Author Topic: Ads on podcasts  (Read 2997 times)

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Reef Tank Owner
Re: Ads on podcasts
« Reply #75 on: December 12, 2017, 08:29:58 PM »
PayPal charges 2.2% + $0.30 for non-profit donations.

The problem is credit card processing fees.

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #76 on: December 12, 2017, 08:52:39 PM »
PayPal charges 2.2% + $0.30 for non-profit donations.

So that's better than using Patreon. And PayPal lets you set up recurring payments. Which you can cancel at any time. Or just manually give once a year.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline 2397

• Well Established
« Reply #77 on: December 13, 2017, 04:44:50 AM »
If I haven't said it here before, I do prefer SGU's option of either ads or paid membership.

I think it's quite rude to ask your listeners to support your podcast, and go on about how you're providing them content for free or even thank them for giving money and say that that is how you're able to do the podcast, without mentioning the ads that you regularly drop into the podcast. The ads mean that you've sold the content. You don't just sell the slot where you place the ad. If that was the case, the ad could've been its own episode.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 04:47:54 AM by 2397 »

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #78 on: December 13, 2017, 10:57:36 AM »
I have no issue with podcasts asking for money. I haven't done an ep of mine in a year or more, mostly because I'm old and tired. But when I was doing it I never asked for anything. I use godaddy and they seem to give me unlimited bandwidth for a couple hundred a year. The <$500 a year I spent on the podcast was well worth the occasional recognition I'd get or the emails from some wannabe TV producer trying to create a conspiracy TV show.

That said, hell, if you can make it your full time job, more power to you.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline 2397

• Well Established
« Reply #79 on: December 13, 2017, 11:21:31 AM »
I'm fine with them asking for money when there are no ads.

A rating going from preferred to never bothering with it might look like this;

• No ads, asking for donations.
  • No ads, asking for payments for extra content.
  • Ads, but you can pay to have it ad-free. No paid content.
  • No ads, no free content.
  • Ads, and asking for donations.
  • Ads, and charging for extra content.
  • Ads on paid content.

I put extra content below donations, because I'd prefer to give money to keep the content freely available, rather buy it. If I was straight up buying something, I'd buy something other than a podcast. So I suppose 4 should be lower since I don't buy podcasts, but I have more respect for the more direct approach.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 12:18:33 PM by 2397 »

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #80 on: December 13, 2017, 03:32:51 PM »
I'm fine with them asking for money when there are no ads.

A rating going from preferred to never bothering with it might look like this;

• No ads, asking for donations.
  • No ads, asking for payments for extra content.
  • Ads, but you can pay to have it ad-free. No paid content.
  • No ads, no free content.
  • Ads, and asking for donations.
  • Ads, and charging for extra content.
  • Ads on paid content.

I put extra content below donations, because I'd prefer to give money to keep the content freely available, rather buy it. If I was straight up buying something, I'd buy something other than a podcast. So I suppose 4 should be lower since I don't buy podcasts, but I have more respect for the more direct approach.

What about a straight-up paywall for the podcast? People pay for cable TV: No pay, no cable content. I would guess such a plan would fail because people are used to getting internet content for free. But it seems a legitimate model. Maybe that's what you meant by #4?

I'm actually happy enough with the present system. Most podcasts are available free and most have ads. A few have an ad-free version and some have extra content behind a pay wall. And all, or nearly all ask for donations, whether or not they have an ad-free pay version. I skip through ads. And I donate to podcasts I like.

I don't hear the ads on the SGU so I cannot comment on them. The only really obnoxious ads on the podcasts I listen to are on Car Talk and Skeptoid. But again, I skip through them. I've never bought anything from a podcast ad, though I did download the free Libby app for borrowing library books for free after hearing about it on Ross & Carrie.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline 2397

• Well Established
« Reply #81 on: December 13, 2017, 04:14:07 PM »
Yeah, that's number 4.

Cable TV is number 7.

Offline Darksand

• Brand New
« Reply #82 on: December 14, 2017, 04:02:49 PM »

Are you saying that your podcast app inserts ads that were not in the podcast? I use iCatcher and I've never had that happen.

I listen at home so I can always skip through ads. I find (good) podcasts too distracting to listen to while driving. I save all my attention for the road.

I tried to look into it, but can only find Apple is (or was planning) to ad ads to its podcast app, but i am not sure now if it is the app or apples podcast library where the ad is put in. What i do know is that the ads are in Dutch (my language).

By the way, my first years of driving my car, i couldn't even listen to music, I had the same problem, it distracted me to much too, but i got used to it and i love it now, music aswell as podcasts and audio books.

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #83 on: December 14, 2017, 05:38:32 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Darksand.

I quit using the Apple podcast app almost immediately. Worthless app. I use iCatcher.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #84 on: December 14, 2017, 11:46:15 PM »
The Ads must be added where the Podcast is stored.

I get Australian ads on Skeptoid. But on nothing else. Only what the podcaster has added themselves.

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #85 on: January 12, 2018, 06:00:28 PM »
Heard an interesting one with Thank God I am an Atheist to donate plasma.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline moonwrangler

• Off to a Start
« Reply #86 on: January 13, 2018, 12:10:40 AM »
I have no problem with the SGU having ads, but I've always thought the ad-reads were awkward. I listen to other podcasts that have ads, and they don't feel out-of-place at all.  i couldn't put my finger on the reason until recently.

What I finally realized that SGU does different than the other podcasts I listen to is that they will often switch-off reading the script of the same ad. On EVERY other podcast I listen to, only one host will read the script for a particular ad, while other hosts might ad-lib remarks or comments. One some shows they might take turns reading different ads, but I've ever had another podcast switch ad script readers during the same ad.

Has anyone else noticed that?

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #87 on: January 13, 2018, 09:57:29 AM »
I have no problem with the SGU having ads, but I've always thought the ad-reads were awkward. I listen to other podcasts that have ads, and they don't feel out-of-place at all.  i couldn't put my finger on the reason until recently.

I put my finger in a different place. They sound wooden because they are marionettes with strings attached. Sceptiques sans scepticisme. I noticed at this forum when members gave product advice they were trying to help the person to not overpay nor go too cheap on the specs and why. All brands potentially considered. The rogues heap praise irrespective of value or specification and with allegiance to a single maker. Paid mouths with Trump-like sincerity and effervescence.