Author Topic: Energy Dense foods (Fiction related)?  (Read 2324 times)

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Energy Dense foods (Fiction related)?
« on: January 12, 2018, 08:15:26 PM »
This is fiction related but thought it might be good to ask here.

Assume we have a super soldier type that requires 4000 calories a day as a minimum to survive, what would be the best energy dense food for them to carry around?
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
Re: Energy Dense foods (Fiction related)?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 08:49:33 PM »
Butter
Amend and resubmit.

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
Nur dass ich nicht nur Katzen gemacht habe.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 02:15:15 AM »
https://www.sosproducts.com/SOS-food-bar-p/350237.htm

I actually keep two 2400 calorie bars of the same basic type in my car.
Just wondering if there was something better, not including just eating butter  ;D
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 02:17:58 AM by Desert Fox »
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 02:18:25 AM »

I actually keep two 2400 calorie bars of the same type in my car.
Just wondering if there was something better, not including just eating butter  ;D

It would be kind of messy carrying butter around in the jungle.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 02:46:02 AM »

I actually keep two 2400 calorie bars of the same type in my car.

It would be kind of messy carrying butter around in the jungle.

Two weeks only weighs about 20 pounds with the emergency rations.
I really should pick up a couple of more for myself as well.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 03:03:53 AM »
 Beta-hydroxybutyrate buterate or other exogenous ketones.  That's what DARPA is spending it's money on.  Athletes are already on board... and winning. 

Humans already carry plenty of fuel; it's just a matter of using it. 
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 06:37:04 AM »
Pemmican
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pemmican

And rice would probably keep you going pretty well.

4,000 calories takes up space and weight, regardless.
I think its hard to beat the design of current generation ration packs. The uk rations are not as tasty as the US ones but dont take up as much space.

If surviving on body fat for weeks at a time was a viable option then armies with superior supply chains and nutrition would never have had an advantage. After 2 weeks on field rations (which come to about 4000 cals per day if you use every sachet of sugar in your tea and eat all the boiled sweets) you will normally see a big dip in performance unless you get a resupply of fresh food and a few big starchy meals with good protein.
After a week in the field was always the best time for topless selfies because you still lose body fat.
Most guys will try to fatten up a bit before going to Norway for winter training which is far more calorie intense.

I wonder how GM crops will contribute to calorie density.

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 06:57:07 AM »
Low carb is OK if you're sitting on your ass all day, but eschewing carbohydrates for extended periods of heavy physical exertion will drive you into a caloric deficit pretty quick.

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 07:21:18 AM »
Low carb is OK if you're sitting on your ass all day, but eschewing carbohydrates for extended periods of heavy physical exertion will drive you into a caloric deficit pretty quick.

Huh?  If you are expending x caliroes per day, and your diet comprieses x calories, then you are meeting your energy requirements regardless of the dietary source of the calories.

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2018, 09:01:57 AM »
According to Google, climbers burn 10,000 calories per day on average on an ascent of Everest, and they burn 20,000 calories on summit day. Getting 4,000 calories per day should be a piece of cake. I suggest your hypothetical supersoldier eat cake and brussels sprouts. (Gotta have some greens!)

If they're at a base between missions, eating 4,000 calories in a day should not be difficult. I believe I could eat that many calories and enjoy doing it, though I would not enjoy gaining all the weight. The bigger issue for the soldier would be carrying enough food on an extended mission. There'd be a limit to how much weight even a supersoldier could carry. On Everest, the climbers hire teams of Sherpas to carry the food up to the camps ahead of time, and the climbers only need to carry what they'll need for the day.

So I suppose your question comes down to what's most calorie-dense food by weight that still provides balanced nutrition. And the answer will depend in part on the terrain and climate. Dehydrated food is useful if you have plenty of clean water. And as jt512 points out, butter, though very calorie-dense, is more suitable in cold climates than warm ones.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2018, 09:20:43 AM »
Pemmican

That was going to be my suggestion, too.  Ultimately, no food is more energy dense than pure fat.  The trick is getting it stable and palatable.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2018, 09:29:51 AM »
Daniel, If you are on camp then you dont necessarily need 4000 calories.
It actually is hard to consume that much in the field though as you tend to be constantly busy and some of it can be hard to stomach (boiled sweets gave me mouth ulcers for example so I never ate them).

Pemmican

That was going to be my suggestion, too.  Ultimately, no food is more energy dense than pure fat.  The trick is getting it stable and palatable.
Things like long term health implications and spoilage (ration warehouses are huge and the shelf life of the food, regardless of terrain, is measured in years) would be factors too.

In terms of something I dont need to cook that can get me by for a few days, peanut butter is pretty great.

Offline 2397

• Well Established
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2018, 10:36:22 AM »
Antimatter.

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2018, 11:15:21 AM »
Daniel, If you are on camp then you dont necessarily need 4000 calories. ...

Assume we have a super soldier type that requires 4000 calories a day as a minimum to survive, what would be the best energy dense food for them to carry around?

Note that the premise originally posed was a super soldier who needs 4,000 calories per day as a minimum to survive.

Also, boiled sweets??? WTF? That must be a U.K. thing. Nobody who has a choice would eat British food. That's why there are so many great ethnic restaurants over there. You need stuff like chocolate brownies. Not boiled sweets. It's not hard to eat 4,000 calories of these.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck