Author Topic: Episode #646  (Read 2297 times)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
Episode #646
« on: November 25, 2017, 12:01:55 PM »
CSICon Special Recording, with Special Guest: George Hrab; Skeptical Ghost Stories; You Don’t Know Me Bro; Science or Fiction
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
Re: Episode #646
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 02:58:19 PM »
The movie that really scared me was The Others, with Nicole Kidman. There's no violence or blood or gore, but the reveal absolutely terrified me.
Daniel
----------------
“You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.”
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 05:48:39 PM »
George Hrab made an enormous mistake when he said that a marathon is 26.1 miles.  It’s 26 miles and 385 yards (or around 26.2 miles or a round 42.195 km).

I saw ‘the Exorcist’ when I was in first year medicine.  It was absolutely terrifying.  The price of admission went from $1.65 to $2.25, and I promptly decided never to go to see another film.  It caused such an uproar that the cinema was forced to close 20 years later.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 05:50:30 PM »
I was too young to see the R rated Exorcist... so I read the book.  It terrified me.

Poltergeist was pretty scary too - I remember seeing people leaving the theater in fear.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 08:30:41 PM »
... The price of admission went from $1.65 to $2.25 ...

I remember the day when the price of admission went from 15¢ to a quarter. In those days parents would drop off their kids at the theater. My friends and I had 25¢ because popcorn was a dime. So that day we had no popcorn. But there were kids who didn't have popcorn money and could not get in.

Do people let their kids go to movies alone nowadays?
Daniel
----------------
“You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.”
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline Jaloopa

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 03:59:56 AM »
I first saw the Exorcist on DVD with some friends on Halloween. The atmosphere was just right to scare us all, even though most of us aren't usually bothered by horror movies. The only other film that's ever properly scared me was the Babadook

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 10:33:23 AM »
I've only seen the Exorcist once, but I remember it well enough, and have no clue what exactly is supposed to be scary about it. before that, I'm sure I'd only seen other pedestrian films like Hellraiser and Candyman and the like, too.
Quote from: Thomas Carlyle
In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Offline gebobs

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Me like hockey!
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 10:40:39 AM »
My wife doesn't like scary movies so it's been a long while since I have. I remember seeing The Amityville Horror when I was in high school and thinking it was a terrible bore. I think I'll watch The Others tonight while away from home. That sounds pretty scary and yknow Nicole Kidman so mm hmm.

Don't have any ghost stories of my own really. One weekend though we were watching a friend's house. Old and creaky. Of course, those creaks take on a more ominous tone during the night when it's quiet and dark. I remember the wife woke me up and said there was someone walking in the other room and by Jove didn't it sound like it! Ghosts never entered our minds but we fer sure figured the place was being burgled.

Evan sort of botched the Science or Fiction when he quoted Sagan as saying something like 'Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.' Of course, proof is for moonshiners and mathematicians. No scientist would have ever said it like that. The transcript correctly has the quote as 'Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.'

Offline Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 11:10:48 AM »
The Excorcist, for me.  I was 13 or 14, I saw it at the drive-in.  I had a lot of trouble sleeping that night.  :laugh:
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Offline ArtistCeleste

• Brand New
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 05:33:20 PM »
I always enjoy when other people tell ghost stories. I always try to figure what the logical explanation might be. I don't believe in ghosts but they are still creepy to me.

I have a couple of experiences like theirs. The first was when I was working late at night in the sculpture building. A few of us were in the ceramic room. It was really quiet and unexpectedly the sink turned on full blast. It was startling. The other two in the room turned to ghosts and said they thought the building was haunted. I walked right over to the sink to turn it off, but first I put my hand under the water. It was hot. I know that that building never had hot water. If you turned on hot nothing came out. Someone must have turned it on full blast and left it that way. And then for some reason the hot water was turned on for the building.

My husband and I moved into a new condo in LA with a friend. In the middle of the night we woke up to distinct footsteps. We peak our heads out the door and our roommate hears it too. We start whispering to each other and the footsteps stop.

So we start looking through our boxes for some sort of a weapon.  We have a moving truck outside full of stuff and not a lot in the room so it takes a little while. We find something and all three of us creep downstairs. We look all over the place, nothing. Nothing on the balcony. No one hiding. Oddly there is paper shoved into the inside of the peep hole. We step outside and our new neighbor steps out not even a minute later.

The neighbor was kind of pushy and nosy. She would stay home all day with two kids and a nanny. To this day I think she might have snuck inside to snoop around. She was kind of pushy in trying to be helpful. Was shocked we didn't have movers, wanted to give us a lamp, which she stuck inside our apartment while we were unpacking.

It's so odd that it seems far fetched. None of us were sure if we locked the door. We didn't think the peep hole was plugged before. And we don't know how she would get out without us hearing. But it's the most rational explanation we could think of. I still remember that odd night so vividly.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2017, 07:20:18 PM »
Welcome to the SGU forums ArtistCeleste. Great detective work regarding the hot water!
Daniel
----------------
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2017, 09:31:34 AM »
Boy, like hearing about other people's dreams, hearing other people's ghost stories is one of my least favorite things to listen to. I think this is the only ep of the SGU that I've ever fast forwarded through. Which, is not bad given it's the first of 646 eps.

The You Don't Know Me Bro thing was quite funny.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline ArtistCeleste

• Brand New
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2017, 11:38:10 AM »
Welcome to the SGU forums ArtistCeleste. Great detective work regarding the hot water!

Hey thanks. Long time lurker, first time poster.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2017, 12:06:02 PM »
Boy, like hearing about other people's dreams, hearing other people's ghost stories is one of my least favorite things to listen to. I think this is the only ep of the SGU that I've ever fast forwarded through. Which, is not bad given it's the first of 646 eps.

The You Don't Know Me Bro thing was quite funny.

Yeah, spending most of the episode on a science & skepticism show telling ghost stories made it maybe the dullest episode ever. But I guess, like you say, 646 episodes, we can forgive an occasional vapid one.

You Don't Know me, Bro might have been interesting for someone who knows them personally. I found it about as dull as the ghost stories.
Daniel
----------------
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2017, 12:07:14 PM »

Hey thanks. Long time lurker, first time poster.

Stick around and keep posting.
Daniel
----------------
-- Greta Thunberg