Author Topic: Episode #647  (Read 1101 times)

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Episode #647
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2017, 09:13:44 AM »
«When I am discussing the State [...snip...]

Government actually does some things very well. And it does some other things less well, but still better than having no government. Politicians act in their own interest, and the interest of their owners. They don't give a fuck about us, but sometimes, on some issues, they can be persuaded to do something that benefits us.

Where I live, government sees to it that the garbage is collected, snow is cleared from the roads, air traffic is managed in a way that makes commercial flying the safest mode of transportation, and prescription drugs contain the ingredients listed on the label, in the dosages listed, and have passed rigorous testing for safety and efficacy. Government has completely failed to provide medical care for the working poor, or to regulate the fake medicines of the "naturopaths" and other health scammers, and it squanders half its budget waging wars that in the end make us less secure than we would have been otherwise.

Government that truly acts in the interest of the people is indeed a unicorn. But government that provides certain services and acts to limit some of the worst excesses of business is a real thing. And since realistically we're never going to get rid of government entirely, we must continually apply pressure for it to move in the right direction. Or to slow its slide in the wrong direction. As a pessimist I see us going to hell in a hand basket, but if we stop trying we'll get there sooner.
Funny, a bit of politics we agree on. 

Offline PabloHoney

• Off to a Start
  • How many pits are in a pear?
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2017, 12:42:13 PM »
 :jay: Because sir they are both marsupials!  Members of the marsupial family.  That's how you would answer Mr. Trebek.  Absolutely.

Online godbomb

• Off to a Start
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2017, 08:01:52 PM »
about the interview,  I enjoyed listening to it, but one big question was left unanswered (and unasked).
I understand finding out you are an unwitting felon is a wakeup call, but at what point did she stop believing naturopathy worked?  Did the legal issues just flip a switch where she suddenly became critical?  She said she was forced to continue practicing, so it wasn't an overnight thing.