Author Topic: Ads on podcasts  (Read 9750 times)

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
Re: Ads on podcasts
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2017, 11:57:31 AM »
PocketCasts has (customizable) skip forward & back buttons.

iCatcher just has 30 seconds forward and back buttons. That works for me.

No, iCatcher’s are customizable.  Settings > General > Playback > Controls.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2017, 01:55:38 PM »
PocketCasts has (customizable) skip forward & back buttons.

iCatcher just has 30 seconds forward and back buttons. That works for me.

No, iCatcher’s are customizable.  Settings > General > Playback > Controls.

Gosh! Thanks for that. (I'll probably still stick with 30 seconds, though.)  :)
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2017, 07:12:21 AM »
I was listening to first Thank Good I am an Atheist and then Undisclosed. I must have had four or five T Mobile commercials in a row when switching between them.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2017, 04:52:18 AM »
I started listening to a new podcast, and the ads are beginning to intrigue me.

What is the reason that a mattress company decided to advertise broadly through the medium of podcasts? I have heard (well, furiously skipped) their bullshit on a number of  unrelated podcasts and I am rather bamboozled.

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2017, 07:17:10 AM »

What is the reason that a mattress company decided to advertise broadly through the medium of podcasts? I have heard (well, furiously skipped) their bullshit on a number of  unrelated podcasts and I am rather bamboozled.
So you'll discover their foam mattress and buy it before you discover that less expensive foam mattresses are sold elsewhere?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 07:19:27 AM by DevoutCatalyst »

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2017, 07:24:05 AM »

So you'll discover their foam mattress and buy it before you discover that less expensive foam mattresses are sold elsewhere?

I know how advertisements work in general :)

My point is that if you are a company that sells mattresses, why do you go out of your way to podcast audiences? Some ads, like those for Audible and Great Courses Plus make all kinds of sense, but mattresses?

If it was appearing on podcasts talking about beds, furniture or sleep, I could maybe comprehend it, but this is not the case.

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2017, 08:16:10 AM »
If it was appearing on podcasts talking about beds, furniture or sleep, I could maybe comprehend it, but this is not the case.

Everybody sleeps. A lot of people like to think they are early adopters of the next big thing so why not try and entice the entire podcast universe? What interests me is how skeptics can be purchased to hawk banal products and turn off their skepticism in the service of something they maybe oughtn't shouldn't.

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2017, 09:04:18 AM »

I know how advertisements work in general :)

My point is that if you are a company that sells mattresses, why do you go out of your way to podcast audiences? Some ads, like those for Audible and Great Courses Plus make all kinds of sense, but mattresses?

I'd guess podcast ads are a lot cheaper than either radio or TV.  Plus, most of the companies that advertise on podcasts specialize in internet sales.  They probably figure folks that listen to podcasts are more comfortable buying mattresses over the internet?

But generally I agree with you, lots of the adds just seem weird to me.  The internet mail service?  The only people that need that are the folks that run the merch section of the podcast website.  The rest of us that send something via actual post maybe once a a year?

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2017, 09:24:01 AM »

I'm going to guess the idea is saturation advertising. People who listen to podcasts probably listen to a lot of different ones, and if they bombard you often enough they create familiarity and they hope you will begin to think of them as trustworthy just because you've heard their ads so many times in so many places. And as Ah.hell mentions, it's probably the cheapest medium in which to run ads.

Pretty much all internet ads run into the same issue that Rai mentions: A lot of the stuff advertised can be gotten much cheaper at a local store, and pretty much all of it can be gotten cheaper at Amazon than from the companies advertising. Another one I hear is Nature Box. So-called "natural" snacks delivered to your door. Nowadays grocery stores have a "natural" section where you can buy exactly the same stuff cheaper. Or you can go to the regular part of the store and get it cheaper yet without "natural" on the label. Hell, there are even podcast ads for "Bark Box," which is "Nature Box" for your dog. There's a whole aisle in the grocery store for pet supplies, including toys and treats, much cheaper, and your dog doesn't care if it doesn't say "natural" on the label. But for some reason, apparently people are happy to pay inflated prices for these kinds of things.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2017, 10:57:41 PM »
There may be a few exceptions. I did get dollar shave club after learning about them from podcast ads and they are really convenient and I think cheaper than going to the store for razors.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Jaloopa

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2017, 04:19:54 AM »
Having a beard is even cheaper

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2017, 09:23:24 AM »
There may be a few exceptions. I did get dollar shave club after learning about them from podcast ads and they are really convenient and I think cheaper than going to the store for razors.
This s a product I love because I used to always forget new razors and ended up shaving with beat up old razor blades. 

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2017, 01:39:42 PM »
This s a product I love because I used to always forget new razors and ended up shaving with beat up old razor blades.

Probably my biggest reason

I am curious if the clothing online rental businesses are useful for women?
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2017, 01:54:23 PM »
I am getting pretty annoyed with my skeptical podcasts shilling for Omaha Beef.  It's really hard to hear people I respect raving about a company that sells inferior meat at exorbitant prices like that.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2017, 03:57:52 PM »
I am getting pretty annoyed with my skeptical podcasts shilling for Omaha Beef.  It's really hard to hear people I respect raving about a company that sells inferior meat at exorbitant prices like that.

I have not heard an ad for them yet. I guess I'm not listening to the same podcasts. (There are a couple, including the SGU where I get the ad-free version.)
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

personate-rain