Author Topic: Type II Diabetes  (Read 5368 times)

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: Type II Diabetes
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2018, 12:59:45 PM »
No now, again, we're letting a fad-diet enthusiast solicit medical advice on a skeptics forum?

Offline CarbShark

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2018, 01:15:00 PM »
No now, again, we're letting a fad-diet enthusiast solicit medical advice on a skeptics forum?

I don't think you mean solicit medical advice.

Are you a moderator? Then you are not letting anyone do anything.

And, there is a difference between:

Medical advice

Diet and nutrition advice

• Information

• Very little of what I post is actually diet and nutrition advice.
None of what I post is medical advice, most of what I post is information.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2018, 01:32:50 PM »
Most of what you post on this topic is crap.

#non-belief denialist

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2018, 01:34:52 PM »

Screening and Monitoring of Prediabetes | outpatient.aace.com
[/url]

From your link, this was interesting:

I'm borderline on a couple of these items, but worst case is I'm a 15.  Losing not much weight drops me to 11, and there's nothing else in there I can change (for the better)...   those are good odds.  That's where I want to be before my next physical, that's what my program suggests as my goal.

Amend and resubmit.

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2018, 01:43:10 PM »
I also would class it as medical advice. But its not against any rules.
Even with actual medical professionals on here, we are all just taking them at their word.
It should go without saying that no one should take medical advice from and internet forum, regardless of whether or not the author claims any credentials.

Offline CarbShark

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2018, 01:56:49 PM »

Screening and Monitoring of Prediabetes | outpatient.aace.com

From your link, this was interesting:

I'm borderline on a couple of these items, but worst case is I'm a 15.  Losing not much weight drops me to 11, and there's nothing else in there I can change (for the better)...   those are good odds.  That's where I want to be before my next physical, that's what my program suggests as my goal.

I'm an 8, but it's all age and family history.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 02:07:25 PM by CarbShark »

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2018, 02:00:54 PM »

I figured history of glucose elevation means even a few FG>100 even a long time ago... 5 points that will never go away.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline CarbShark

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2018, 02:05:13 PM »
I also would class it as medical advice. But its not against any rules.
Even with actual medical professionals on here, we are all just taking them at their word.
It should go without saying that no one should take medical advice from and internet forum, regardless of whether or not the author claims any credentials.

Yeah, we can all make up our own definitions of any term we want. But "medical advice" is a specific term used in medicine and in law.

Medical advice - Wikipedia

Medical advice is the provision of a formal professional opinion regarding what a specific individual should or should not do to restore or preserve health.[1] Typically, medical advice involves giving a diagnosis and/or prescribing a treatment for medical condition.[2]
Medical advice can be distinguished from medical information, which is the relation of facts. Discussing facts and information is considered a fundamental free speech right and is not considered medical advice. Medical advice can also be distinguished from personal advice, even if the advice concerns medical care.

If I were to tell you: Go on a LCHF diet to lose weight that would be diet advice, that falls under the category of personal advice. (FWIW, I rarely do even that).

If I were to tell you: Go on a LCHF diet to reduce your risk for TIID; CVD; Metabolic Syndrome; Cancer; etc., that would constitute medical advice.

If I were to tell you LCHF diets have been found to reduce the risks for TIID etc. that would be information.

If I were to tell you a low fat diet would make you live longer, that would also be information, even though it's incorrect.

Offline CarbShark

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2018, 02:06:34 PM »

I figured history of glucose elevation means even a few FG>100 even a long time ago... 5 points that will never go away.

That is a little vague. My FBG was never over 110, so I didn't count that.

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2018, 02:12:37 PM »

That's motivated reasoning.  You're a 13.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2018, 02:21:56 PM »
None of what I post is medical advice, most of what I post is information.

You have no medical qualifications, yet you started this thread entitled "Type II Diabetes" and are using it to promote your fad diet to people with a life-threatening medical condition.

Most of the "information" you post about nutrition is ill-informed, reductive, and contrary to the dietary recommendations of most medical institutions.

Offline CarbShark

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2018, 04:41:04 PM »

That's motivated reasoning.  You're a 13.

I don't think 110 is considered elevated.

Hyperglycemia (High Blood Sugar) Causes and Symptoms in Diabetes

Blood sugar control is at the center of any diabetes treatment plan. High blood sugar, or hyperglycemia, is a major concern, and can affect people with both type 1 and type 2 diabetes . There are two main kinds:
Fasting hyperglycemia. This is blood sugar that's higher than 130 mg/dL (milligrams per deciliter) after not eating or drinking for at least 8 hours.
Postprandial or after-meal hyperglycemia. This is blood sugar that's higher than 180 mg/dL 2 hours after you eat. People without diabetes rarely have blood sugar levels over 140 mg/dL after a meal, unless it’s really large.

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2018, 05:28:47 PM »

High blood sugar, or hyperglycemia, is a major concern, and can affect people with both type 1 and type 2 diabetes . There are two main kinds:
Fasting hyperglycemia. This is blood sugar that's higher than 130 mg/dL (milligrams per deciliter) after not eating or drinking for at least 8 hours.

I think a diagnosis of Pre-D indicates that you've been told you had elevated glucose.
If you have FPG>130 you already HAVE diabetes - there's no need to evaluate your risk score.

I found quite a few research papers verifying the accuracy of this risk score - I'm surprised I hadn't heard of it before, it seems to be well accepted.  But nothing I found actually defined what "elevated" means.

Edit - here's one:

5. Raised plasma glucose, defined as fasting plasma glucose (FPG) ≥ 100 mg/dl.

Still doesn't specify a time range though... seems like those 5 points ought to stop counting after a few years of healthy FPG readings.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 05:59:34 PM by Friendly Angel »
Amend and resubmit.

Offline CarbShark

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2018, 05:58:23 PM »

High blood sugar, or hyperglycemia, is a major concern, and can affect people with both type 1 and type 2 diabetes . There are two main kinds:

I think a diagnosis of Pre-D indicates that you've been told you had elevated glucose.
If you have FPG>130 you already HAVE diabetes - there's no need to evaluate your risk score.

I found quite a few research papers verifying the accuracy of this risk score - I'm surprised I hadn't heard of it before, it seems to be well accepted.  But nothing I found actually defined what "elevated" means.

My diagnosis was based on HgA1c. As I said my FBG was never above 110.

That said, I've seen several places now that indicate that a FBG between 100 and 125 is a risk factor for TIID, so, you're probably right, I do have a history of "elevated" blood glucose, which makes me a 13.

Which means I've really got to stick to this diet (as if I needed more encouragement).

Offline CarbShark

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2018, 11:54:07 AM »
U.S. News is wrong about what constitutes the best diet

Early results of a current trial reported that Type 2 diabetes symptoms can be reversed in just 10 weeks on such a diet. Subjects suffering from diabetes were educated about carbohydrates and coached over the study period. They effectively cured themselves of their disease, something that mainstream medicine does not even believe possible.
These are preliminary results, but many other studies on low-carb diets contain positive results that are similarly encouraging for people with nutrition-related diseases. Low-carbohydrate diets have now been tested in at least 78 clinical trials on nearly 7,000 people, including a wide variety of sick and well populations, mainly in the U.S. Thirty-two of these studies have lasted at least six months and six trials went on for two years, enough time to demonstrate the lack of any negative side effects. In virtually every case, the lower-carb, higher-fat diets did as well or better than competing regimens. The cumulative evidence shows that low-carb diets are safe and effective for combating obesity, highly promising for the treatment of Type 2 diabetes, and they improve most cardiovascular risk factors.

personate-rain