Author Topic: Looking for good article on Chemotherapy vs other cancer treatments  (Read 218 times)

Offline Tom B

• Brand New
My niece is on a kick about how chemotherapy is a sham to make money and "real" treatments are being hidden. People are dying faster, she claims.

I'm looking for an article that discusses this bs in terms better than I can express. She's young and her "research," I suspect, is largely Facebook articles.

Online daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
Re: Looking for good article on Chemotherapy vs other cancer treatments
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 05:02:22 PM »
Have you looked through the Science-Based Medicine blog?

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Calinthalus

• Stopped Going Outside
    • My Page
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 06:18:20 PM »
I don't know about specific articles making a comparison, but according to the NIH source the 5 year rate for all cancers in 1974-1976 was 50%, in 2007 it was 68%.  There's a lot more detail at that link.  The simple increase in survival would seem to indicate that the premise of "people are dying faster" is nonsense.

As a cancer survivor, it never actually occurred to me to not do chemo.  I was lucky and my cancer was fully curable with surgery and chemo, so I ran with it. If I was stage IV pancreatic or something I might decide differently (because honestly chemo sucks)...but if there is a good chance of survival with it I can't imagine not taking it.

That being said, I sit here drinking mead reading an article about how drinking even moderate alcohol can increase your risk of cancer and say "fuck it"...so maybe my judgement isn't that good anyway.

Dr. Gorski (?) over at SBM used to do a lot of good articles about cancer.  If you want to go in a little more depth about the history of cancer I suggest the book The Emperor of All Maladies.  There are good sections in there about how we have thought about cancer, medically, through history including treatment and survival.  They made a Ken Burns documentary based on the book, but I haven't seen it yet.

"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline Tom B

• Brand New
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 09:20:42 PM »
Thanks, I think that's a pretty good summary. I'm pretty sure she'll blow me off, but I gave her a fairly detailed reply. We'll see if any of it sticks.

Offline London27

• Off to a Start
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 08:02:36 AM »
My niece is on a kick about how chemotherapy is a sham to make money and "real" treatments are being hidden. People are dying faster, she claims.

I'm looking for an article that discusses this bs in terms better than I can express. She's young and her "research," I suspect, is largely Facebook articles.
I'm not sure there's much you can do. Once someone has reached that mindset it's almost impossible to free them of it. If she's surrounded by like minded people tjen it's a tuff one. It's like believing in the literal interpretation of a particular religion or a cult even. Short of abducting them and forcing them to understand there's like that can be done in the short term. It'll be a long term solution if there is one. Teaching them the logic of critical thinking and science is the the only cure. All depends on how much effort you are willing to put in to it. You may even end up pushing her more towards that conspiracy theory mindset.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

Cheers,

London27

Offline MTBox

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • "The last best place" to be, in or out of a box
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 02:10:41 PM »
Did you point out the dichotomy to her:

"chemotherapy is a sham to make money"

"People are dying faster, she claims"

If you want to make money, you don't want them to die sooner. You want more time for more treatment.

Offline Tom B

• Brand New
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 05:57:04 PM »
That was what I emphasized. An  actual cure would make far more money, and it was the sham artists cashing in rather than the researchers looking for a cure. Although her mother liked my comment, she hasn't responded. As expected, she sends inured to conflicting points of view. We'll see, I suppose.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 03:50:05 AM »
I guess it depends on the chemo...  8 hours with a drip  one's arm, two days in hospitalwith a saline drip flushing the poison out of one's body,  feeling as bad as one can possibly imagine, told to flush the dunny twice... made me stop afte only one session.  I survived (surgery and radiatiotherapy did the trick; with a lot of help from my beautiful wife) and, of course, cisplatin was ditched for oral cancer as, well, useless.

It's all a n of one experiment till you die.
"Our minds are not quite designed to understand how the world works, but, rather, to get out of trouble rapidly an have progeny."  Nassim Nicholas Taleb

personate-rain
personate-rain