Author Topic: Classic World of Warcraft relaunch announced by Blizzard  (Read 167 times)

Online lobsterbash

• Not Enough Spare Time
Classic World of Warcraft relaunch announced by Blizzard
« on: November 13, 2017, 09:51:23 AM »
This is old news by now, but I'm just curious of anyone here is remotely interested in this.

http://www.pcgamer.com/this-is-how-blizzard-plans-to-finally-bring-back-vanilla-wow-servers/

I could not care less about the game as it is today, but for some reason I can't stay away from the 2005 version of the game (have been playing on private/illicit servers off and on for a while).

Offline frothy

• Not Enough Spare Time
Re: Classic World of Warcraft relaunch announced by Blizzard
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 04:05:10 PM »
It's got me the most interested in MMOs than I've been in many years.

Whether I'll still be interested when it's finally released or not, I have no idea.

Offline Calinthalus

• Stopped Going Outside
    • My Page
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 04:22:24 PM »
When all of my guildies started dumping EQ for WoW, I pretty much slowly quit playing MMOs entirely.  I've never actually played WoW.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Online lobsterbash

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 05:07:54 PM »
When all of my guildies started dumping EQ for WoW, I pretty much slowly quit playing MMOs entirely.  I've never actually played WoW.

If EQ is your baby, you'll probably find classic WoW lame or redundant. But you never know! Things could be more interesting with a Skeptics guild ;)

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 06:09:14 PM »
I never played classic WOW but have enjoyed playing from time to time. I'll play for a few months, than get bored and cancel for awhile. I dislike the monthly fee and talk myself out of paying it even though I can afford it. Currently though I don't have enough time to play all the games I want that don't have monthly fees that I don't see myself getting back in anytime soon.

Online lobsterbash

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 06:15:31 PM »
I never played classic WOW but have enjoyed playing from time to time. I'll play for a few months, than get bored and cancel for awhile. I dislike the monthly fee and talk myself out of paying it even though I can afford it. Currently though I don't have enough time to play all the games I want that don't have monthly fees that I don't see myself getting back in anytime soon.

I hear ya. Terraria is a one-time payment cheaper than 1 month of WoW and is a phenomenal game.

Offline Nemmzy

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 10:01:27 PM »
I have lots of fond memories of vanilla and BC. I would probably consider leveling up a character for a few months and then turning my account back off. I wouldn’t touch raiding with a 10 foot poll.

I quit around the end of  Cataclysm. I played Mists on a private server for a bit. I attempted to come back for Warlords and lost interest after a month.  I moved from casual to hardcore just as BC hit. Raiding in vanilla and prepping to raid in vanilla took 30 pulse hours a week if you wanted to kill a good chunk of content. Very few guilds manage to defeat Naxxramas which is why Blizzard brought back a nurffed version. Probably less then 10% of the players had even seen the first wing of something that was a huge number of development  hours for the company. 40 man raids meant you needed at least 60 active members. I think people forget about all of grinding for consumeables you had to do. I was in a guild that topped my server rankings for all of BC and a good chunk of WotLK and boy does that suck the life out of one’s life. I think for most of my old guild mates we were just too old to give the game the kind of time it requires to get anything done even with the last few expansions being much easier. We were too stuckup to be in a casual guild. So most of us just quit a few months into the raids opening in Warlords. I know they did attempt to get the band back together for Legion but I didn’t bother.

I do very little gaming now outside of what the kiddos like to play. Really the last two games I played that were not Mario were Witcher and BotW. I would worry I wouldn’t be able to limit myself. So I tend to stay away from MMOs. But, I must say I am tempted

Also, Actavison- Blizzard could it be their fundamentals are not as good as the market believes and they are looking for way to salvage a shrinking customer pool for one of their flagship brands? Legion was clearly an attempt to capitalize on the nostalgia for BC in the community. Legion brought back a lot of players possibly even new ones as subs were rumored returned to BC and  WotLK levels but it didn’t last. It seems Legion couldn’t remake the BC magic after the initial praise for the expansion came out and they have nothing new in the pipe they really believe in. So now their going to try the nostalgia route again with the exact clone (or very close) of the older version rather than something new with lots of references to the old. I wonder what their plan is to lure people off the private servers that host classic now? It has to be something more that just a clone. But, it seems they want it to be very close to the original.

But, then again their stock is up so what do I know? I think investors still believe what they have been saying since the split with Vivendi and acquisition of King which is WOW subs and Call of Duty expansions can be leveraged into ingame purchases structure common in mobile games. So people are spending $500 or more a year or more on one game. If a customer bought an expansions and played for a year they were spending a little over $200. So it is not far off to think this could be the future and a very profitable one as well.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 10:05:15 PM by Nemmzy »

Online lobsterbash

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 10:22:30 PM »
It seems Legion couldn’t remake the BC magic after the initial praise for the expansion came out and they have nothing new in the pipe they really believe in. So now their going to try the nostalgia route again with the exact clone (or very close) of the older version rather than something new with lots of references to the old. I wonder what their plan is to lure people off the private servers that host classic now? It has to be something more that just a clone. But, it seems they want it to be very close to the original.

I'll just reply to this bit of your wall of text ;). I don't think Blizzard is approaching the classic relaunch with money as the motivator. I think they genuinely want to give their fans what they want and pay homage to the thing the company created. I point to Diablo II again and again, and how amazing that model is in the gaming industry... yes Blizzard stuck some ads in the Battlenet client, but keeping their online hosting of the game going for over 2 decades is really an expense for customer loyalty and goodwill. I'm very confident that the product will be extremely similar to the original, enough to mostly satisfy the purists.

I also don't think Blizzard needs to lure people from private servers. Sure, some will remain because it's free, but a great deal have said that they will pay for a quality, official product. However, while I haven't seen a word about pricing, it better not be the same fee as live. Nothing would justify that.

I might dabble in casual raiding, but yeah, nobody with a family should do that shit seriously. The charm of the relaunch is that it's up for the long haul, and so you can take it at your own pace without worrying about your progress being made completely obsolete with an expansion. I dream about maybe completing an epic tier one day.

personate-rain