Author Topic: Firefox Quantum?  (Read 2422 times)

Offline arthwollipot

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Observer of Phenomena
Re: Firefox Quantum?
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2017, 04:26:51 PM »
I've got an update stored up, but it requires a restart to be applied and I haven't done that since it messes up my "show unread posts since last visit" screen. I'm hearing good things about it though - except for it breaking certain add-ins that I don't use.
Self-described nerd

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2017, 04:38:52 PM »
I've got an update stored up, but it requires a restart to be applied and I haven't done that since it messes up my "show unread posts since last visit" screen. I'm hearing good things about it though - except for it breaking certain add-ins that I don't use.

I find that Flash Video Downloader does not work as well. I could before download multiple videos at the same time from YouTube but now limited to one at a time.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline arthwollipot

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2017, 04:44:03 PM »

I find that Flash Video Downloader does not work as well. I could before download multiple videos at the same time from YouTube but now limited to one at a time.
I don't use it, because I don't need to download and store video when I have unlimited streaming. I literally only have three add-ons - LastPass, uBlock Origin and Evernote Clipper. I don't anticipate any problems.
Self-described nerd

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2017, 05:54:49 PM »
I don't use it, because I don't need to download and store video when I have unlimited streaming. I literally only have three add-ons - LastPass, uBlock Origin and Evernote Clipper. I don't anticipate any problems.

I have limited bandwidth at work on mobile hot spot. In addition, sometimes I find a documentary I like that which I want to have just in case it goes away later. Still, it is something I can work through. 
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline arthwollipot

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2017, 09:11:27 PM »

I have limited bandwidth at work on mobile hot spot. In addition, sometimes I find a documentary I like that which I want to have just in case it goes away later. Still, it is something I can work through.
Totally fair enough (why are you downloading Youtube videos at work, btw?). I had to re-download LastPass, but otherwise it seems to be pretty reliable. There are some visual changes that'll take some getting used to, but other than that.
Self-described nerd

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2017, 09:25:56 PM »

Totally fair enough (why are you downloading Youtube videos at work, btw?). I had to re-download LastPass, but otherwise it seems to be pretty reliable. There are some visual changes that'll take some getting used to, but other than that.

I download at home and watch at work. I work security, stuck by myself and effectively "watching paint dry" for hours. Helps me stay awake.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline arthwollipot

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2017, 09:38:56 PM »

I download at home and watch at work. I work security, stuck by myself and effectively "watching paint dry" for hours. Helps me stay awake.
Yeah, makes sense.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 09:42:55 PM by arthwollipot »
Self-described nerd

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2017, 02:33:55 PM »
I've been using Safari as my primary browser since 2008, and it has only continued to get better.  Its interface conforms better to the OSX GUI standards (which is very important to me); it provides good protections against tracking, phishing, and flash; and it is blazing fast (though somewhat more processor- and memory-hungry at least than the new Firefox).  It also integrates well with my iPhone and provides a consistent experience across platforms.

I keep chrome on my computer for the occasional webpage that won't work in Safari.  I haven't had Firefox on my computer in several years.  I'm considering checking it out, but I doubt it will displace Safari as my default browser.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2017, 02:41:44 PM »
I've been using Safari as my primary browser since 2008, and it has only continued to get better.  Its interface conforms better to the OSX GUI standards (which is very important to me); it provides good protections against tracking, phishing, and flash; and it is blazing fast (though somewhat more processor- and memory-hungry at least than the new Firefox).  It also integrates well with my iPhone and provides a consistent experience across platforms.

I keep chrome on my computer for the occasional webpage that won't work in Safari.  I haven't had Firefox on my computer in several years.  I'm considering checking it out, but I doubt it will displace Safari as my default browser.

I've found myself using Safari more and more.  The new cross site tracking protection is great.  The only thing I really want to be able to do is get rid of flash, but that's a problem for every browser.
#non-belief denialist

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2017, 03:09:57 PM »
I've found myself using Safari more and more.  The new cross site tracking protection is great.  The only thing I really want to be able to do is get rid of flash, but that's a problem for every browser.

Flash is at least disabled by default in Safari, now, which is a big improvement. If a site provides an alternative, that's what you'll get.  I don't mind clicking to enable flash one a per-site basis if that means I don't get bombarded with flash on random websites.  But, yes, Flash needs to die.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2017, 03:36:53 PM »
I think I don't have flash on my computer. Occasionally I see a window with something to the effect of "You need flash to view this content." I can live with that. Other times (e.g. some but not all Chrome updates) a web site prompt me to install Flash. I ignore them. I don't think I've visited a web site in years that had content I really wanted that required Flash.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2017, 05:00:30 PM »
I just upgraded from Firefox 45 ESR to 52 ESR (Extended Support Release).  All of my add-ons are still compatible, even ones last updated in 2016 for 45, which I guess that means there is API backwards-compatibility. But it sounds like 57 introduces a new add-on API which requires updates for all add-ons. As of this moment NoScript, for example, is not compatible with Firefox 57:

https://forums.informaction.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=23173

Offline Mr. Beagle

• Stopped Going Outside
    • When God Plays DIce
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2017, 10:02:03 AM »
This update killed the main reason I still use Firefox, which is the FireFTP extension for handling my website FTP. Bummer.

I have always used an external FTP client. I would wait and see if there is an updated version as well.

The company says they are done with Firefox. Too bad, as it was the smoothest way to move files while still in the browser that I had found.

Have you tried Fillezilla?

Thanks. I configured it to work today, although I miss just having FTP in another browser tab.
Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color
now blogging at http://godplaysdice.com

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2017, 12:32:06 PM »
Thanks. I configured it to work today, although I miss just having FTP in another browser tab.

I pretty much always used a separate FTP program myself. I will say that Filezilla does have some nice tricks as part of it.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline MTBox

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • "The last best place" to be, in or out of a box
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2017, 03:50:36 PM »
I hated the new Folder icon as flat gray. I just installed the style file to put back "manila" folders.

personate-rain