Author Topic: Episode #647  (Read 4826 times)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
Episode #647
« on: December 02, 2017, 11:34:09 AM »
Interview with Britte Hermes; Forgotten Superheroes of Science: Hisako Koyama; News Items: Speciation Event Observed, UK Water Companies Use Dowsing, NET Neutrality, Interstellar Visitor; Who’s That Noisy; Science or Fiction
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline davidlpf

• Off to a Start
Re: Episode #647
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 02:26:21 PM »
There are dust particles that come from other systems all the time.

Online daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 04:32:13 PM »
There are dust particles that come from other systems all the time.

Probably. But there's no way to identify them as such. There have almost certainly been rocks and such coming through our solar system from other solar systems. This is notable for being the first one unequivocally identified as such.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Isranner

• Off to a Start
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 08:14:53 PM »
I love the one-sided view offered by the hosts of the show about net neutrality, and also love how awesome government regulation of the communication market is. It's kind of odd that with all those regulations in place there still be so little competition in the IPS market.

Offline Clintsc9

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 09:32:48 PM »
Getting cagey with the SoF results this week?  All four are marked Science.
Clint Lovell
--------------
Why does confirmation bias always happen to me?

Offline mddawson

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 09:39:37 PM »
There is already a reconstruction of Beethoven's 10th Symphony:

"I only take scientific comments when they are peer-reviewed rather than being published in a small local newspaper or scratched on a toilet wall somewhere."
Professor Peter Brown (2005).

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 01:02:02 AM »
I love the one-sided view offered by the hosts of the show about net neutrality, and also love how awesome government regulation of the communication market is. It's kind of odd that with all those regulations in place there still be so little competition in the IPS market.

The government needs to regulate, and the government needs to be regulated.

Online lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 03:13:44 AM »
I found the Rogues rant about ND's medicine not changing clinical treatment when "studies" show their methods ineffectve a bit rich.  From stents to knee surgery to diet, conventional medicine just powers on with the cliical treatments that make money for them and and their phamaceutical masters.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline Isranner

• Off to a Start
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 07:13:02 AM »
The government needs to regulate, and the government needs to be regulated.

"Many a year I’ve used my nose

To smell the onion and the rose;

Is there any proof which shows

That I’ve a right to that same nose?"

Online daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2017, 09:20:29 AM »
I found the Rogues rant about ND's medicine not changing clinical treatment when "studies" show their methods ineffectve a bit rich.  From stents to knee surgery to diet, conventional medicine just powers on with the cliical treatments that make money for them and and their phamaceutical masters.

What I find curious about the anti-doctor rant and the allegation that doctors are just trying to make their "pharmaceutical masters" rich is that doctors do not sell pharmaceuticals and get no money from the pharmaceutical companies when they do. But the so-called "naturopaths" and "alternative" practitioners sell the stuff they prescribe. If doctors are making pharmaceutical companies rich, the "alternative" practitioners are making the herb and supplement companies rich as well. Herbs and supplements are a multi-billion-dollar-a-year industry that can afford to spend mountains of money lobbying legislators to hobble the oversight agencies so that they don't have to provide any evidence that their nostrums are safe, or effective, or even that they actually contain the ingredients listed on the label.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2017, 06:13:40 PM »

What I find curious about the anti-doctor rant and the allegation that doctors are just trying to make their "pharmaceutical masters" rich is that doctors do not sell pharmaceuticals and get no money from the pharmaceutical companies when they do. But the so-called "naturopaths" and "alternative" practitioners sell the stuff they prescribe. If doctors are making pharmaceutical companies rich, the "alternative" practitioners are making the herb and supplement companies rich as well. Herbs and supplements are a multi-billion-dollar-a-year industry that can afford to spend mountains of money lobbying legislators to hobble the oversight agencies so that they don't have to provide any evidence that their nostrums are safe, or effective, or even that they actually contain the ingredients listed on the label.

LOL. Medical doctors are generally well compensated by industry.  Pharmacuetical companies outspend their alternative counterparts by an order of magnitude to get their way.

Offline Alex Simmons

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2017, 08:45:13 PM »
LOL. Medical doctors are generally well compensated by industry.
In what way?

They are paid to attend conferences but that's about it as far as I can tell. It's hardly a sizeable part of their regular income, and if anything payment for attendance compensates for not being able to be paid for doing their regular work while they are attending.
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/drug-firms-paying-doctors-millions-medicines-australia-report-reveals-20160901-gr6n2w.html

Online lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2017, 09:21:33 PM »
LOL. Medical doctors are generally well compensated by industry.
In what way?

They are paid to attend conferences but that's about it as far as I can tell. It's hardly a sizeable part of their regular income, and if anything payment for attendance compensates for not being able to be paid for doing their regular work while they are attending.
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/drug-firms-paying-doctors-millions-medicines-australia-report-reveals-20160901-gr6n2w.html

According to Charlie Ornstein, a senior editor for the independent, non-profit newsroom ProPublica, "It's illegal to give kickbacks to a doctor to prescribe drugs, but it is legal to give money to doctors to help promote your drug. Some doctors make tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of dollars a year beyond their normal practice just for working with the industry."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/does-your-doc-have-ties-to-big-pharma-how-youll-be-able-to-find-out/

Online lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2017, 09:25:10 PM »
Oh, the science of fiction couldn't have been easier... the study was on RNZ, The Press and Facebook. 

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2017, 05:45:50 AM »
When I was still studying AI, about 10 years ago, I took a class in computer language learning based on information theory. This was the best taught class I ever took at the UvA, and the professor (Prof. Pieter Adriaans) made use of all kinds of related issues like art (some of it produced by computers), philosophy and robo-sailing while explaining these information theory algorithms to us. At one point, he demonstrated an algorithm that was a lot like the WTN for this week. He took two midi samples, one piece by Mozart and one dance song, and fed them to the machine learning algorithm, and then asked it to produce a new piece. It produced a midi file of something in between the two, and it actually sounded like music. It was awesome.
Mooohn!

personate-rain