Author Topic: Comics What are You Reading?  (Read 405 times)

Offline Nemmzy

• Keeps Priorities Straight
Comics What are You Reading?
« on: November 14, 2017, 10:54:31 PM »
I seem to be in the mist of a comic reading cycle. Typically every few years I will read them every weekend non stop for like 6 months the promptly forget they exist for about 3 years. This is what I am reading right now and I was wondering what other people here might be reading.

Saga - This is a alternative comic but I think they have reach mainstream reader levels. It single handily sucked me back into comics. It’s a space opera about star crossed lovers; soldiers on opposite sides of a ever raging war as told by their daughter. It weird, wonderful, violent, and thoughtful. It mixes fantasy and science fiction you see clear influences from Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones, and several classic comics. I do not recommend it for kids but it may be great for a mature teen.

Monstress - I love the art style of this it is an art deco meets eastern step lands look. Probably one of the boldest fantasy pieces I have ever read and that is including novels. I just finished the 2nd volume.  It is about a world where 4 distinct races exist and they have fallen into an never ending war over what one can produce in death. The societies of the book are matriarchal and the central character is a 17 year old girl missing an arm. But, she is far more powerful then she initially seems. The book is very dark and will trigger people who don’t like scenes where children are harmed. It is just as bad if not worse than Maus in its graphics nature. However, like Maus the horror furthers the story it’s not just there for shock value. It opens with a slave auction and human experiments. I think it has great things to say about the construction of the other. How we dehumanize our enemies to legitimize committing the exact same acts we accuse them of. It also has a lot to say about in groups and out groups. It is a surprisingly political comic for something that never mentions modern politics.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
Re: Comics What are You Reading?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 12:49:06 AM »
I love Saga. It is easily my favourite comic and Fiona Staples' artwork is mind-blowingly outstanding.

Definitely not for kids.  ;) Even I can be shocked (in a fun "I didn't expect to see that in a comic" way), at times.

I also read "The Walking Dead". Not as good as it was, but still worth reading.

Of completed series, I loved "Locke and Key". A nice bit of Gothic Horror from Stephen King's son, Joe Hill.

Offline Nemmzy

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 11:04:07 AM »
I love Saga. It is easily my favourite comic and Fiona Staples' artwork is mind-blowingly outstanding.

Definitely not for kids.  ;) Even I can be shocked (in a fun "I didn't expect to see that in a comic" way), at times.

I also read "The Walking Dead". Not as good as it was, but still worth reading.

Of completed series, I loved "Locke and Key". A nice bit of Gothic Horror from Stephen King's son, Joe Hill.

As far as "I didn't expect to see that in comic" goes a certain Robbot Kingdom birthing scene comes to mind. :O

I have not read the Walking Dead. I should really pickup some of the earlier volumes.

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 01:55:30 PM »
Had to cut waaaay back.

Saga
Paper Girls
Mech Cadet Yu
Ms. Marvel
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl
Groo
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 05:29:43 PM »
Invincible (which should be done in 2 months) is one of the best superhero stories Ive ever read.

Injustice 2- This actually sucks but Im reading it with friends.

Southern Bastards- The release schedule for this has been all over the place but its an incredible story of small town bitterness and violence.

Mister Miracle- Just started. The structure is really interesting. Basically, a B grade hero with the world on his shoulders, no real appreciation from anyone for what he does and an obligation to lead the armies of new genisis against Darkseid.
I havent quite figured out whats happening but it deals with depression in an interesting way and is by Tom King, one of the best writers currently working.

Punisher: The Platoon
Garth Ennis using Frank Castle to tell a Vietnam war story. Only 2 issues in but looks like it could stack up against Born.
No one writes soldiers like Garth Ennis and its a thing I appreciate deeply, while not being too happy with how he idolises them.

Offline Pyrus

• Off to a Start
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 08:54:30 AM »
Saga is great. In the not-for-kids genre, I would also recommend Oglaf, LOVESYCK, & I Roved Out in Search of Love and Truth (very NSFW). LOVESYCK is one of the most stylistically unique works of art I've encountered.

Goblins is also pretty good, though it's been awhile for me. I too go through phases in regards to comics.

Offline Nemmzy

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 11:18:39 AM »
Had to cut waaaay back.

Saga
Paper Girls
Mech Cadet Yu
Ms. Marvel
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl
Groo

I have been thinking of picking up Paper Girls but haven't got around to it yet.

Punisher: The Platoon
Garth Ennis using Frank Castle to tell a Vietnam war story. Only 2 issues in but looks like it could stack up against Born.
No one writes soldiers like Garth Ennis and its a thing I appreciate deeply, while not being too happy with how he idolises them.

I haven't picked up a Punisher comic since I was a kid. It sounds like an interesting concept.

Saga is great. In the not-for-kids genre, I would also recommend Oglaf, LOVESYCK, & I Roved Out in Search of Love and Truth (very NSFW). LOVESYCK is one of the most stylistically unique works of art I've encountered.

Goblins is also pretty good, though it's been awhile for me. I too go through phases in regards to comics.

I am not familiar with LOVESYCK I will have to look it up.

personate-rain
personate-rain