Author Topic: Does the SGU have a blind spot on climate change? (and too obsessed with space)  (Read 3021 times)

Offline JohnM

• Keeps Priorities Straight
So, they don't talk about climate change in exactly he way you want them to, and they also talk about things that don't interest you?

Did you know that there are podcasts that talk about nothing but climate change, and probably in exactly the way you want?  SGU, however, does not seem to have ever been one of those.

SGU, as far as I can tell, is about a bunch of smart nerds talking about critical thinking and about topics that interest them.  Is there soemthing wrong with that??

If you can't be a bit skeptical of a skepticism podcast where can you be? I would hope the community welcomes reflection....

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • jeremyad [sic]

I don't much care for Who's That Noisy, because I never have any idea what it could be, or even a silly guess to send in. I hated the long series of space-opera sci-fi "blaster" noises. But fortunately, the segment is short. So I don't mind it too much. And I keep hoping that some week I will be able to think of a silly answer to send in.
FTFY  :laugh:
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster
Come to think of it, the SGU also seem to be in awe of Elon Musk to a degree that I'm not sure is justified. But I'm open to be convinced otherwise.
"Large skepticism leads to large understanding. Small skepticism leads to small understanding. No skepticism leads to no understanding." - Xi Zhi

Online werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
Come to think of it, the SGU also seem to be in awe of Elon Musk to a degree that I'm not sure is justified. But I'm open to be convinced otherwise.

Elon Musk does interesting stuff with his fortune, but he is definitely fetishized.
Mooohn!

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • jeremyad [sic]
I think that's mostly Jay. Jay is just kind of a fan boy all around though.
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
They don't do climate change like they don't do biology; they don't know much about it and get hammered by experts on the forum.
"Our minds are not quite designed to understand how the world works, but, rather, to get out of trouble rapidly an have progeny."  Nassim Nicholas Taleb

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Which biology experts are you referring to?

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
They don't do climate change like they don't do biology; they don't know much about it and get hammered by experts on the forum.

So Cara's Master's Degree in Biological Science, and her teaching Biology to students, and Steves medical degree don't make them qualified to discuss biology?  ???

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Elon Musk does interesting stuff with his fortune, but he is definitely fetishized.

I like Elon Musk for running the company that built my car, because I really like my car. Unimaginably quick off the line (though now other Tesla models are quicker), sporty, fun to drive; and it's whisper-quiet and burns no gasoline.

OTOH, I think some of his ideas are far-fetched. IOW, he's a complicated guy. He is definitely a capable businessman, as his ventures have been quite successful.

So Cara's Master's Degree in Biological Science, and her teaching Biology to students, and Steves medical degree don't make them qualified to discuss biology?  ???

Lonely moa holds ideas on biology, particularly on nutrition, that are at odds with the "establishment," so, no, he does not feel that Cara or Steve understand these subjects.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster
Strange as it may be, in a way I appreciate that the SGU aren't flawless. It reminds us that they are fallible humans just like the rest of us. They have their weaknesses and we should be skeptical even of the SGU, and I'm sure they would agree.
"Large skepticism leads to large understanding. Small skepticism leads to small understanding. No skepticism leads to no understanding." - Xi Zhi

Online werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
Strange as it may be, in a way I appreciate that the SGU aren't flawless. It reminds us that they are fallible humans just like the rest of us. They have their weaknesses and we should be skeptical even of the SGU, and I'm sure they would agree.

I agree. Plus, flawless people don't exist and are boring anyway.
Mooohn!

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
Which biology experts are you referring to?

WeeDavie
"Our minds are not quite designed to understand how the world works, but, rather, to get out of trouble rapidly an have progeny."  Nassim Nicholas Taleb

Online John Albert

• Frequent Poster
He is definitely a capable businessman, as his ventures have been quite successful.

I suppose that depends on how you define "successful." He certainly has shown an aptitude for creating business models that capture the public imagination and inspire many billions of dollars in investment, but none of his ventures since PayPal have yet managed to turn a positive profit.

Online John Albert

• Frequent Poster
I take that back. Tesla Motors has registered a profit for the first time in 2017.

Offline Eltox

• Brand New
This is something I've been thinking about for a while and I'm interested in what other people think.

Now, of course, they are not in any way in denial of the science of climate change, however, I think there is a lack of knowledge about the implications as well as the urgency required

I don't want to rant at for what is a free and fun podcast for which I'm very grateful! It's just something that's been on my mind for a few weeks.

John M..apologies if someone has already said this; but isn't it probably just the case that all of the big headlines, studies ( funding!) and discussion on this was a few years back? Not that it isn't massively important still but surely the SGU need to follow current topics. I can remember quite distinctly hearing a lot of climate change talk on the podcasts across a whole year or so.