Author Topic: Worth it - 120 GB SSD vs 320 GB hard drive? (Read Whole Post)  (Read 580 times)

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Worth it - 120 GB SSD vs 320 GB hard drive? (Read Whole Post)
« on: December 28, 2017, 12:45:20 AM »
I got a 120 GB SSD as a Christmas gift. My desktop has a 240 GB SSD and my laptop has a 480 GB SSD. The computer I use as my server, I don't see any need to boot up quickly or worry about running much quicker.

That only leaves the netbook which I relative recently got. I do use it on occasion. For example, I was waiting to go into a DMV this morning and while sitting in my car, I used the netbook for a while.

It currently has a 320 GB hard drive which I am using 118 GB. Part of that is 33 GB of music, 23 GB of PDF files, and 24 GB of images.
The netbook has an SD card slot and what I have thought about doing is buying a 128 GB SD card (Can get one for under $40 at Amazon) and moving these various files over to an SD in the card slot and keep it almost permanently inserted.

Is it work it to go that route?
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
Re: Worth it - 120 GB SSD vs 320 GB hard drive? (Read Whole Post)
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 02:33:39 AM »
SD cards are still stupid slow on the transfer rates compared to hard drives, and that's likely mostly because of the card bus. It's probably fine to store large chunks of data though if you're not accessing or streaming too much at once.
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 04:32:34 AM »
I am currious then, what about contacting the manufacturer about paying a bit extra and trading in for a larger SSD?
Would not mind getting a 480 GB SSD for my desktop and moving the 240 to my netbook.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 09:31:41 AM »
I am currious then, what about contacting the manufacturer about paying a bit extra and trading in for a larger SSD?
Would not mind getting a 480 GB SSD for my desktop and moving the 240 to my netbook.

There is that possibility.
#non-belief denialist

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 10:30:49 AM »
Mightn’t it be easier to exchange with the seller?
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 12:33:10 PM »
Mightn’t it be easier to exchange with the seller?

Gift giver is one of those people who gets indignant when they find out that you have a problem with a gift.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 02:07:13 PM »
I have contacted the manufacturer but have not heard anything. Leaning towards just using it as an external drive though.
Can get an enclosure for under $10
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 12:06:48 PM »
I found a 240 GB SSD for $55 from New Egg and decided to replace the hard drive in my netbook with it. Had some issues with the cloning software and forgot how much of a pain it is to take apart the netbook to get to the hard drive. Still, it booted up just fine with the SSD and amazing how much the speed increased.

Going to keep the old hard drive as a backup

Edit: This is the one I bought
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820331048
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 12:20:56 PM by Desert Fox »
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Beef Wellington

• Off to a Start
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2018, 01:04:49 AM »
I'm jealous of your netbook speed! Last year a coworker gave me his old Asus Eee PC 1015PE after it became unusable-y slow. It had a 160GB 5400 RPM HDD, 1GB RAM and Ubuntu. I maxed the RAM to 2GB, put in a 60GB SSD and installed Win10 (using the 7 Starter OEM key) and it would still freeze up regularly, esp during fullscreen video. I tried a cpl Linux distros (Mint, Pearl) but those were also too slow. I've had it on 7 Home for a few months and it's been solid, esp w/ “best performance” chosen in the Advanced System Settings. It did, however, take me half of tonight's Nova to download, install and use Open Office to type this out but it didnt crash. You're spot on about replacing the drive, that took me an entire King Of The Hill just to see the damned thing (I tend to measure time by what show I'm watching). The only drive harder to get to was in my G4 iBook, I'll be leaving that as-is until the thing breaks again...
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 01:12:18 AM by Beef Wellington »
"Computers don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose" - Dale Gribble

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2018, 03:39:28 AM »
I have an old Gateway netbook with similar specs to the PC 1015PE. I think mine is the Gateway LT4010u. It also originally ran Win 7. Tried to upgrade to 10 and also tried Linux. Always had issues with graphics. Runs best with Win 7 although even then cannot handle anything much above 480p.

Problem is that that nobody makes drivers for older Atom processors for anything better than Win7. It is actually why I ended up getting my new netbook so that the processor actually had some oomph to it.

I would recommend that, if you want a solid performer as far as netbooks, look at the X200CA on eBay. I got mine for $60 with a dead battery and got a used battery on eBay for $18. Replacing the battery is a pain because it is internal but not impossible (YouTube videos). Cannot bring ram beyond 4 GB, which is fixed on the motherboard.

It uses a hard drive not a tiny SSD. As such, it was easy enough to simply replace the hard drive with the 240 SSD.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

personate-rain
personate-rain