Author Topic: Firefox Quantum?  (Read 1008 times)

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Firefox Quantum?
« on: November 15, 2017, 10:06:32 AM »
Anybody use Firefox and what do they think of Firefox Quantum?
Does seem to run much smoother than previous editions although videos seem to be treated differently.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Mr. Beagle

• Frequent Poster
Re: Firefox Quantum?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 10:21:31 AM »
This update killed the main reason I still use Firefox, which is the FireFTP extension for handling my website FTP. Bummer.
Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 10:31:13 AM »
Mostly like it. Some extensions are broken. The last build would crash when I had videos paused in multiple tabs, haven't had that problem yet with Quantum. Was getting fed up with the previous FireFox.

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 10:52:02 AM »
I havn't used firefox in awhile but heard good things about it. I may try it out but have been pretty happy with chrome.

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 11:48:35 AM »
This update killed the main reason I still use Firefox, which is the FireFTP extension for handling my website FTP. Bummer.

I have always used an external FTP client. I would wait and see if there is an updated version as well.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Mr. Beagle

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 11:53:33 AM »

I have always used an external FTP client. I would wait and see if there is an updated version as well.

The company says they are done with Firefox. Too bad, as it was the smoothest way to move files while still in the browser that I had found.
Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 12:02:37 PM »
I haven’t used Firefox in years, though it was once by far my preferred browser.  I’ll be interested to see how the new version shakes out.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 01:54:21 PM »
A long time ago, in a galaxy not very far away, in fact this very one, I used to use Firefox, and I liked it. Then an update broke my (Windows) computer. I got the computer going again, but switched to Chrome. Someday, perhaps Chrome will break my computer and I'll switch again. But until that time comes, I'm sticking with Chrome. Occasionally a web site won't work with Chrome and then I hold my nose and use Safari.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 02:06:46 PM »
It will be interesting to see how my Australian Rules Football games look in FireFox Quantum. I admit to using Microsoft Edge all last season because the video never has glitches, looks like a regular television HD broadcast. Whereas Chrome and FireFox had the annoying minor stutter periodically.

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 02:24:58 PM »

The company says they are done with Firefox. Too bad, as it was the smoothest way to move files while still in the browser that I had found.

Have you tried Fillezilla?
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline jt512

• Well Established
    • jt512
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 02:56:59 PM »

The previous update broke my main reason for using Firefox: the Pentadactyl extension, which facilitates mouseless operation of the browser.  I switched to the Palemoon spin-off of Firefox and haven't looked back.  It's noticeably faster than Firefox, and I haven't noticed any limitations with it. 

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 06:57:45 PM »
I've used Firefox for like forever. I like it but have noticed in th last year it has been a bit dodgy. Is Quantum an upgrade or a separate download?
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 07:09:05 PM »
I've used Firefox for like forever. I like it but have noticed in th last year it has been a bit dodgy. Is Quantum an upgrade or a separate download?

My 64-bit updated itself to Quantum, so upgrade.

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2017, 03:33:47 AM »

I was noticing too that the old Firefox was not acting as friendly as it once was.

One item I don't understand is that Firefox Quantum is Firefox 57. Why not make it Firefox Q1. I think it is a whole new build. 
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Jaloopa

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2017, 09:08:35 AM »
One item I don't understand is that Firefox Quantum is Firefox 57. Why not make it Firefox Q1. I think it is a whole new build.

Because high version numbers are important. That's the entire reason they started changing the major version every 6 weeks shortly after Chrome did

personate-rain