Author Topic: Episode #648  (Read 5191 times)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
Episode #648
« on: December 09, 2017, 11:33:47 AM »
What’s the Word: Digitigrade; News Items: Nearly Complete Hominid Skeleton, Before the Big Bang, The Causes of Science Denial, This is Your Head in a Particle Accelerator; Who’s That Noisy; Your Questions and E-mails: Chunking, Follow Up on Net Neutrality; Science or Fiction
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline godbomb

• Off to a Start
Re: Episode #648
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 02:33:09 AM »
You guys should just stop talking about net neutrality.  It's a political topic.  Also I totally disagree with everything you said.  It's not worth explaining why because you wont change your minds.

Online Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 03:00:17 AM »
That's "almost" how you say Melbourne, Cara & Steve  ;) Close enough I guess.

You guys should just stop talking about net neutrality.  It's a political topic.  Also I totally disagree with everything you said.  It's not worth explaining why because you wont change your minds.

I see what you did there  ;)

Online lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 03:33:58 AM »
I agree wtih Cara, US coffee is generally shit, but adding two sugars to a flat white (a Kiwi invention, but really just a fancy dopio con latte) tells me she doesn't actually like coffee.

Happy to hear she enjoyed Te Waipounamu, Godzone. 
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline Sawyer

• Well Established
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 09:42:51 AM »

This is almost word for word the email they joked about on the show.  Was this supposed to be sarcasm, or did you skip that part of the podcast this week?

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 10:15:10 AM »
 :steve: "Community did it first..."
YES. Thank you, Steve!!

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. -- Hitchens.

Offline Mr. Beagle

• Stopped Going Outside
    • When God Plays DIce
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 10:28:43 AM »
That the Internet has become a "common carrier" (if not THE common carrier) should be obvious.

There is an analogue here to the old landline services, speaking as one who lived a lot of years in the boondocks. Without some equalization of service, small and remote providers of phone services could never equal the big urban guys.

Even then, when I was starting a business using mostly CompuServe in the early 1980s, my rural location nearly killed me financially.

The big web services can always find a way to compete. Small podcasters, like SGU, will be the ones to eat new fees if we lose net neutrality.
Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color
now blogging at http://godplaysdice.com

Offline PabloHoney

• Off to a Start
  • How many pits are in a pear?
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2017, 04:03:50 PM »
 :jay:
For when you do a Who's That Noisy with just a tuba.  1:10
Also, you forgot to describe what happens in a particle accelerator if you soak some protons in vasoline and fire them at your assneck.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 04:18:27 PM by PabloHoney »

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2017, 04:04:34 PM »
Regarding science denial, I find that the scientific literacy of some of the people I speak to is actually very high and they are enthusiastic about science and astronomy especially, but their ability to understand or explain the actual process of a study being added to the general body of literature and what that means and how it may be rated is very poor and basically boils down to "Who funded it?".
With that blind spot, they then pick and choose the science they want to believe, as if its a menu.

I think schools need to do far more to show kids how we know things and what the journal system is, even if it is at the expense of some technical module that they will forget if they dont go into a relevant field and can easily relearn if they do.
Why we accept certain information seems far more important to me than what that information actually is (within reason of course).
In this regard I think the philosophy of science and a very solid focus on epistimology are vital to the public understanding of controversial issues.

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 06:55:37 PM »

The SGU Forum needs a "Funny" button. Another forum I'm on has a series of buttons: Like, Love, Disagree, Informative, and Funny. That post deserves a "Funny."
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Kwisatz Haderach

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 09:07:23 AM »
I agree wtih Cara, US coffee is generally shit, but adding two sugars to a flat white (a Kiwi invention, but really just a fancy dopio con latte) tells me she doesn't actually like coffee.

I guess my perspective is warped from living in the UK for the past ten years, but American coffee is awesome compared to the swill I'm used to.

I suspect that Americans travelling abroad only sample the best versions of things in the countries they visit, causing them to overestimate the general quality said things.

It's similar to the phenomenon of Americans thinking British TV is better than American TV, and Brits thinking American TV is better than British TV, because only the best of each country's television makes it across the Atlantic.

Offline PabloHoney

• Off to a Start
  • How many pits are in a pear?
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2017, 01:06:40 PM »

I guess my perspective is warped from living in the UK for the past ten years, but American coffee is awesome compared to the swill I'm used to.

I suspect that Americans travelling abroad only sample the best versions of things in the countries they visit, causing them to overestimate the general quality said things.

It's similar to the phenomenon of Americans thinking British TV is better than American TV, and Brits thinking American TV is better than British TV, because only the best of each country's television makes it across the Atlantic.

The coffee is always greener.

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2017, 03:36:11 PM »
The U.S. has a wide range of coffee as well as food. You can get horrid coffee or excellent coffee, horrid food, or excellent food. No matter your taste in coffee or food, you can find it in the U.S. (Not saying it's different elsewhere, just that I cannot comment on how it is elsewhere.) The only thing you cannot find here (at least I've not found it) is sodium-free bread. For that you have to make your own. (Which, fortunately, is pretty easy to do.)
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Lucas_r

• Off to a Start
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2017, 03:38:55 PM »
Opening arguments podcast/ PA Torrez does a pretty great break down of the net neutrality issue.

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2017, 04:23:25 PM »
Cara spoke with far too much generality in regards to European coffee
I've only been to Europe twice, first to Ireland and then to England some 10 years later.
"Coffee" by and large was instant coffee.  :-X
Luckily by the time I went to England there were some Starbucks in some places.

personate-rain