Author Topic: Episode #645  (Read 5269 times)

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
Re: Episode #645
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2017, 12:48:40 PM »
I guessed the right SoF based on what was the most likely story to be the opposite of the real story... it's an interesting technique, but I'm not sure that's the point of the game.

Amend and resubmit.

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2017, 02:39:04 PM »
The advert for a pantload of steaks is kind of ironic isn't it, being in the same episode as the warning about humans destroying the environment.

There's a recurring ad for another food business (I didn't pay attention to this ad, so it could be the same one) that promotes itself as non-GMO, as if GMOs are automatically bad.

Beef does seem to be the worst of the worst of what we eat. Maybe we should try to genetically engineer pigs to produce cattle meat.

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2017, 12:45:14 AM »

Offline Zucchi

• Brand New
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2017, 02:52:00 PM »
It was good to hear some mention of the catastrophic human population explosion.  It's been making me a little nuts, lately, that I keep seeing intelligent people claiming overpopulation isn't a big deal.

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2017, 03:20:16 PM »
It was good to hear some mention of the catastrophic human population explosion.  It's been making me a little nuts, lately, that I keep seeing intelligent people claiming overpopulation isn't a big deal.

In some ways it's not the biggest problem, since there are huge differences in impact per person by country. But one of the primary consequences of massive populations is to remove the local environment, burning down forests, etc. And then what do you do if you want to raise living standards for all these people?

I get annoyed with the Catholic Church declaring their concerns about climate change, while they continue their doctrine of opposition to birth control and condoms. It's so easy to do something about birth rates. We don't have to force people to stop having children, all we have to do is make it easier to choose to not have children. Except we also have to fight those who think it's wrong for people to be able to control their own lives and bodies.

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2017, 08:51:07 PM »
hey, was that 'finish your full course of antibiotics -- or maybe you shouldn't' thing really not mentioned like 2 SGU episodes ago?

I had the distinct feeling when it came up that I had already heard Steve talk about this -- but then Jay, and then Bob, too, piped up like they'd never heard of that study before. I don't keep up with any other science podcasts, so I was so certain it was a topic on a very recent episode. am I crazy?
Quote from: Thomas Carlyle
In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Offline Lucas_r

• Off to a Start
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2017, 09:25:54 PM »
I wonder if the medication tracking system would be a useful tool in keeping opioids from being diverted to the street
 If you're not taking them the doctor doesn't refill the prescription.

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2017, 08:42:42 AM »
I wonder if the medication tracking system would be a useful tool in keeping opioids from being diverted to the street

depends on the drug. if they're something that people typically buy in small quantities and use within the week, if not that night, the bigger problem would be trying to sell only one a day :P
In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Offline Mr. Beagle

• Stopped Going Outside
    • When God Plays DIce
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2017, 09:23:31 AM »

depends on the drug. if they're something that people typically buy in small quantities and use within the week, if not that night, the bigger problem would be trying to sell only one a day :P

In the community health center I volunteered for, regular opioid users signed a contract where they agreed to use as prescribed, and to report for random testing. If they have too much or too little in their system, they are in violation of their contract and are cut off. Too little either means they are selling the pills or taking too much earlier and using up the pills.

I was waiting for a meeting there one day when a lady came in screaming at the receptionist and making threats at the doctor cut her off. They have a security system up front and in every examining room with two buttons. One alerts a manager to respond, and the second calls the sheriff directly and locks down selected parts of the building. They run regular security drills. And this is in very rural Iowa.

The wife of a colleague (and "released" college IT instructor) quit going there because of the restrictions. She would commute 80 miles to Des Moines to see the "pain management" doctor later suspended after the death of a Slipknot band member revealed his very liberal prescriptions. The last I saw this lady she was anorexic and looked near death. I don't know where she was going to get her meds after losing that doctor, but I know she was banned from the local health center.
Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color
now blogging at http://godplaysdice.com

Online daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2017, 11:46:08 AM »
Another source of street drugs would be people who have an injury, have to take pain meds for a while, and then no longer need them once the injury has healed. They could claim continuing pain in order to get a continuing supply. At the very least, they could sell the leftover pills. There's no way in hell I'd risk prison for a few bucks, but someone who's having trouble making ends meet might find the prospect tempting.
Daniel
----------------
“You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.”
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline Lucas_r

• Off to a Start
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2017, 12:37:37 PM »
The digital pills connect to a patch on the outside of the patient, an scripts are typically for a week or two for opioids, basically if they don't see that every pill on the script being used by the paitent they don't give them another one. It seems pretty fool proof and easier than drug testing.

Online lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2017, 02:21:44 PM »
I was amazed at the amunt of morphine I was given at xmas holidays during radiotherapy.  I sill have 2x200ml bottles.  probaby still good.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2017, 10:27:30 AM »
the "pain management" doctor later suspended after the death of a Slipknot band member revealed his very liberal prescriptions.

I can imagine being around that band a lot would require something pretty strong.

Offline skillydog

• Triskaidekaphilic
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2017, 07:52:33 PM »
The advert for a pantload of steaks is kind of ironic isn't it, being in the same episode as the warning about humans destroying the environment. 
Beef seems to have a massive negative impact on the environment.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_impact_of_meat_production

Why not talk about how that particular sponsor compensates for their effects (if they do?) or advertise for someone like Memphis Meats instead? 

I'm no vegetarian, for the record, but try to remain cognizant of my beef consumption. 
Hope I'm not violating some protocol by poo pooing a sponsor - not my intent - I just found the contrast striking.

Funny you should mention this.... I came to the forum looking specifically for a reference for which 'family pack' they mentioned to purchase.  I can't seem to find the exact one on the Omaha Steaks website... but it sounded like a great deal.  I don't eat much steak either, so this would have lasted me and my son for a year with all of the vegetarian cooking my wife typically does!

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2017, 08:52:51 PM »
Beef seems to have a massive negative impact on the environment.
. . .
Why not talk about how that particular sponsor compensates for their effects (if they do?) or advertise for someone like Memphis Meats instead? 

. . . - I just found the contrast striking.

really? and what if the owners of The Great Courses have children? should we talk about how they compensate for the effects of their choices on this planet, too? should Steve and Jay?

personate-rain