Author Topic: D&D Modules... favorites?  (Read 1794 times)

Offline 6EQUJ5

• The Swoligator
  • Keeps Priorities Straight
D&D Modules... favorites?
« on: November 09, 2017, 05:45:59 PM »
We are starting up a new D&D game and I think we might start with a module to get all the new players acclimated. Who has favorites?
I've got to go.  Have you got a clock?  I'm meant to be helping save the Universe.

Online random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Well Established
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
Re: D&D Modules... favorites?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 06:13:05 PM »
Phandelver is a nice one for beginners. I've run it twice now, and it can go real quick, or the DM can modify it to be as long as they want (one of my Phandelver games is still going, after a year of playing almost every week; they are just starting the last area now).

Colville swears by a few modules from old editions; I haven't tried them, and they would require some minor work to be converted to 5th ed, but they seem cool. He also has a nice example of a first adventure, which I've tried before and works pretty well on new players. It is designed to only take just one session, give or take. He talks about them here:
(click to show/hide)
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Online John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 06:58:32 PM »
Some friends of mine are having a lot of fun with Tales from the Yawning Portal.

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Too Much Spare Time
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 02:57:26 AM »
We are starting up a new D&D game and I think we might start with a module to get all the new players acclimated. Who has favorites?
At first level, "We Be Goblins" is a blast.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/2j31l5/we_be_goblins_5e/
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline 6EQUJ5

• The Swoligator
  • Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 04:54:57 PM »
Phandelver is a nice one for beginners. I've run it twice now, and it can go real quick, or the DM can modify it to be as long as they want (one of my Phandelver games is still going, after a year of playing almost every week; they are just starting the last area now).

Colville swears by a few modules from old editions; I haven't tried them, and they would require some minor work to be converted to 5th ed, but they seem cool. He also has a nice example of a first adventure, which I've tried before and works pretty well on new players. It is designed to only take just one session, give or take. He talks about them here:
(click to show/hide)

Awesome resources, thank you so much!

Thanks for the great input everyone.
I've got to go.  Have you got a clock?  I'm meant to be helping save the Universe.

Online arthwollipot

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 11:42:39 PM »
Personally, as a GM, I absolutely love Out of the Abyss. It has a great story that is slowly uncovered, including some mystery. It has excellent NPCs that the players can become really attached to, some real challenges and just a hint of Carroll-esque whimsy.

That said, I'd also really love to run Tomb of Annihilation, but I probably won't get the chance to for some time.
Self-described nerd

Offline Sidewalk Skeptic

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • SidewalkSkeptic
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 07:26:23 PM »
The Barrier Peaks module was a lot of fun. It did stray from D&D because you were exploring a crashed ship instead of a cave or dungeon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2018, 08:13:37 PM »
Wasn't Expedition to the Barrier Peaks the module that first introduced the illithids as a D&D monster?

Online random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Well Established
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 08:04:10 PM »
There is this new tool for finding modules that is made to be … encyclopedic. That is to say they want to add all the modules to it, where they can then be searched by type, setting, enemies, etc. It is ambitious, and it already works pretty well, from what I hear.

Here: www.adventurelookup.com
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Too Much Spare Time
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 12:19:58 PM »
Neat! I've been taking the party through one called Solstice Shenanigans on dmsguild, makes for about a 6hr one-shot. Has non-combat stuff, combat, and if you're a fan of voice you can really sink your teefs into the characters provided as a DM.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

HIISSSSSSSS

Online arthwollipot

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2018, 01:56:54 AM »
I also very much like the 3rd edition campaign Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil, which was written by one of my favourite 3rd edition authors, Monte Cook, who also wrote my favourite D&D book of all the D&D books I own, the Book of Vile Darkness.
Self-described nerd

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2018, 11:05:56 AM »
I haven't played modules in a long time, but the original Ravenloft 2e was spectacular. I had 2 new players and 5 experienced players, used all the prophecies at once, and amped up Strahds power tone a match for the whole party. It was quite a few sessions of play, but it was amazing.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline SkepticalEsquire

• Well Established
  • Cthulhu is Love
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2018, 11:56:58 AM »
Not useful for a 5e game, but my all time favourite is still Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth.  Sexy Vampire finale!
Canada -Land of shitty music and bears.

Online arthwollipot

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2018, 05:01:06 PM »
I haven't played modules in a long time, but the original Ravenloft 2e was spectacular. I had 2 new players and 5 experienced players, used all the prophecies at once, and amped up Strahds power tone a match for the whole party. It was quite a few sessions of play, but it was amazing.
The new version is just as good.
Self-described nerd

Offline Eltox

• Brand New
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2018, 07:13:04 AM »
Loved all of the Ravenloft campaigns... but that was back in AD&D 2ndEdition ... ah the good old days.... Also anything Darksun.

personate-rain
personate-rain