Author Topic: Ads on podcasts  (Read 1801 times)

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Re: Ads on podcasts
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2017, 04:24:31 PM »
I am getting pretty annoyed with my skeptical podcasts shilling for Omaha Beef.  It's really hard to hear people I respect raving about a company that sells inferior meat at exorbitant prices like that.

Including the SGU  :(

I think I could go to Walmart and buy all that meat for about half as much.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2017, 06:20:09 PM »
I am getting pretty annoyed with my skeptical podcasts shilling for Omaha Beef.  It's really hard to hear people I respect raving about a company that sells inferior meat at exorbitant prices like that.

I priced out some of their cuts. For four 12-oz. ribeyes they charge $99.99—for ungraded beef!  I can get four fresh, hand-cut USDA Choice 12-oz ribeyes at Costco for $27, and it’s really excellent beef.  Or I can go to my local butcher shop and pick up four USDA Choice Certified Angus Beef ribeyes for $36.  Either one would blow Omaha’s out of the water.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2017, 02:46:07 AM »
I know that I cannot afford $10 a meal for each person in my household (only 3) several times a week. Selling those meal delivery companies as a way of saving money is something that bothers me.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline John Albert

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2017, 09:20:37 AM »

True story, I was actually in the grocery store at the meat counter listening to the SGU on my headphones when I heard them do that ad. I was quite disappointed.

But on the other hand, they have to pay the bills, right? How do podcasters get these endorsements for mattresses, razor blades, and mail order food delivery? Is there some agency that sets them up with the ads? Or are they contacted by the companies directly?

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2017, 01:26:14 PM »
Broadcasters (including podcasters) have a dilemma: The funding paradigm is largely advertising, at least in the U.S. But since most advertising basically consists of lies and convincing people to buy the inferior or more expensive brand of something, there are very few if any advertisers that a strictly ethical person would accept. A podcast that refused all unethical ads, or ads for overpriced or inferior products, would not be able to pay for its production and bandwidth.

I take the view that all ads are fraudulent or are advertising grossly over-priced goods and services, and I skip through them if my hands are not otherwise busy. I often listen while cooking, and I might be too far from the iPod to bother, but generally I skip them.

The alternative is to charge for content, but Americans are extremely resistant to this concept. We'll pay for books or to go to a theater, and we'll pay for cable to access tv or internet, but we expect content on the internet or broadcast over the air to be free, and by and large, we accept advertising as the means of paying for it. I don't like ads, but I rate them as almost zero importance compared to the seriously fucked-up state of the world today.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2017, 02:12:18 PM »
What do people think of the Cognitive Dissonance crew advertising Adam & Eve?
Seems like as good a fit as any although I understand it would not work for many.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline John Albert

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2017, 10:57:12 AM »
What do people think of the Cognitive Dissonance crew advertising Adam & Eve?
Seems like as good a fit as any although I understand it would not work for many.

Doesn't bother me. Those guys have a ribald sense of humor, so they make it work.

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2017, 01:05:04 PM »
I'm certainly super aware these days I can get recipes and food ingredients delivered, where to go to get audio books, there are all kinds of companies willing to send me curated boxes of stuff, I can get razor blades mailed to me, if I was hiring there are online recruiting services I can use, and so on.

I've not yet once availed myself of any of these services. But I sure know they're out there.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2017, 01:15:08 PM »
I know that I cannot afford $10 a meal for each person in my household (only 3) several times a week. Selling those meal delivery companies as a way of saving money is something that bothers me.

The fact is that many people eat out several times a week and spend more than that.  For them, meal prep companies like BlueApron and HelloFresh can be both a healthier and a cheaper option.

What do people think of the Cognitive Dissonance crew advertising Adam & Eve? Seems like as good a fit as any although I understand it would not work for many.

Doesn't bother me at all.  I can't imagine that anyone's offended by those adds who's not offended by the show itself anyway.  And, as they point out, they're a fairly sex-positive show.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2017, 04:36:12 PM »
I'm certainly super aware these days I can get recipes and food ingredients delivered, where to go to get audio books, there are all kinds of companies willing to send me curated boxes of stuff, I can get razor blades mailed to me, if I was hiring there are online recruiting services I can use, and so on.

I've not yet once availed myself of any of these services. But I sure know they're out there.

I once got something after hearing about it on a podcast. I think it was Oh No, Ross and Carrie who advertised the library e-book app Libby. The app was free. Borrowing library books through the app is free. I don't know how they monetize it. More often than not the book I want is not available from my library, but I've gotten 2 or 3 books that way. The rest of the time I go back to Kindle.

So, one useful add from one podcast. It also happens to be the only podcast I listen to that makes ads enjoyable to listen to. Maybe it's just because Carrie's voice is so infectiously cheerful.

Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2017, 04:57:42 PM »
Shortly after my wife gave birth we rotated through the introductory offer on pretty much all of the pre proportioned meal boxes available.  The were really handy and convenient.  They may reduce food waste but they sure has hell waste a ton of packaging.  We still have a box full of ice packs and a bunch of tiny little bottles for spices.  The commercials for those do bother me.  They aren't especially cheap and the always claim to reduce waste but don't mention that is for only certain kinds of waste.  They are probably healthier and cheaper than eating out and probably a great way for folks who don't cook to learn that it isn't that hard and they are super convenient. 

I also love mail order razor blades.  Cheaper than the same product in the store and I don't shave with a rusted blade for a week before I finally get a new one. 

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Off to a Start
« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2017, 05:07:54 PM »
Shortly after my wife gave birth we rotated through the introductory offer on pretty much all of the pre proportioned meal boxes available.  The were really handy and convenient.  They may reduce food waste but they sure has hell waste a ton of packaging.  We still have a box full of ice packs and a bunch of tiny little bottles for spices.  The commercials for those do bother me.  They aren't especially cheap and the always claim to reduce waste but don't mention that is for only certain kinds of waste.  They are probably healthier and cheaper than eating out and probably a great way for folks who don't cook to learn that it isn't that hard and they are super convenient. 

Wonder what these companies' dumpsters look like?

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2017, 06:20:11 PM »

Maybe I should rotate through the introductory offers myself to get replacement ice packs for my lunch boxes   >:D

I also love mail order razor blades.  Cheaper than the same product in the store and I don't shave with a rusted blade for a week before I finally get a new one.

Seems to be the best of them.

I have thought about $20 a month for the Great Course instead of listening to podcasts while driving / walking/ etc.
Edit: I think it used to be more than $20, I think it was $50. 
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 06:26:42 PM by Desert Fox »
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2017, 09:16:04 AM »
Carrie Poppy is a treasure.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2017, 09:37:29 AM »
(click to show/hide)

Maybe I should rotate through the introductory offers myself to get replacement ice packs for my lunch boxes   >:D
You quickly have more than you know what to do with. 

Seems to be the best of them.

I have thought about $20 a month for the Great Course instead of listening to podcasts while driving / walking/ etc.
Edit: I think it used to be more than $20, I think it was $50. 
I also subscribe to audible which includes some of the great courses.  Generally worth it for me as I almost never have time to actually read these days.

personate-rain