Author Topic: Episode #645  (Read 5033 times)

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
Re: Episode #645
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2017, 09:35:29 PM »
The advert for a pantload of steaks is kind of ironic isn't it, being in the same episode as the warning about humans destroying the environment. 
Beef seems to have a massive negative impact on the environment.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_impact_of_meat_production

Why not talk about how that particular sponsor compensates for their effects (if they do?) or advertise for someone like Memphis Meats instead? 

I'm no vegetarian, for the record, but try to remain cognizant of my beef consumption. 
Hope I'm not violating some protocol by poo pooing a sponsor - not my intent - I just found the contrast striking.

Funny you should mention this.... I came to the forum looking specifically for a reference for which 'family pack' they mentioned to purchase.  I can't seem to find the exact one on the Omaha Steaks website... but it sounded like a great deal.  I don't eat much steak either, so this would have lasted me and my son for a year with all of the vegetarian cooking my wife typically does!

Do yourself a favor and skip the mail-order crap.  Get down to a good butcher shop.  You can get a lovely never-frozen U.S.D.A Choice steak cut to order for less than half the price Omaha asks for its ungraded, chemically-tenderized, frozen beef.  If you have a Costco membership, you can get a pre-cut Choice steak for a third the price Omaha asks.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Mr. Beagle

• Stopped Going Outside
    • When God Plays DIce
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2017, 06:25:37 AM »
The major commercial fluff in Omaha steaks is the exaggeration of their portion sizes. They are tiny in real life, in my experience.
Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color
now blogging at http://godplaysdice.com

Offline PabloHoney

• Off to a Start
  • How many pits are in a pear?
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2017, 02:55:12 PM »
The advert for a pantload of steaks is kind of ironic isn't it, being in the same episode as the warning about humans destroying the environment. 
. . .
Why not talk about how that particular sponsor compensates for their effects (if they do?) or advertise for someone like Memphis Meats instead? 

. . . - I just found the contrast striking.

really? and what if the owners of The Great Courses have children? should we talk about how they compensate for the effects of their choices on this planet, too? should Steve and Jay?

Hi sir.  No.

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2017, 04:22:28 PM »
should we talk about how they compensate for the effects of their choices on this planet, too? should Steve and Jay?

The comparison would be valid if they were advertising a course promoting procreation.

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2017, 06:06:57 PM »
should we talk about how they compensate for the effects of their choices on this planet, too? should Steve and Jay?

The comparison would be valid if they were advertising a course promoting procreation.
Truly the greatest course of the great courses
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2017, 04:34:20 AM »
. . .

. . . - I just found the contrast striking.

really? and what if the owners of The Great Courses have children? should we talk about how they compensate for the effects of their choices on this planet, too? should Steve and Jay?

Hi sir.  No.

no, not really?
Quote from: Thomas Carlyle
In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2017, 04:35:21 AM »

so propaganda is only important if money changes hands?
In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2017, 05:31:45 AM »
There are different levels of hypocrisy. Having children and talking about how concerned you are for the environment is different from telling everyone to have children (through breeding in both cases) and that you're concerned about the environment.

Or you could talk about both things, acknowledging that population size is a concern. You could argue for moderation, rather than complete abstinence, for things like flying, eating meat, and reproducing. Or to seek out alternatives when possible.

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2017, 02:34:50 AM »
There are different levels of hypocrisy.

so, your position is that you just like more of it than I do?

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2017, 09:01:40 PM »
I'm not sure what the discussion is about now.

PabloHoney pointed out that it was ironic to specifically promote steaks when they're talking about the negative impacts human have on the environment and climate. My point was that they were indeed promoting it (again, I didn't listen to the ad. I'm assuming it happened until someone challenges it), and that if there was an ad promoting the idea of creating more humans, it would be equally ironic and counter to the message of the episode.

Jay and Steve eating steaks and having babies isn't the same as Jay and Steve telling everyone to eat steaks and have babies. Someone paid them to say to eat steaks, and they accepted. I don't think they've been paid to say, or have otherwise said to have babies. I recall Jay saying "it's not for everyone".

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2017, 04:07:42 PM »
I just don’t understand the outrage that hypocrisy seems to elicit in most people.  It’s like being outraged by selfishness or sexual attraction; they’re just facts of life.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2017, 05:46:25 PM »
When I see hypocrisy in others, I just remind myself that I'm as hypocritical as they are. Generally in different areas.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2017, 06:26:07 PM »
One more in the hypocrisy is just human nature crowd.  If you have standards worth aspiring too, likely you want always meet them.  They eat meat, assuming they like Omaha steaks, they have in the past acknowledged that giving up meat would be good for the environment(IIRC).  Meh, its not like they're advertising homeopathy or something.  If they were a show about environmental causes, maybe I'd be more offended by the Omaha steak commercials. 

Side note, mail order meat seems like a crazy idea to me. 

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2017, 03:22:56 AM »
I just don’t understand the outrage that hypocrisy seems to elicit in most people.  It’s like being outraged by selfishness or sexual attraction; they’re just facts of life.

is it even hypocrisy to put up a verbal billboard along a verbal road?

it's not like they got a vegetarian rogue to promote it or something.

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2017, 03:30:47 AM »
One more in the hypocrisy is just human nature crowd.  If you have standards worth aspiring too, likely you want always meet them.  They eat meat, assuming they like Omaha steaks, they have in the past acknowledged that giving up meat would be good for the environment(IIRC)-

yep. likewise giving up children and cars and trips to Sweden and frivolous halloween costumes and fancy coffees and a billion other drains on global resources ordinary people indulge in...but there's nothing about skeptics guide that says humans ought to give up the consumer lifestyle they can privately afford.

Side note, mail order meat seems like a crazy idea to me. 

I suppose if you leave it sitting out in the sun it's not a great idea, but as long as it's express shipped in ice or dry ice it should be fine (I think it's mostly just horse semen they ship in dry ice), maybe even better than a lot of produce that gets shipped around with no climate controls. this is done routinely with fish, and every year around xmas this picks up with mail order ham in my country (summer season xmas). If anything, I would say the crazier idea is shipping wine in glass bottles sans bubblewrap/polystyrene... a loooooooooot of those just don't make it to the buyer, meat on the other hand typically travels safely.

personate-rain