Author Topic: Old albums that have held up well in their entirety?  (Read 2712 times)

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
Re: Old albums that have held up well in their entirety?
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2017, 02:57:54 PM »
Master of Puppets is just such a monster from start to finish.

I will nominate number of the beast.

Every pre-2010 Opeth album

Pastor of Muppets was my handle for a while.  No one ever got it.

You could also add any XTC album between Drums and Wires & Oranges & Lemons inclusive

Prince - Purple Rain (Really any from Dirty Mind to Around the World in a Day, but PR is the standout)

Another band where basically any from Chronic Town to Fables is a great album, but I go back to reckoning the most, with Fables a close 2nd)

« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 08:55:48 PM by PANTS! »
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2017, 06:11:38 PM »
Almost all the music I like has held up for two and a half centuries or more.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2017, 06:50:27 PM »

Fair enough, yet this is about albums, can you point to some recordings that you consider definitive for your preferred music and have held up over time?

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2017, 06:56:40 PM »

Fair enough, yet this is about albums, can you point to some recordings that you consider definitive for your preferred music and have held up over time?

Not really, because I have no idea which recordings are more popular than others among people who like baroque and renaissance music.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2017, 10:09:56 AM »
(click to show/hide)
Master of Puppets is just such a monster from start to finish.

I will nominate number of the beast.

Every pre-2010 Opeth album

Pastor of Muppets was my handle for a while.  No one ever got it.

You could also add any XTC album between Drums and Wires & Oranges & Lemons inclusive

Prince - Purple Rain (Really any from Dirty Mind to Around the World in a Day, but PR is the standout)

[/spoiler]

Another band where basically any from Chronic Town to Fables is a great album, but I go back to reckoning the most, with Fables a close 2nd)
Mostly good choices except for Prince, sure, great musician great performer, crappy music.

REM, Green and Document are great and hold up, not much after that and I rarely revisit much before that. 

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2017, 10:35:00 AM »
Mostly good choices except for Prince, sure, great musician great performer, crappy music.

REM, Green and Document are great and hold up, not much after that and I rarely revisit much before that.

Man, Prince made great music.  It may have been music you didn't like, but it still was great music.  Very few artists have been able to master so many genres and fuse them so gracefully.  His ease at merging genres often times obscured how skilled he was.  He made it look so easy.  But he was one of the last great singer / songwriters as well as a master musician.  It's OK that you didn't like his music, but it's not true that his music was crappy.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2017, 11:48:15 AM »

Man, Prince made great music.  It may have been music you didn't like, but it still was great music.  Very few artists have been able to master so many genres and fuse them so gracefully.  His ease at merging genres often times obscured how skilled he was.  He made it look so easy.  But he was one of the last great singer / songwriters as well as a master musician.  It's OK that you didn't like his music, but it's not true that his music was crappy.

Plus an outstanding guitarist
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2017, 12:05:39 PM »
I don't deny that he was talented, I just don't think his music holds up.  He is one of the most overrated song writers ever.  Although, nothing compares to you does hold up, its a rare gem.

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2017, 06:49:37 PM »
I don't deny that he was talented, I just don't think his music holds up.  He is one of the most overrated song writers ever.  Although, nothing compares to you does hold up, its a rare gem.

I know I was just adding his guitar playing creds. I don't think people realize how good of a guitar player he was.

I do like the song kiss.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2017, 07:00:29 PM »
Prince was an amazing musician, perhaps the most talented of his generation.

Songwriting, musicianship, performance, arrangement, production, studio engineering, Prince excelled at all aspects of music. And as producer, he curated lots of other talented artists who were overlooked by the big studio industry of his day.

Michael Jackson was also super-talented, but he had Quincy Jones as a producer and professional studio band consisting of the guys from Toto. Prince did all that shit all by his own funky self.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 07:10:56 PM by John Albert »

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2017, 12:18:41 PM »
I think Prince was an excellent rhythm guitar player, but the exaltation he got for his lead playing always had me scratching my head.  Reminded me of "that guy" who shows up at a jam,  stomps on every pedal, plays loud and as fast as possible with little regard for the song.  People frequently point to some concert with other stars where they play "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"--lots of people see something amazing, I see the opposite.

Offline Mr. Beagle

• Stopped Going Outside
    • When God Plays DIce
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2017, 02:24:04 PM »
Yeah, as a 50-year guitar player with aging hands, I never found the thrashers to be that impressive. On the other hand, guys like the Wrecking Crew's Tommy Tedesco and James Burton invented short distinctive licks that basically define hundreds of songs in the sessions they were on, in several genres. That always impressed me.

But then long blues solos put me to sleep. I liked early Hendrix, but the volume and fuzz box covered a lot of sins.
Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color
now blogging at http://godplaysdice.com

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2017, 10:28:16 AM »
Yeah, as a 50-year guitar player with aging hands, I never found the thrashers to be that impressive. On the other hand, guys like the Wrecking Crew's Tommy Tedesco and James Burton invented short distinctive licks that basically define hundreds of songs in the sessions they were on, in several genres. That always impressed me.

But then long blues solos put me to sleep. I liked early Hendrix, but the volume and fuzz box covered a lot of sins.

I'm definitely impressed with the Wrecking Crew and other session aces (esp Steve Cropper and Larry Carlton, etc), but I also quite fine with people taking extended solos, so long as they make it dynamic.
Prince always seemed to be blowing his wad--and usually had some combo of fuzz, compression, delay, phasing etc. Sounded like noise to me. He was a very good funk rhythm player. I never really got into him because he had a tendency to over-produce.

You are right about fuzz/distortion covering sins. I'm a fan of the Grateful dead, but always disliked the bootlegs from the later years because Jerry was going more and more for a "clean" sound--and he would flub and clam notes constantly. He sounded better earlier when he had some overdrive covering his sins.

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2017, 10:43:17 AM »
As a shred guitar lover, I am a fan of a lot of guitarists most people would call guitar wanks and I tend to like players with prodigious skills...so based on that..I'd say that Prince's guitar skills were .... OK  (sigh, I had to change are to were..).

He was a talented all around musician, and the sum was better than the whole of the parts, but compared to true guitar heroes, he was nothing more than decent as a guitarist.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2017, 07:29:48 AM »
What do you guys think of Joe Walsh's(James Gang,Eagles) guitar playing? Just wondering.
Douglas Adams

personate-rain
personate-rain