Author Topic: Firefox Quantum?  (Read 994 times)

Online arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
Re: Firefox Quantum?
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2017, 05:57:02 PM »
One new feature I do like, though it is subtle. When a tab is loading in the background, it "flashes" when done. This is a nice indication in my peripheral vision when I'm reading another tab. I like it.

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2017, 07:19:37 PM »
One nice thing is that it works effectively with dual core, quad core, and eight core processors.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2017, 07:20:21 PM »
I like it,  i feel like the sum is more than the parts.  It isn't beating chrome in a bench marks but it feels faster
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline MTBox

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • "The last best place" to be, in or out of a box
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2017, 04:19:23 PM »
I find it interesting that the style file must be named Chrome and goes into a folder named chrome; the info I found for explaining this is that "another company" decided to co-opt that name for its own competing product, but Mozilla development used it from the early days, for User Stylization nomenclature.

Online Jaloopa

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2017, 05:09:30 AM »
Chrome has pretty much always meant the window decoration outside of the page you're on. It wasn't a great name for the Chrome browser really, since one of their distinguishing features was that it massively reduced the amount of window chrome

Online arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2017, 03:49:27 PM »
Especially since these days it seems to be such a memory hog.

I stopped using Chrome ages ago.

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2017, 07:49:45 AM »
My god what happened? Quantum installed on my desk top and everything went to a screeching halt. I can't find my bookmarks. The system is slower then a snail. Even as I type this I can type it faster then it shows on the screen(I'm not a fast typer). This really is horrible. I'm going to have to see what happened. This can't be right, I must have done something wrong.

Update: well I got it to run normal. I had to go to Options, Privacy and Security. Then I needed to click on Prevent Accessibility services from accessing my browser. That worked. It was amazing how much it slowed down the system. I can see a lot of people just dumping it and going back to chrome after this update. It should have been a default setting.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 08:15:14 AM by xenu »
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2017, 08:09:28 AM »
My god what happened? Quantum installed on my desk top and everything went to a screeching halt. I can't find my bookmarks. The system is slower then a snail. Even as I type this I can type it faster then it shows on the screen(I'm not a fast typer). This really is horrible. I'm going to have to see what happened. This can't be right, I must have done something wrong.

My rooomate had quantum install itself corrupted. . . .Maybe something like that happened?
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2017, 08:16:38 AM »

My rooomate had quantum install itself corrupted. . . .Maybe something like that happened?

See my update I got it to work.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2017, 10:59:07 AM »
This update killed the main reason I still use Firefox, which is the FireFTP extension for handling my website FTP. Bummer.

Exactly. It's like they want to drive you to Chrome by killing off all your favorite addons. I reinstalled 56.0.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2017, 01:48:44 PM »
This update killed the main reason I still use Firefox, which is the FireFTP extension for handling my website FTP. Bummer.

Exactly. It's like they want to drive you to Chrome by killing off all your favorite addons. I reinstalled 56.0.

I think you're going to just need to wait a bit.  There was no way for them to make the huge improvements that they did AND keep the old way of interacting with addons.
#non-belief denialist

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Off to a Start
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2017, 01:58:02 PM »
Huge improvements maybe. I did get a "green screen" while I had multiple tabs opened with YouTube videos paused. But it didn't crash FireFox like it did before.

personate-rain