Author Topic: Superman and God  (Read 23886 times)

Offline Johan

• Banned
  • Keeps Priorities Straight
Superman and God
« on: November 16, 2017, 05:18:40 AM »
Oh, we would have loved to have a Superman.  He can just fly around and help us with everything.  Stop the floods.  Stop the falling buildings in an earthquake and take food to the poor etc.  I think we can add many more. 

And we?

We will just be his inferiors.  Looking up at him.  He is our hero.  We want one.  And we just wish we could have been the same.  But we know it is impossible.  There is only one Superman.  And he is not God.  Just Superman.

And then there is God.

So much different.

But True Love and the fulfillment of our deepest longings that we ourselves didn't even know existed.

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Re: Superman and God
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 05:31:02 AM »
In a universe where there is superman, you can watch him on the television. You can prove he exists.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Johan

• Banned
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 05:42:05 AM »
In a universe where there is superman, you can watch him on the television. You can prove he exists.

Yep.  And you can watch him fly.  And you can "enjoy" his life and wish you were the same.

Would leave us very unfulfilled.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 08:05:13 AM »
I don’t know.  There’s always someone smarter or faster or better-looking or richer or more talented or braver than us.  I don’t find myself despairing and unfulfilled because of that fact.

And then there is God.

Assumes facts not in evidence.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 08:27:07 AM »
I think the OP's point is that the only difference between Superman and God is that one is in a comic book and the other is in the Bible, which is a much older comic book. God is nothing but ancient Israel's comic-book hero. Maybe, if the human race survives, people in two thousand years will think we actually believed in Superman, and some of them will, too.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Too Much Spare Time
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 09:09:03 AM »
Oh, we would have loved to have a Superman.  He can just fly around and help us with everything.  Stop the floods.  Stop the falling buildings in an earthquake and take food to the poor etc.  I think we can add many more. 

And we?

We will just be his inferiors.  Looking up at him.  He is our hero.  We want one.  And we just wish we could have been the same.  But we know it is impossible.  There is only one Superman.  And he is not God.  Just Superman.

And then there is God.

So much different.

But True Love and the fulfillment of our deepest longings that we ourselves didn't even know existed.

How does God address the problem of evil?
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 09:54:05 AM »
I think the OP's point is that the only difference between Superman and God is that one is in a comic book and the other is in the Bible, which is a much older comic book. God is nothing but ancient Israel's comic-book hero. Maybe, if the human race survives, people in two thousand years will think we actually believed in Superman, and some of them will, too.

I do not think that's his point at all.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Johan

• Banned
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 10:11:34 AM »
I don’t know.  There’s always someone smarter or faster or better-looking or richer or more talented or braver than us.  I don’t find myself despairing and unfulfilled because of that fact.

And then there is God.

Nope.  Your judgment to early. 

Offline Johan

• Banned
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 10:15:21 AM »

You thought it out very nicely.  But with the wrong assumption.  I actually said God is better.  Because Superman's powers are very limited compared to God.  He will leave us unfulfilled while God will leave us fulfilled. 

Offline Johan

• Banned
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 10:18:48 AM »

And we?

And then there is God.

So much different.

How does God address the problem of evil?

Much better because He is much more than superman.  While superman struggles with the symptoms God cuts it at the roots, the origin.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 10:19:55 AM »

And then there is God.

I don't believe I understand this response.

Offline Johan

• Banned
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 10:20:48 AM »

I do not think that's his point at all.

In the ability of the humans' race of "thinking" some miss and some hit.  Just the problem of "thinking".

So do not be to hard on him that missed.  You just hit  . . .this time.

Offline Johan

• Banned
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 10:38:31 AM »

And then there is God.

I don't believe I understand this response.

Ok no problem.  I believe there is facts and evidence.  Superman will be worshiped for his abilities.  And the humans will lack what he has.  As he has much that they do not have they will be either jealous or wishing they had the same and in general will just feel very inferior to him which is actually the truth.  As happiness are the result of what humans are and have they will perceive themselves as lacking and unfulfilled. 

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2017, 10:57:13 AM »
As happiness are the result of what humans are and have they will perceive themselves as lacking and unfulfilled. 
And what?  Lots of folks already perceive themselves as lacking and unfulfilled, as has been noted, most everyone knows someone that's better looking, smarter, more successful, stronger, etc than they are, facebook already does what you think superman would do. 

So what follows from this?   If its God, then please connect the dots.

Offline Johan

• Banned
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2017, 11:27:33 AM »
As happiness are the result of what humans are and have they will perceive themselves as lacking and unfulfilled. 
And what?  Lots of folks already perceive themselves as lacking and unfulfilled, as has been noted, most everyone knows someone that's better looking, smarter, more successful, stronger, etc than they are, facebook already does what you think superman would do. 

So what follows from this?   If its God, then please connect the dots.

Yep.  God Loves us and is able.  So He is not flying around fixing all the "disasters" while we are just looking on and depending on and marveling at and wishing we could have been.

personate-rain