Author Topic: AGW rejection in early SGU episodes  (Read 740 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster
AGW rejection in early SGU episodes
« on: November 12, 2017, 05:23:29 PM »
I've been listening to part of the backlog of the SGU, about episode 1-45 or so at this point (in addition to also keping up with the new weekly ones). They talk about human-caused global warming and how likely it is. Perry seems inclined to believe it's bullshit, whereas Steve seems inclined to believe it's real. But apparently rejecting AGW seems to be a respectable standpoint to all participants.

Now I know that these episodes are more than a decade old, so I wonder if this rejection of AGW (Perry) or acceptance of it, but still seeming to think rejection of AGW is a respectable position (Steve), is due to the data and body of evidence being much less strong then than today, or if it is because of political bias playing a role? Perry's Republican beliefs are no secret, and were even affirmed on some later episode by Steve ("Perry was very Republican" or something of the sort is the quote from Steve).
"Large skepticism leads to large understanding. Small skepticism leads to small understanding. No skepticism leads to no understanding." - Xi Zhi

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Cache rules everything around me.
Re: AGW rejection in early SGU episodes
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 05:32:37 PM »
Wasn't it clear by that point?  Probably political.
Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.

Online John Albert

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 05:42:57 PM »
The science of climatology had reached a consensus about AGW long before 2007. I seem to remember the political debate for public opinion here in the US just starting to heat up some time in the 1990s. In fact, I'm certain we discussed it in some classes when I was in college.

Wasn't James Randi also a climate change denier until some time in the mid-aughts?

Online Jaloopa

• Off to a Start
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 03:22:48 AM »
Wasn't James Randi also a climate change denier until some time in the mid-aughts?

Not sure about Randi but Bill Nye was, and now uses it as an example of him being a good scientist and changing his mind when presented with new evidence

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 08:12:45 AM »
I believe that Perry was the strongest “skeptic” of AGW and that the others generally took the attitude that it was likely but not proved, probably in deference to Perry.  I believe that their approach to AGW changed relatively quickly after Perry’s death.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 08:23:35 AM »

Not sure about Randi but Bill Nye was, and now uses it as an example of him being a good scientist and changing his mind when presented with new evidence

I know he switched stances with GMO but concerns about Human caused Global Warming are actually quite old.

"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 09:32:22 AM »
What ever, I changed my mind around 2005-2007, I won't judge folks to harshly he were a little bit later.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 12:18:55 PM »
What ever, I changed my mind around 2005-2007, I won't judge folks to harshly he were a little bit later.

No problem there just never heard anything where Bill Nye was on the climate change skeptic side.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Jaloopa

• Off to a Start
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 01:16:14 PM »
Oh yeah, my bad. It was GMO that Nye was skeptical of, not climate change

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 01:21:43 PM »
Yeah, it was GMO's.  I'm pretty sure Nye's been on board with AGW for quite a while.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online John Albert

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 02:04:57 PM »
Apparently, James Randi was publishing articles criticizing AGW as recently as 2009.

Online arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 02:35:47 AM »
Yes, and then he changed his mind. Penn said some anti-AGW stuff at TAM6, which he largely ramped back in a followup at TAM7.

People can change their minds. They're supposed to change their minds in the face of evidence. That's called good thinking.

Online John Albert

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 04:27:52 AM »
People can change their minds. They're supposed to change their minds in the face of evidence. That's called good thinking.

Absolutely, I wholeheartedly agree. I was just trying to gauge the time frame for when that shift happened.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2017, 09:00:54 AM »
Now if Perry would have changed his mind or not, nobody knows.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline jt512

• Well Established
    • jt512
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2017, 02:25:40 PM »
My recollection from around 2007 is that skpticism about AGW was a minority view among environmental scientists, but still a reasonable one.  My girlfriend, a theoretical chemist with research interests in environmental chemistry, was not convinced at that time and knew several environmental scientists who were also then unconvinced.