic: Ads on podcasts  (Read 9818 times)

Online daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
Re: Ads on podcasts
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2017, 12:20:16 PM »
I used to buy Great Courses (usually the audio versions) until they changed their system for downloads. Formerly one zip file contained 12 chapters. Then they made you use a download manager from Microsoft, and I don't allow anything from Microsoft on my computer. The alternative was to manually download each chapter separately. So I quit buying them.

When they first introduced The Great Courses Plus they offered me a free trial, as a long-time customer, and for feedback on what was basically a Beta test version. I accepted the offer, but I found that I didn't watch enough of them during that time to justify the high cost. I don't watch a lot of video. Maybe in the evening, I watch half a movie. I can sit and read, but I cannot sit and watch video for very long before I get restless. But I listen to audio (podcasts, or formerly, TGC) while I'm cooking and eating meals. I also sometimes watch video while on the treadmill, but that's 45 minutes to an hour a couple of days a week, since I use the exercise bike the other days. And it's hard to concentrate while exercising. I usually watch nature videos with the sound off and music playing.

Maybe I'll try TGC Plus again for a month.
Daniel
----------------
“You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.”
-- Greta Thunberg

Online daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2017, 12:26:04 PM »
P.S. It looks from their FAQ page that they do not support play via BluRay players. That would mean I could not watch while on the treadmill. That would be a deal breaker for me. I may inquire.

ETA: I send a brief email asking if they support watching on BluRay players.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 12:31:07 PM by daniel1948 »
Daniel
----------------
“You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.”
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2017, 12:44:26 PM »
Meanwhile Patreon's changing up the way it handles donations.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/12/07/patreons-new-service-fee-spurs-concern-that-creators-will-lose-patrons/

Listeners pledged an amount. Say, $1 a podcast. Patreon took a cut and then the content creator got the rest. Usually about 75%. Patreon's new scheme is to shift the donation cost to the donor. So to donate $1 show you now have to donate $1 plus ~3% plus a flat 35 cent fee. Content creators saw a few problems with this "fantastic" news. It seems crass to shift the burden to the donor. It's a disincentive to donate. Many donors might, say, donate $20 a month even. They're now having to donate 3% more. This might effectively cause donors to, at best, reduce their "before tax" donation amount by 3%. Others might decide to just cancel outright and "get around some day" to figuring out a new "pre-tax" amount they're comfortable with.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #63 on: December 08, 2017, 02:43:10 PM »
I see it as hitting small donations the worst.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #64 on: December 08, 2017, 02:58:56 PM »

https://techcrunch.com/2017/12/07/patreons-new-service-fee-spurs-concern-that-creators-will-lose-patrons/

Listeners pledged an amount. Say, $1 a podcast. Patreon took a cut and then the content creator got the rest. Usually about 75%. Patreon's new scheme is to shift the donation cost to the donor. So to donate $1 show you now have to donate $1 plus ~3% plus a flat 35 cent fee. Content creators saw a few problems with this "fantastic" news. It seems crass to shift the burden to the donor. It's a disincentive to donate. Many donors might, say, donate $20 a month even. They're now having to donate 3% more. This might effectively cause donors to, at best, reduce their "before tax" donation amount by 3%. Others might decide to just cancel outright and "get around some day" to figuring out a new "pre-tax" amount they're comfortable with.

There's a typo somewhere. 3% of $1 would be 3¢, not 35¢. Maybe you meant the donor has to add 30%? I really don't see the difference. If I was donating $20 I'll still donate $20. If they make me enter an amount and then they automatically add on 30%, I'll just do the math so the total still comes out to $20 and the podcast gets the same amount they used to. Within a few cents, depending on the actual percentages before and after.

I have no idea what tax law says about donations made through a service like Patreon or PayPal that takes a cut. Am I supposed to claim as a deduction only the portion that passes through to the recipient? What about when I make a donation to the Food Bank on my credit card? Am I supposed to reduce my claimed deduction by the amount the credit card company takes as a service fee? Do the tax ramifications actually change with the new Patreon system?

Perhaps one of our resident tax experts could weigh in. (In my case, there's only one podcast I support through Patreon. Most go through PayPal. Which raises another question: Who takes a bigger cut of your donation: Patreon or PayPal?)
Daniel
----------------
-- Greta Thunberg

Online Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #65 on: December 08, 2017, 03:04:21 PM »
It is 2.9% +35 cents for every individual pledge.

The receiver gets 95% of the pledge. So if my pledge is $1 they get 95 cents. I am slugged $1.38

So your idea of dropping your pledge to keep the amount the same, will end up with the receiver getting a lot less. So someone has to lose.

That's the way I saw it. It's ok if you support only 1 podcast, but if you support many then it could force you to drop a few off your pledge list.

10 different podcasts at $1 an episode, works out to $40 a month (now) if they release weekly.
That jumps to $54.16 under the new payment scheme.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 03:09:08 PM by Tassie Dave »

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #66 on: December 08, 2017, 04:01:58 PM »

There's a typo somewhere. 3% of $1 would be 3¢, not 35¢. Maybe you meant the donor has to add 30%? I really don't see the difference. If I was donating $20 I'll still donate $20. If they make me enter an amount and then they automatically add on 30%, I'll just do the math so the total still comes out to $20 and the podcast gets the same amount they used to. Within a few cents, depending on the actual percentages before and after.

I have no idea what tax law says about donations made through a service like Patreon or PayPal that takes a cut. Am I supposed to claim as a deduction only the portion that passes through to the recipient? What about when I make a donation to the Food Bank on my credit card? Am I supposed to reduce my claimed deduction by the amount the credit card company takes as a service fee? Do the tax ramifications actually change with the new Patreon system?

Perhaps one of our resident tax experts could weigh in. (In my case, there's only one podcast I support through Patreon. Most go through PayPal. Which raises another question: Who takes a bigger cut of your donation: Patreon or PayPal?)

I believe the change is you pay the donation + 3% of the donation + a .35 handling fee. So a $1 donation would cost you $1.38. A $10 donation would cost you $10.65 ($10 + 30 cents plus 35 cents).

Korean Podcast

Online daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #67 on: December 08, 2017, 06:03:14 PM »
It is 2.9% +35 cents for every individual pledge.

The receiver gets 95% of the pledge. So if my pledge is $1 they get 95 cents. I am slugged $1.38

So your idea of dropping your pledge to keep the amount the same, will end up with the receiver getting a lot less. So someone has to lose.

That's the way I saw it. It's ok if you support only 1 podcast, but if you support many then it could force you to drop a few off your pledge list.

10 different podcasts at $1 an episode, works out to $40 a month (now) if they release weekly.
That jumps to $54.16 under the new payment scheme.

Okay, I have no problem with that, because I don't do small donations. I think my smallest is $35, and that's through PayPal. 3% + 0.35 would bring a $50 donation to $51.85 and I wouldn't even bother reducing my donation back down to $50. I make all my donations on an annual basis, except the SGU which gets $12 per month. So the problem of $1 monthly donations does not affect me.

I guess podcasters like the security of monthly donations. But I don't operate that way. I've been making all my donations once a year in June ever since I quit making gift donations in other people's names in lieu of Christmas presents*. I still donate about the same amount, adjusted for inflation, but always in June, once a year, to my whole list. Before the internet and electronic banking, that was the easiest way, and I've never seen a good reason to change.

So my advice to people who give $1/month to a bunch of podcasts is, stop giving Patreon so much of your donation, and switch to annual donations. You can give the same amount and the podcasters will get more of it.

* About 40 years ago I quit giving presents at Christmas, and started giving gift donations to charities instead. But my parents' generation are all gone, and I've lost touch with most of the cousins, so a decade or two ago I quit the gift donations in December and transferred all those donations to June, and at the same time moved all my regular donations to June as well.
Daniel
----------------
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2017, 12:27:20 PM »
Now I could be wrong about this, but I think the good thing about Patreon is you pay upon delivery. Nothing worse than giving someone, say, $50 up front and they start half assing their output.

Korean Podcast

Offline Darksand

• Brand New
« Reply #69 on: December 11, 2017, 02:29:14 PM »
I listen to podcasts because they are ad free. Ads ruined too much for me. They get bigger and screamier to the point i just block all of them. It got so bad that I now make it a sport to avoid them.

Now podcastmakers are reading ads and to be honest, i do not mind them as much because they are not screamy and i trust the podcast maker to keep them this way.

But a couple of months ago, there was an ad mixed in my podcast, and i tought, oh my, they are going to ruin podcasts too. So i removed my podcast app to find another, and it was fine for weeks, then i heared another ad mixed in. So i removed that one too. I stopped listening podcast until i can find an app that does not mix in ads.

Oh, and i can not skip them, because i am in my car while listening and do not want to touch my phone for an ad (I can even get a ticket if i do that)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 02:33:49 PM by Darksand »

Online daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2017, 03:16:00 PM »
Now I could be wrong about this, but I think the good thing about Patreon is you pay upon delivery. Nothing worse than giving someone, say, $50 up front and they start half assing their output.

I look at my donation as paying for content provided during the previous year. And to help them continue for another year. If one of my podcasts quits, I've only paid for content already received.

I listen to podcasts because they are ad free. Ads ruined too much for me. They get bigger and screamier to the point i just block all of them. It got so bad that I now make it a sport to avoid them.

Now podcastmakers are reading ads and to be honest, i do not mind them as much because they are not screamy and i trust the podcast maker to keep them this way.

But a couple of months ago, there was an ad mixed in my podcast, and i tought, oh my, they are going to ruin podcasts too. So i removed my podcast app to find another, and it was fine for weeks, then i heared another ad mixed in. So i removed that one too. I stopped listening podcast until i can find an app that does not mix in ads.

Oh, and i can not skip them, because i am in my car while listening and do not want to touch my phone for an ad (I can even get a ticket if i do that)

Are you saying that your podcast app inserts ads that were not in the podcast? I use iCatcher and I've never had that happen.

I listen at home so I can always skip through ads. I find (good) podcasts too distracting to listen to while driving. I save all my attention for the road.
Daniel
----------------
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2017, 05:02:29 PM »
I do not like this new pattern method, in particular because A show I have been thinking about sponsoring releases two shows a week.  I’m willing to pay the $8/mo to sponsor the show because I think it’s worth it; but I’m not willing to pay $3.04 to Patreon on top of that.  I’m going to contact the show and ask for the option of a monthly payment; I could then pay my $8 and only pay Patreon $0.59

Are you saying that your podcast app inserts ads that were not in the podcast? I use iCatcher and I've never had that happen.

I have; I do not think it’s the app, it’s the download provider.  I suspect that by using a particular host podcasters are able to set it up so that geographically-relevant advertisements are inserted at the time of download. I imagine the show and the hosting provider share the revenue.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #72 on: December 11, 2017, 07:16:39 PM »
The Guys at Cognitive Dissonance suggested that you pay for only only podcast per month but increase the payment on that one podcast equal to what you would have been paying for four.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #73 on: December 12, 2017, 01:39:39 AM »
I haven't logged on to Patreon for quite a while, but creators have the option to set their account as either payment on delivery of content, or as periodic payment regardless of whether content is added or not.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 01:43:07 AM by arthwollipot »
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Online Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #74 on: December 12, 2017, 03:02:36 AM »
I do not like this new pattern method, in particular because A show I have been thinking about sponsoring releases two shows a week.  I’m willing to pay the $8/mo to sponsor the show because I think it’s worth it; but I’m not willing to pay $3.04 to Patreon on top of that.  I’m going to contact the show and ask for the option of a monthly payment; I could then pay my $8 and only pay Patreon $0.59

Another option is to pledge at a higher amount and tick the "Optional: Set a monthly max" then set the max at that new pledge amount.

E.g. If the podcast has a $8 a show level, then pledge that. Tick the  "Optional: Set a monthly max" then set it for 1 time per month

This way you will only be billed once a month. The podcast will get exactly the same $7.60 and you save $2.45.

personate-rain