Author Topic: Type II Diabetes  (Read 5367 times)

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
Re: Type II Diabetes
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2018, 12:27:22 PM »

Screening and Monitoring of Prediabetes | outpatient.aace.com

From your link, this was interesting:

I'm borderline on a couple of these items, but worst case is I'm a 15.  Losing not much weight drops me to 11, and there's nothing else in there I can change (for the better)...   those are good odds.  That's where I want to be before my next physical, that's what my program suggests as my goal.

I'm an 8, but it's all age and family history.

4. Age.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Online CarbShark

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2018, 03:03:06 PM »
Reversing Type 2 diabetes starts with ignoring the guidelines | Sarah Hallberg | TEDxPurdueU

and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2018, 04:48:15 PM »
<snip>

1.  Big Pharma is invested in keeping you sick.
2.  Doctors are reluctant to admit they've been wrong all this time.
3.  PALEO - because cave men.
4.  Pay no attention to the dangers of high fat... fake news.

I have no doubt this doctor has had good results with seriously ill people who require extreme interventions.
Amend and resubmit.

Online CarbShark

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2018, 05:28:43 PM »
<snip>

I have no doubt this doctor has had good results with seriously ill people who require extreme interventions.

Did you actually watch it?

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2018, 06:43:31 PM »

Yeah - I contend that is an accurate synopsis.

Amend and resubmit.

Online CarbShark

• Reef Tank Owner
Type II Diabetes
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2018, 07:26:23 PM »

Yeah - I contend that is an accurate synopsis.

She didn't mention "Big Pharma"

She didn't impune the motives of doctors at all.

She didn't mention the Paleo diet

She didn't discuss the "dangers of high fat"

But other than that yes.

(She runs an obesity clinic at a major university, and does treat patients who are seriously ill (T2D; obesity) and do require interventions (a dietary change is not extreme; lifetime of medicines and surgery is)

You know a lot has been made about how the mainstream position is that High Carb diets are best and LCHF diets are bad or the worst.

But I wonder if there has been any polling among doctors, or any weighted polling. Meaning more weight given to doctors who are experts in the field. (Such as running an obesity clinic.).

Hallberg is one of several physicians running obesity clinics at major universities or hospitals who advocate LCHF ketogenic diets, and I'm wondering if there are more of those than obesity clinics don't recommend LCHF Ketogenic diets. (That have been around a few years).
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 10:54:14 AM by CarbShark »

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2018, 08:52:34 PM »
She didn't mention "Big Pharma"

She didn't call it Big Pharma, but

Amend and resubmit.

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2018, 12:47:26 PM »
More medical advice about a life-threatening condition, coming from the fad diet enthusiast who has no credentials whatsoever.

Is this really a skeptics forum, or what?

Online CarbShark

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2018, 01:24:11 PM »
1. More medical advice about a life-threatening condition...

2. ...coming from the fad diet enthusiast who has no credentials whatsoever.

3. ...Is this really a skeptics forum, or what?

1. I do not post medical advice. There are legal definitions of what constitutes medical advice and information. If you claim to be a skeptic you should try to inform yourself.

2. A fad is generally a temporary phenomena. The diet I advocate has been used and advocated for over 150 years. The Atkins diet has been used and advocated for over 45 years. I've been on LCHF diet for 8 years now, and have been advocating it in these forums for most of that time. So go ahead and use the word "fad" to marginalize a diet you don't like. Just keep in mind that using rhetorical tricks like that is not skeptical discourse.

3. Sometimes I have my doubts.

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2018, 01:35:42 PM »
1. This is not about the law. If you were breaking a law, your posts would be deleted by the admins as a rules violation. That argument is a red herring.

2. Some fads last for several decades. The fact that low-carb diets have been around for 150 years (they've actually been around for thousands of years), that does not preclude them from being a fad right now.

3. The question "is this really a skeptics forum" was rhetorical.

For as long as you continue to give out advice on medical issues on these forums, I'm going to keep posting reminders that you have no medical credentials and are ill-informed on the subject of nutrition beyond what information you've memorized from the promoters of low-carb diets.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 05:03:06 PM by John Albert »

Online CarbShark

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2018, 02:12:17 PM »
1. This is not about the law. If you were breaking a law, your posts would be deleted by the admins as a rules violation. That argument is a red herring.

I'm glad we agree that I'm not breaking the law in that my posts don't legally constitute medical advice. 

So we can assume there is a special John Albert definition of medical advice?

2. Some fads last for several decades. The fact that low-carb diets have been around for 150 years does not preclude them from being a fad right now.

So a fad is whatever you don't like and want to minimize. It's as if words have no meanings to you.

3. The question "is this really a skeptics forum" was rhetorical.

So the one good question you asked was insincere. Got it.

For as long as you continue to give out advice on medical issues on these forums, I'm going to keep posting reminders that you have no medical credentials and are ill-informed on the subject of nutrition beyond what information you've memorized from the promoters of low-carb diets.

Seriously, you're going to follow me around on the forums posting the same message? Isn't that "spillover"? Isn't that a violation of the forum rules?

You must have a pretty low opinion of the intelligence of the members of this forum.

Without your protection you seem to assume they would all follow my advice like a flock of mindless sheep.

How can we ever thank you?

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2018, 02:28:22 PM »
I'm glad we agree that I'm not breaking the law in that my posts don't legally constitute medical advice. 

There are plenty of dishonest, misleading and harmful things that don't necessarily run afoul of the law. If breaking the law is your sole criterion for ethics, then somebody ought to be keeping an eye on you.

What you choose to assume is not under my control. 

So a fad is whatever you don't like and want to minimize.

Nope. "Fad diets" are certainly a widely recognized thing. Low-carbohydrate evangelism is a recognized example.

It's as if words have no meanings to you.

Words have usages.

So the one good question you asked was insincere.

Not at all. Rhetorical does not mean insincere.

Seriously, you're going to follow me around on the forums posting the same message? Isn't that "spillover"? Isn't that a violation of the forum rules?

No, it's not. Posting occasional reminders that a particular poster is pretending to certain dietary and/or medical knowledge without credentials is not "spillover."

You must have a pretty low opinion of the intelligence of the members of this forum.

I do not consider the members of this forum as a collective unit with a singular, uniform level of intelligence, so no. 

I'm not looking for any thanks or congratulations. I just find it deeply concerning when I see somebody without qualifications advising others on health issues. Consider it a pet peeve. Outside of that, I have no personal issues with you.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 06:12:17 PM by John Albert »

Online CarbShark

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2018, 02:51:27 PM »

There are plenty of dishonest, misleading and harmful things that don't necessarily run afoul of the law. If breaking the law is your sole criterion for ethics, then somebody ought to be keeping an eye on you.

For the purpose of protecting all these stupid forum members who would be following diet advice from an internet post.

What you choose to assume is not under my control. 

What, then, is your definition of medical advice?

So a fad is whatever you don't like and want to minimize.

Nope. "Fad diets" are certainly a widely recognized thing, and low-carbohydrate evangelism is a recognized example.

You realize that anyone can edit a wiki page, right? Even a CarbShark!
It's as if words have no meanings to you.

Words have usages.

And you are misusing words, to make your points deceptively. Well played, skeptic.

So the one good question you asked was insincere.

Not at all. Rhetorical does not mean insincere.

Actually, it does. A rhetorical question is not a sincere question.

No, it's not. Posting occasional reminders that a particular poster is a known charlatan pretending to certain dietary and/or medical knowledge without credentials is not "spillover."

We shall see, I guess.

I do not consider the members of this forum as a collective unit with a singular, uniform level of intelligence, no. 

So you're just protecting the stupid and ignorant ones.

I'm not looking for any thanks or congratulations. I just find it deeply concerning when I see somebody without qualifications advising others on health issues. Consider it a pet peeve. Outside of that, I have no personal issues with you whatsoever.
That was a rhetorical question, but thanks for the answer.  It's a personal pet peeve, and you see it as your duty to continuously repeat this needless information to protect the morons who participate in the forums from following "medical advice" in forum posts. Got it.

(What are your medical qualifications? When I post links to diet information you think I'm giving medical advice, but when you do it, why is that any different?)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 02:54:29 PM by CarbShark »

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2018, 02:54:56 PM »
OMG...

Now I see that CarbShark just went and edited Wikipedia to remove his favorite diet from the list of Fad Diets.

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2018, 02:59:21 PM »
...aaand it's already been undone.

At least some Wikipedia editor is paying attention.

personate-rain