Author Topic: Episode #651  (Read 4404 times)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
Episode #651
« on: December 30, 2017, 08:54:35 AM »
Year end review; Science 2017; Best and Worst of 2017; In Memoriam; Science or Fiction
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: Episode #651
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 04:09:16 PM »
In the link of the episode, there are no Science or Fiction questions listed, and no answers are shown by clicking on Show Answers.
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline elert

• Off to a Start
    • The Physics Hypertextbook
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 05:20:03 PM »
The DSCOVR satellite takes several uniformly lit, whole earth pictures every day. DISCOVER is at the Lagrange 1 location where the gravity of the sun and earth balance. It's ideal for measuring planetary albedo.

https://epic.gsfc.nasa.gov

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 05:25:19 PM »
I don't know why Jay is so shocked he finished ahead of Bob in SoF for the year.

He has beaten Bob 4 times in the last 5 years, and only barely got beat in the one he did finish behind.

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 06:05:46 PM »
The DSCOVR satellite takes several uniformly lit, whole earth pictures every day. DISCOVER is at the Lagrange 1 location where the gravity of the sun and earth balance. It's ideal for measuring planetary albedo.

Thanks for posting that. The flat-Earthers keep insisting there have been no whole-Earth pictures since Apollo.

On another topic:

I got SoF wrong again.

I normally don't care for year-end wrap-up shows, but as year-end shows go, this one was not bad.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline elert

• Off to a Start
    • The Physics Hypertextbook
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 09:38:56 PM »
I got SoF wrong again.

I normally don't care for year-end wrap-up shows, but as year-end shows go, this one was not bad.

I finally got it right!

I remembered the artificial uterus article from a few weeks (or months) ago, but I just read the trisectrix orbit article this week. It had been sitting in a pile on my desk since I got it in the mail in March.

Offline Sawyer

• Well Established
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 02:17:15 PM »
I liked hearing the Rogues try to remember the "Magnets, how do they work? " riff by Insane Clown Posse while off-mic.

Offline JohnM

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 03:20:02 PM »
Podcast change suggestion: Themes

I would love to see each episode constructed around a shared narrative. Maybe not every week but once a month tackle a subject in depth ie one week it's climate change another week alternative medicine. Where every news item on that theme, perhaps a guest on that topic as well as the SOF theme.

This would give a chance to really focus in on some of the concerns and make the show more memorable. It would give the opportunity to really drill down on a topic (much like John Oliver does on his show).

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2017, 03:37:34 PM »
Podcast change suggestion: Themes

I would love to see each episode constructed around a shared narrative. Maybe not every week but once a month tackle a subject in depth ie one week it's climate change another week alternative medicine. Where every news item on that theme, perhaps a guest on that topic as well as the SOF theme.

This would give a chance to really focus in on some of the concerns and make the show more memorable. It would give the opportunity to really drill down on a topic (much like John Oliver does on his show).

There are shows that do this. I enjoy Science for the People for this reason. But I prefer the more broadly-inclusive format for the SGU.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Alex Simmons

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2017, 03:56:45 PM »
On the occasions there is discussion of a science or technology news item outside the area of expertise of the panel (which will be often), I'd appreciate a follow up discussion with a subject matter expert guest. e,g, a guest physicist/chemist/other SME every couple of months who can dissect and explain the item better than the panel is capable of.

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2017, 06:46:16 PM »
Someone needs to invent immortality already.

Or at least complete organ replacement.

Offline Boßel

• Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2017, 07:31:00 PM »

These have obviously been faked. Look at the swirls! Van Gogh any one? When will you oblate spheroid-earthers wake up?

Offline PabloHoney

• Off to a Start
  • How many pits are in a pear?
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2018, 09:42:53 AM »
 :jay:
Should probably add a segment where Jay prank calls Goop's customer service.

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2018, 10:04:54 AM »
Someone needs to invent immortality already.

Or at least complete organ replacement.

I need a total-body transplant.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline DamoET

• Off to a Start
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2018, 05:15:35 PM »
Hey guys, another great show.
  Suggestions for the SGU drive adds, you guys should attempt a Matrix style add, IMHO that could be fun.

Damo
Do not fear God, fear ignorance.  For ignorance will lead you to fearing 'God' (and a whole bunch of other whacky shit!)

personate-rain