Author Topic: Ads on podcasts  (Read 9229 times)

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
Re: Ads on podcasts
« Reply #90 on: January 22, 2018, 11:32:13 AM »
I once got something after hearing about it on a podcast. I think it was Oh No, Ross and Carrie who advertised the library e-book app Libby. The app was free. Borrowing library books through the app is free. I don't know how they monetize it. More often than not the book I want is not available from my library, but I've gotten 2 or 3 books that way. The rest of the time I go back to Kindle.

I tried that app. It was an exercise in frustration. First of all, the base selection of titles seemed pretty crappy. And when I did find one I liked, it was only available on Kindle, or else it had a waiting list of several weeks or even months before I could get a copy.

So I just went back to using Audible. Unfortunately, under a capitalist system it's mostly true that you get what you pay for.

Online daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #91 on: January 22, 2018, 02:05:37 PM »
I once got something after hearing about it on a podcast. I think it was Oh No, Ross and Carrie who advertised the library e-book app Libby. The app was free. Borrowing library books through the app is free. I don't know how they monetize it. More often than not the book I want is not available from my library, but I've gotten 2 or 3 books that way. The rest of the time I go back to Kindle.

I tried that app. It was an exercise in frustration. First of all, the base selection of titles seemed pretty crappy. And when I did find one I liked, it was only available on Kindle, or else it had a waiting list of several weeks or even months before I could get a copy.

So I just went back to using Audible. Unfortunately, under a capitalist system it's mostly true that you get what you pay for.

You should be able to read books directly in the Libby app on a tablet. That's what I did. Yeah, the selection is limited, and based in what your local library has. Remember going to the library? Sometimes a book you wanted was out and you had to put a hold and wait in line. Anyway, it's all free.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #92 on: January 22, 2018, 08:34:20 PM »
Having only enough space for a limited number of copies was to be expected in an age when information was printed on physical media like paper. Nowadays it's just a matter of licensing. I'm not bothering with any online service that makes me wait 6 months to read a book. I'll just buy the damn thing on Audible.

Online daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #93 on: January 23, 2018, 08:21:51 AM »
Having only enough space for a limited number of copies was to be expected in an age when information was printed on physical media like paper. Nowadays it's just a matter of licensing. I'm not bothering with any online service that makes me wait 6 months to read a book. I'll just buy the damn thing on Audible.

I check Libby. If I can get the book I read it there. If not, I buy it on Kindle. I'm not going to abandon a free library ebook service just because it only has the book I want once in a blue moon.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #94 on: January 24, 2018, 11:30:59 AM »

I check Libby. If I can get the book I read it there. If not, I buy it on Kindle. I'm not going to abandon a free library ebook service just because it only has the book I want once in a blue moon.

Yeah, I guess that's a good point. I could certainly do with more of that kind of frugality.

personate-rain