Author Topic: Google Home Mini vs Amazon Echo  (Read 547 times)

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
Google Home Mini vs Amazon Echo
« on: November 24, 2017, 11:05:49 AM »
Picked one of these Home Minis up. Now I've got 3 more. Gave one to my brother in law, who can't yet get it in Singapore. Have one for my brother for Christmas and one for a family "steal a gift" event. I got an Amazon Echo last year. It didn't work 100% great in Canada but now it's fully supported in Canada. The full sized Echo has pretty good sound. We have it wired to our Spotify account. It's fun to say "Alex play [any song]". The Mini doesn't have very great sound. But if you have a Chrome stick on you TV, it's fun to get the Mini to play Youtube videos automatically on demand. Also the Mini is better wired into your Google apps and the whole Google ecosystem.

The Echo, however, seems to have a lot more third party apps. Although my favorite "meow meow" doesn't seem to work. Meow meow plays cat sounds to your cat. Freaks her right out.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Stopped Going Outside
Re: Google Home Mini vs Amazon Echo
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 03:32:43 PM »
I’ve not yet found any use for these things.  Love my UE boom for music and such, and combined with Siri on my phone that seems adequate for my needs.  CarPlay, on the other hand, I really want.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 08:37:03 AM »
For me, they're great talking weather machines. Like, I'm just about to head out the door. My gloves are on. My phone is tucked away. And I forgot to check the weather. "Alexa, weather."

And being a forgetful person, I'm finding the Google Mini's ability to set reminder that ping me at work when I'm motivated to tackle something other than work is pretty good.

Korean Podcast

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 08:40:28 AM »
For me, they're great talking weather machines. Like, I'm just about to head out the door. My gloves are on. My phone is tucked away. And I forgot to check the weather. "Alexa, weather."

If you are already dressed to the extent that you have gloves on then why don't you, you know, go outside to check? :)

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 08:51:17 AM »
I find my echo pretty useful, it's nice for setting timers when my hands are full like when I am cooking.  My wife uses it to set a reminder for me when she knows I'll be home and she isn't.  There's a few fun games like jeopardy, we listen to music on it quite often, and we have it integrate with a few smart plugs.

Nothing is essential, but it makes those tasks more fun and easier to do.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 09:40:46 AM »

If you are already dressed to the extent that you have gloves on then why don't you, you know, go outside to check? :)

It's a long walk to the outside.

Korean Podcast

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 09:45:30 AM »
We have an Amazon tap and dot but mostly just use the tap to stream music. I know it can do more, and am trying to use it for more, I just never think of asking it stuff in the moment.

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 09:47:50 AM »
I haven't had one, but I like the idea of hooking up various smart home accessories like lights so that they can be activated by voice.

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 10:09:32 AM »

It's a long walk to the outside.

Do you happen to have any windows?

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 11:57:01 AM »
Do you happen to have any windows?

It's usually quite dark out when I leave the house. I'm 51. I know how to check weather, eh. This really works well for me.

Korean Podcast

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2017, 01:44:09 PM »
One thing I like it was have our Echo near our dining table so there's some fun you can have with it, especially with my step daughter. For example, we can get it to tell knock knock jokes or play most any song we verbally request ("Alexa, play the Moana sound track"). We can find out how many sleeps to Christmas or a birthday ("Alex, how many days until May 15"). It can answer questions that might emerge during dinner without having people to fumble for their phones. "Alex, where are lemurs found?"

Korean Podcast

Offline Billzbub

• Frequent Poster
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2017, 03:04:43 PM »
One thing I like it was have our Echo near our dining table so there's some fun you can have with it, especially with my step daughter. For example, we can get it to tell knock knock jokes or play most any song we verbally request ("Alexa, play the Moana sound track"). We can find out how many sleeps to Christmas or a birthday ("Alex, how many days until May 15"). It can answer questions that might emerge during dinner without having people to fumble for their phones. "Alex, where are lemurs found?"

Does it do as good of a job as the Google Home at questions like that?  I thought one of the differences between the two was that the Google Home could do that better, but it sounds like Alexa is working great for you.
Quote from: Steven Novella
gleefully altering one’s beliefs to accommodate new information should be a badge of honor

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2017, 04:50:08 PM »
Been running Alexa for a full year now. It's been great to play ocean waves music at night as I fall asleep and it just stops after an hour. Also great to control the lights from wherever. My girlfriend will go to bed with every light in the house turned on, so it's nice to just roll over and tell Alexa to handle it rather than get out of bed.
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline Jaloopa

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2017, 05:30:15 AM »
Been running Alexa for a full year now. It's been great to play ocean waves music at night as I fall asleep and it just stops after an hour. Also great to control the lights from wherever. My girlfriend will go to bed with every light in the house turned on, so it's nice to just roll over and tell Alexa to handle it rather than get out of bed.

I'm curious how much it cost to upgrade all the lights to be controllable via Alexa and how long the electric savings would take to make a positive ROI

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2017, 10:17:28 AM »

I'm curious how much it cost to upgrade all the lights to be controllable via Alexa and how long the electric savings would take to make a positive ROI
I couldn't give an exact number, as I bought them one by one or in pairs as they went on sale (I have the Philips Hue lights). I also have a few plugs that wifi control lamps. The real boon has been for my outdoor lights. The Hue bulbs are about $15 a pop, which is far more than regular LED bulbs, but I bought them for the convenience personally. It's nice to sit down to watch a movie and only have to get up because I forgot my beer, not because I forgot to turn off the kitchen lamp behind us.  :D
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

personate-rain