Author Topic: Episode #652  (Read 2575 times)

Online daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
Re: Episode #652
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2018, 10:00:46 AM »
Why are psychic predictions always news stories?

They are news stories because they are one aspect of the popular following for pseudoscience. Showing how seldom they are right, and how when they claim to be right the prediction was so vague or so obvious that anybody could have made it, helps to debunk the root claim that there are people who can "see" future events. The game of making our own predictions is just that: a game. I find it fun to spoof psychics by making up outlandish predictions. Others like to make more sedate predictions to show that anybody can do as well as the self-styled "psychics."
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2018, 11:28:35 AM »
Honestly, pointing out how dumb psychics are is more in keeping with skepticism than whatever new planet has been discovered this week.
I regularly use this segment when talking to people who are on the fence about a particular psychic but I cant even remember what the last piece of astronomy/physics news was.

Online werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2018, 08:11:42 PM »
I suppose its probably useful to have someone out there calling psychics on their BS.

I cede your point. Every so often someone shows up on this board claiming evolution is a myth, and I have to be reminded that millions of people live in a different world where magic reigns. I irritated a friend recently by telling her, "You know, most magicians do not believe in magic." I think I popped a wish bubble.

I recently pointed out to my mother (who was enamored by a certain magic performance on TV) that some TV magicians use editing and camera tricks to make their acts seem more convincing. I think this idea crushed a tiny part of her.
Mooohn!

Offline phooey

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2018, 09:19:01 PM »
I suppose its probably useful to have someone out there calling psychics on their BS.

I cede your point. Every so often someone shows up on this board claiming evolution is a myth, and I have to be reminded that millions of people live in a different world where magic reigns. I irritated a friend recently by telling her, "You know, most magicians do not believe in magic." I think I popped a wish bubble.

I recently pointed out to my mother (who was enamored by a certain magic performance on TV) that some TV magicians use editing and camera tricks to make their acts seem more convincing. I think this idea crushed a tiny part of her.

I once pointed out to Werecow, that sometimes people, like those who work for the CIA, or big corporations who like money, lie. 

I think the idea crushed a tiny part of him.

Online werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2018, 04:10:47 AM »
Oh dear, I seem to be dragging something in my wake.
Mooohn!

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2018, 09:18:17 AM »
I'm friends with a professional magician who falls for every possible form of woo, even claims of psychic powers.
Weird.

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2018, 02:05:07 PM »

Hahahahaha
Yeah, I just had to politely smile and nod at someone in an elevator yesterday who exclaimed after recommending Zicam nasal swabs that "those homeopathic remedies really do work!" FML they walk among us.
Oh dear, I seem to be dragging something in my wake.
Spend more time wiping. This is how we all get pink eye.
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Online werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2018, 02:50:20 PM »

I'll try, but it's hard when you have hooves.
Mooohn!

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2018, 04:05:27 PM »

Wait until the full moon when you transform into a blood craving skeptical forum poster.
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Online werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2018, 09:43:36 PM »

Wait until the full moon when you transform into a blood craving skeptical forum poster.

Oh jeez, don't  remind me.
Mooohn!