Author Topic: Episode #645  (Read 5031 times)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
Episode #645
« on: November 18, 2017, 11:30:02 AM »
Forgotten Superheroes of Science: Mary Swartz Rose; News Items: Scientists’ Warning, Smart Pills, Fact Checking on Facebook, Fast Electron Emissions; Who’s That Noisy; Your Questions and E-mails: German; Science or Fiction
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
Re: Episode #645
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 01:16:47 AM »
Superweeds, not an issue?  You are obviously not a farmer.  They are a big deal.  They won't eat you in the middle of the night, but the expense of dealing with them will.  You might stick to neurology, something you know about.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline PabloHoney

• Off to a Start
  • How many pits are in a pear?
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 09:01:50 AM »
Congratulations on that lawsuit news, :steve:!
You basically shot a pumpkin ball up that fruitcake's ass and slapped him around with the hot mops. 

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 10:08:19 AM »
I was hoping and expecting to see some follow-up on the shrimp SoF question.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline PabloHoney

• Off to a Start
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 10:08:44 AM »
The advert for a pantload of steaks is kind of ironic isn't it, being in the same episode as the warning about humans destroying the environment. 
Beef seems to have a massive negative impact on the environment.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_impact_of_meat_production

Why not talk about how that particular sponsor compensates for their effects (if they do?) or advertise for someone like Memphis Meats instead? 

I'm no vegetarian, for the record, but try to remain cognizant of my beef consumption. 
Hope I'm not violating some protocol by poo pooing a sponsor - not my intent - I just found the contrast striking. 

Offline PabloHoney

• Off to a Start
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 10:15:06 AM »
Superweeds, not an issue?  You are obviously not a farmer.  They are a big deal.  They won't eat you in the middle of the night, but the expense of dealing with them will.  You might stick to neurology, something you know about.

Far be it from me to speak for the man, but it seemed he was responding to specific claims that there's a risk of superweeds being resistant to "everything," like antibiotic-resistant bacteria.  Didn't seem to me like he was suggesting they're a complete non-issue in all cases. 

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 10:20:02 AM »

But they're not superweeds. They're just developing immunity to the herbicide that you don't want farmers to be using anyway. The use of glyphosate does not make weeds any more resistant than they were before to all the other ways farmers have of killing them.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2017, 10:22:24 AM »
I was hoping and expecting to see some follow-up on the shrimp SoF question.

Me, too. I was wondering if maybe I'd missed an episode where they talked about it.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2017, 11:41:50 AM »

But they're not superweeds. They're just developing immunity to the herbicide that you don't want farmers to be using anyway. The use of glyphosate does not make weeds any more resistant than they were before to all the other ways farmers have of killing them.

Weeds that become resistant to glyphosate are called 'suprerweeds'. Loss of the ability to control them with the cheaspest and safest chemicals is a big deal, especially for producers of certified seed.  Just because we don't generally use herbicides (or soluble fertliser) on our farm doesn't we don't want all farmers to use glyphosate. 
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2017, 02:46:36 PM »

Weeds that become resistant to glyphosate are called 'suprerweeds'. Loss of the ability to control them with the cheaspest and safest chemicals is a big deal, especially for producers of certified seed.  Just because we don't generally use herbicides (or soluble fertliser) on our farm doesn't we don't want all farmers to use glyphosate. 

I'm not sure what you are advocating. Pests become resistant to pesticides. Glyphosate is in that sense no different than any other pesticide. Before glyphosate (and other herbicides) farmers had to kill weeds by tilling. Once they become resistant, farmers will again have to kill weeds by tilling. Roundup-ready seeds allow farmers to use glyphosate. Once the weeds become resistant, glyphosate will no longer be useful and farmers can go back to using other kinds of seeds. And older methods of weed control.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2017, 04:10:06 PM »
Ja wohl!

Ypsilon is actually the word for Y in german. As in Ix, Ypsilon, Zett (X Y Z). But, yes, it does have a Y in it.  :evan:

It is rare, found in a lot of borrowed and very technical words, but here are a few more common everyday-use ones: physik (physics), gymnasium (high school), zyklon (cyclone), zylinder (cylinder), typisch (typical), systeme (systems), Bayern (Bavaria), Ägyptische (Egyptian).
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. -- Hitchens.

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 01:25:09 AM »
In Soviet California, judicial system SLAPPs you!

On a more serious note, I take it that Science-Based Medicine is owned and operated by the Society for Science-Based Medicine (SfSBM), which is a 501(c)(3)?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 01:29:00 AM by stands2reason »

Offline Mr. Beagle

• Stopped Going Outside
    • When God Plays DIce
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 08:34:16 AM »
A lot of the chemical effort in industrial agriculture today is suppressing last year's drop. For instance Iowa farmers rotate corn and soybeans, but when you go with soybeans this year, you have a problem with "volunteer corn," which is seed from last year's corn growing among your beans.

So you get in this viscious chemical cycle of needing to sustain the rotation. In the past, you would hire a kid to "walk the beans," pulling volunteer corn and hoeing out other weeds. But we are now industrial, with one guy in a high-tech tractor.
Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color
now blogging at http://godplaysdice.com

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2017, 08:50:31 AM »
That one guy in that high-tech tractor will soon be replaced. That, and a weed killing bot will walk the beans without concern for a miserly stipend.

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2017, 12:35:49 PM »
It's already happened. It's been a couple of decades since beet thinners were introduced and became widespread. Sugar beets have poor germination, so farmers have to plant the seeds thick, and then they used to hire migrant workers to walk the rows and thin the seedlings. Now there is a machine that they pull behind the tractor. It senses the seedlings and zaps the unwanted ones with an electrical spark that kills them, leaving the right number of seedlings in the row. People come up to North Dakota and Minnesota from Texas to work in the sugar beets, but there's much less work for them now, because they're no longer needed for thinning, and there are fewer weeds after the herbicides have done their work.

Not a walking robot. Just a machine pulled behind a tractor.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck