Author Topic: Episode #652  (Read 2573 times)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
Episode #652
« on: January 06, 2018, 11:22:56 AM »
What’s the Word: Hormesis; Predictions 2017; News Items: Protein Folding Breakthrough, Nitrate-Free Bacon, Donkey Hide Snakeoil, Science or Fiction
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline elert

• Off to a Start
    • The Physics Hypertextbook
Re: Episode #652
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 02:23:50 PM »
The "Halloween Asteroid" 2015 TB145 is not going to hit the moon. Nothing known is coming close enough for 9 years.

On Oct. 31, 2015 it passed Earth at approximately 1.3 lunar distances. It was the closest approach of an object of that size since 2006, the next (known) similar event is the passage of 137108 (1999 AN10) on Aug. 7, 2027. 99942 Apophis will follow on Apr. 13, 2029 with an Earth passage at approximately 0.1 lunar distances.

https://doi.org/10.1051/0004-6361/201629584

Offline elert

• Off to a Start
    • The Physics Hypertextbook
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 02:59:25 PM »
This paper from 2001, which lists 160 potentially hazardous asteroid (PHA) encounters, says 1998 BY7 will get to within 11 earth-moon distances on June 28, 2018. That appears to be the only PHA to visit in 2018, but I'd need to find a more recent catalog to be sure. The next encounter of 2015 TB145 with Earth is in November 2018 at a distance of approximately 0.27 AU or 105 earth-moon distances.

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 04:40:05 PM »
My psychic predictions for 2018:

1. On July 26 a video will emerge showing Donald Trump picking his nose and eating the boogers, then flipping the bird at the cameraman. He will respond on Twitter that he's eaten his boogers all his life and that they're the reason he's such a successful businessman.

2. On July 27 a gigantic radioactive earthworm will devour between half and 100% of Washington, D.C., including all the major government buildings. This will result in the stopping of all government services. Nobody will notice, other than those close enough to see the worm. Trump's Twitter feed will go silent.

3. On July 28 a gigantic space ship will emerge from behind the moon where it's been hiding, and the space aliens will present themselves to the world with an announcement that the sudden and unexpected disappearance of a large percentage of the world's crooks has raised the average decency level of humanity to the point they're willing to say hello. They will look almost exactly like tardigrades, but will be 70 feet tall and 100 feet long.

These are my three psychic predictions for 2018. I don't remember my predictions for 2017, or if I even made any.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 04:44:51 PM »
I really miss Rebecca when the rogues are waxing eloquent about how wonderful it is to eat bacon. Then rightly bemoaning the cruel slaughter of donkeys but never seeming to think about the equally cruel slaughter of pigs or the environmental disaster that is modern pig farming. And laughing about it.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Cats Staff

• Off to a Start
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 07:31:06 PM »
A while back the BBC dramatized Primo Levi's Periodic Table. It's not available at the moment, although there are some clips. If you subscribe to the podcast it might show up again. The BBC pulls old stuff out and puts it up from time to time.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 12:21:49 PM »
I see the Rogues are still spouting the line that consumption of arterycloggingsaturatedfat and heart disease.  Shame all the recent science seems to point in the opposite direction.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Online Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 01:16:56 PM »
I Googled for photos of hoof and mouth.

Not the worst skin condition I've seen, but definitely unpleasant.

coxsackievirus - cool name for a germ though.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 01:38:09 PM »
I Googled for photos of hoof and mouth.

Not the worst skin condition I've seen, but definitely unpleasant.

coxsackievirus - cool name for a germ though.

The problem is that it's incredibly itchy and often painful.  And it's also inside your mouth.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline BAWRFRS

• Off to a Start
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 07:35:17 PM »
FWIW, I was getting an error trying to download in MediaMonkey, which I've used for years. I was getting a socket error #10054, and "connection reset by peer"

Fixed it by changing the podcast URL from:

https://feed.theskepticsguide.org/feed/sgu

to

http://feed.theskepticsguide.org/feed/sgu

should this be?
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.  - Bertrand Russell

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 08:13:50 PM »
FWIW, I was getting an error trying to download in MediaMonkey, which I've used for years. I was getting a socket error #10054, and "connection reset by peer"

Fixed it by changing the podcast URL from:

https://feed.theskepticsguide.org/feed/sgu

to

http://feed.theskepticsguide.org/feed/sgu

should this be?

Perhaps their certificate has expired.  I’d contact Jay through E-mail.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline godbomb

• Off to a Start
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2018, 03:17:19 AM »
Why are psychic predictions always news stories?

What's the "in universe" explanation for pre-cognition?  Are they meant to be accessing their own consciousness from the future?  Are they communing with other people in the future?  Are dead people telling them future secrets?  Because I would expect all of those things to reveal far more personal events, unless it's some kind of global catastrophe.  The extent of most of these predictions seems to be some kind of paranormal access to a highly inaccurate news ticker from the future.

Offline Mr. Beagle

• Stopped Going Outside
    • When God Plays DIce
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2018, 08:26:48 AM »
Why are psychic predictions always news stories?

What's the "in universe" explanation for pre-cognition?  Are they meant to be accessing their own consciousness from the future?  Are they communing with other people in the future?  Are dead people telling them future secrets?  Because I would expect all of those things to reveal far more personal events, unless it's some kind of global catastrophe.  The extent of most of these predictions seems to be some kind of paranormal access to a highly inaccurate news ticker from the future.

I skip this episode every year. This is "Bigfoot/Flat Earth skepticism."
Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color
now blogging at http://godplaysdice.com

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2018, 09:12:49 AM »
I suppose its probably useful to have someone out there calling psychics on their BS. 

Offline Mr. Beagle

• Stopped Going Outside
    • When God Plays DIce
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2018, 09:29:50 AM »
I suppose its probably useful to have someone out there calling psychics on their BS.

I cede your point. Every so often someone shows up on this board claiming evolution is a myth, and I have to be reminded that millions of people live in a different world where magic reigns. I irritated a friend recently by telling her, "You know, most magicians do not believe in magic." I think I popped a wish bubble.
Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color
now blogging at http://godplaysdice.com

personate-rain