Author Topic: Episode #644  (Read 321 times)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
Episode #644
« on: November 11, 2017, 11:43:40 AM »
What’s the Word: Ontology; News Items: Risks of Gluten Free, Wormholes, Reversing Cell Aging, Gadolinium Law Suits, Universal Flu Vaccine; Who’s That Noisy; Your Questions and E-mails: Lava Tubes; Science or Fiction
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
Re: Episode #644
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 01:52:09 PM »
I can only read the abstract, but Dr Novella shouldhave a look at the entire article and report back to the listeners.  The lead author, Dr Fasano, is the discoverer ao zonlin and a (the) leading expert opinion on celiac disease.

Dr. Fasano In my humble opinion, it's a big deal. First, we've moved gluten sensitivity, also called gluten intolerance, from a nebulous condition to a distinct entity—and one that's very distinct from celiac disease. Gluten sensitivity affects 6 to 7 times more people than celiac disease so the impact is tremendous./quote]

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25583468
"Our minds are not quite designed to understand how the world works, but, rather, to get out of trouble rapidly an have progeny."  Nassim Nicholas Taleb

Online daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 05:21:10 PM »
I'm under the impression that Relativity does not predict wormholes, it merely does not rule out the possibility of them. This is an important distinction. I'm also under the impression that it does say that if they exist, no information can pass through them. So if you did go through one, what came out the other side would not be you any more.

Someone said that a lava tube could be enlarged by repeated use. This conflicts with what I thought I knew about lava tubes. When visiting Volcano State Park in Hawaii I was told that a lava tube is formed when a lava flow is no longer being fed, it cools from the outside first. Thus the outside solidifies before the inside. The inside therefore continues to flow, and can drain out from the now-hardened outside shell, leaving the tube. A later flow using the same tube would not enlarge it. There are several in Hawaii big enough to walk through.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline TimberGeek

• Off to a Start
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 12:22:37 PM »
SWMBO and I are big fans of Gluten Free mania, she's got Celiac so it's made shopping much easier the past few years.

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 03:12:04 PM »
SWMBO and I are big fans of Gluten Free mania, she's got Celiac so it's made shopping much easier the past few years.
I have it too.
My biggest irritation is things that dont necessarily need to contain gluten but do.
Its added to porridge oats for example, so I have to go out of my way to pay more for oats without this extra bit added.

Its also in way more sauces than it needs to be.
Im definitely in favour of fighting the cultural trend toward woo regarding it but Im also REALLY sick of being interrogated everytime someone notices that Im ordering something unusual or asking questions. Only when they are satisfied that I have a 'real' medical issue may we resume.

Online daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 04:11:19 PM »
I have it too.
My biggest irritation is things that dont necessarily need to contain gluten but do.

I have the same issue now with salt. They put it in stuff where it's not needed. I was going to buy some frozen fish. Frozen fish ought to be just fish. But no, this fish had a bunch of salt added. One piece would have been something like 1/5 or 1/4 of my daily salt allowance. I'm not talking about breaded or flavored or smoked fish. The only two ingredients were fish and salt.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 04:32:03 PM »

The folic acid added to bread in some localities is not folate.  The iron (filings) added to wheat products is not bioavailable.  One does not become deficient in these micronutrients from eating a gluten free diet.

We are not celiac in our household but wheat leaves me constipated and druwsy so I avoid it,  it used help keep a bit of podge around my waist as well.
"Our minds are not quite designed to understand how the world works, but, rather, to get out of trouble rapidly an have progeny."  Nassim Nicholas Taleb