Author Topic: Science Friction - Brian Dunning's Crowd Funded Documentary Project  (Read 474 times)

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
I got this in my news feed this morning. The teaser video features a few skeptical figures we all recognise.

https://sciencefriction.tv/

Finally, a documentary about scientists who get misrepresented by the media.
Those TV documentaries you see, and the science experts they feature? Did you know that producers often edit them out of context, and twist their words, to make it seem like they promoted some pop sensationalism instead of the real facts?

Science Friction is going to expose these faux documentaries by name, and will give the scientists a chance to clear the record. The film is intended for theatrical release. The networks are not going to like us very much, so we are crowdfunding the production, right here on this page. The people want honest science reporting!

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
Re: Science Friction - Brian Dunning's Crowd Funded Documentary Project
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 03:57:49 PM »
I can't think of anyone worse to be tied to a project like this. Could have been a good idea...

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 04:08:52 PM »
I can't think of anyone worse to be tied to a project like this....
Same.

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 04:42:03 PM »
I can't think of anyone worse to be tied to a project like this. Could have been a good idea...

Yeah. I like his podcast, but in that promo he's really hard to watch. I cannot imagine having to watch an hour and a half of him doing that and having to sit through it in a theater. It could still be okay if he'd produce it but let someone else be the on-screen face. He just doesn't know how to behave in front of a camera.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 04:48:19 PM »
Georgio Tsoukalos?

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 05:21:51 PM »
The concept is cool.

It's not an original name. There was a BBC TV documentary series back in 1996.

As well as BBC & ABC (Australian) radio series of the same name.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03kc78q/episodes/guide
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/sciencefriction/welcome-to-science-friction/8425872

Offline Redamare

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 07:05:53 PM »

How about the book of the same title that already exists by Shermer. I would definitely rather be associated with Dunning than with him.
"redamare has kicked this thread's ass" -champagnej

Certainty is the enemy of wisdom.

--RED-uh-MAR-ay--

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 08:44:04 PM »
It is a really good idea for a feature documentary, though I don't know how much mileage it can get as an ongoing series.

Offline Beef Wellington

• Off to a Start
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 01:06:12 PM »
One of his latest podcast episodes, titled Special Request, is basically him begging for money and dropping expletives. He proclaims that after this film, he'll be blacklisted but the message is worth it. He sounds like he's going off the rails. It's only available via RSS, not on the Skeptoid site.
"Computers don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose" - Dale Gribble

Online Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2018, 03:41:03 PM »
One of his latest podcast episodes, titled Special Request, is basically him begging for money and dropping expletives. He proclaims that after this film, he'll be blacklisted but the message is worth it. He sounds like he's going off the rails. It's only available via RSS, not on the Skeptoid site.
I wouldn't go that far.  It really just seamed like he was saying, he can't get it funded via traditional TV producers because its stated goal is to attack their psuedo-science shows.

Granted, I only half paid attention, maybe I missed the paranoid rant.

Offline Beef Wellington

• Off to a Start
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2018, 06:11:44 PM »
I wouldn't go that far.  It really just seamed like he was saying, he can't get it funded via traditional TV producers because its stated goal is to attack their psuedo-science shows.

Granted, I only half paid attention, maybe I missed the paranoid rant.

The first minute or so came across, to me anyway, like him daring his audience to keep listening to an amazing offer, it sounded very infomercial-y. There were a few instances of him slurring his speech, though mostly from talking too fast. He compared the participants in his film to the founding fathers being wanted by Great Britain for treason, which ok, but it’s a bit of a stretch here. Then came the shits and fucks, and a story about him losing out on a new tv show because Science Friction is scaring The Man, so much so that he was asked to take the film’s site down.

At 10:50 he says, “So, Clearly, I’ve already made the choice to fall on my sword, and I’m all in with Science Friction. I won’t get any more calls to co-host a mystery show with a skeptic and a believer. I won’t get any more calls to be the Anthony Bourdain of conspiracy theories. That’s cool, I’m OK with that. I’m setting the bar higher and I need you to do that with me. Draw the line in the sand with me. Do they win or do we win? Do the networks continue unchecked, or does private money that can’t be intimidated take a stand for truthful programming?”

For context, the Anthony Bourdain mention was a reference to a story earlier in the special about a company pitching a show with that angle. I’m probably still going to watch the movie when it comes out, but I don’t think he’s the right person to talk about honesty in reporting.

On an unrelated note, another recent episode ended with a series of flubs and coughs that sounded more like an oversight than a blooper-reel. I can no longer find it, so it must have been corrected. I hope the guy’s doing OK, he sounded sort of worn down in a couple takes.
"Computers don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose" - Dale Gribble