Author Topic: Luxury Dublin Hotel Bans All "Social Media Influencers"  (Read 1459 times)

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
Luxury Dublin Hotel Bans All "Social Media Influencers"
« on: January 21, 2018, 10:17:49 PM »
LUXURY DUBLIN HOTEL BANS ALL SOCIAL MEDIA INFLUENCERS

CHELSEA RITSCHEL IN NEW YORK | 3 days ago

A hotel has banned YouTubers and Instagram stars - after a 22-year-old YouTuber asked for a five-night free stay and broke down in tears when she was bluntly refused.

The issue started when Elle Darby, a UK-based social media influencer, with 87,000 YouTube subscribers and 76,000 Instagram followers, reached out to the owner of The White Moose Café, Paul Stenson, asking if he was interested in a “possible collaboration.”

In an email to the Dublin hotel, Darby wrote: “I work as a social media influencer, mainly lifestyle, beauty & travel based."

Darby then included her social media reach before continuing:

“My partner and I are planning to come to Dublin for an early Valentine’s Day weekend from Feb 8th to 12th to explore the area.

“As I was searching for places to stay, I came across your stunning hotel and would love to feature you in my YouTube videos/dedicated Instagram stories/posts to bring traffic to your hotel and recommend others to book up in return for free accommodation.”

Ending her email, Darby mentioned that she had organised a similar collaboration with Universal Orlando in Florida last year and “it’s been amazing for them!”

Stenson responded to Darby’s request, publicly, on The White Moose Cafe Facebook page - in a message that read:

“Dear Social Influencer (I know your name but apparently it’s not important to use names),

“Thank you for your email looking for free accommodation in return for exposure. It takes a lot of balls to send an email like that, if not much self-respect and dignity.

“If I let you stay here in return for a feature in a video, who is going to pay the staff who look after you? Who is going to pay the housekeepers who clean your room?

“The waiters who serve you breakfast? The receptionist who checks you in? Who is going to pay for the light and heat you use during your stay?

Continuing, Stenson asks: “Maybe I should tell my staff they will be featured in your video in lieu of receiving payment for work carried out while you’re in residence?”

https://www.facebook.com/WhiteMooseCafe/posts/2048406742106598

The message concludes: “P.S. The answer is no.”

However, although Stenson attempted to black-out Darby’s contact information in the message he posted to Facebook, social media users were quick to identify the YouTuber as Darby - and began to attack her with negative comments about her request.

The negative backlash eventually led Darby to upload a YouTube video responding to the controversy, in which she breaks down from the embarrassment, anger, and humiliation she felt.

In the 17-minute video, titled “I was exposed (SO embarrassing), the influencer emotionally insists she got in contact with Stenson with “nothing but the purest intentions” before explaining:

“As a 22-year-old girl, who’s running her own business from her home, I don’t feel like I did anything wrong.”

Darby also explains she does not know why the hotel owner decided to post her email, stating: “I don’t really know what their intent was - it was just malicious” and that since his post, she has received countless comments calling her a “disgusting freeloader.”

However, since the 22-year-old's heartfelt response was uploaded to YouTube, it appears the Dublin hotel has faced their own backlash following the controversy.

In a recent post to the Facebook page in response to the video, Stenson declared in all capital letters: “All bloggers banned from our business.”

https://www.facebook.com/WhiteMooseCafe/posts/2049013308712608

“Following the backlash received after asking an unidentified blogger to pay for a hotel room, I have taken the decision to ban all bloggers from our hotel and cafe,” he wrote - before denying that he had ever exposed Darby, and “the sense of entitlement is just too strong in the blogging community.”

And on The White Moose Cafe Snapchat, Stenson said the controversy just "puts into question the authenticity of influencer marketing," because "She would have spoken nicely about the hotel only because she was getting it for free."
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/hotel-bans-influencers-instagram-social-media-stars-elle-darby-the-white-moose-cafe-a8166926.html

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Luxury Dublin Hotel Bans All "Social Media Influencers"
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 08:55:47 AM »
The White Moose is renowned for cheap publicity stunts like this.
They refuse to allow people to order gluten free options unless they have a doctors certificate to 'prove' they are celiac. You don't get a cert with your diagnosis, you would have to pay 50euros for a note just to eat there.

He has banned vegans.

He just does something every few months to stay in the news and make shitty people like his page.
This was a perfectly polite and professional inquiry. A simple 'no' would have sufficed.
Most restaurants fail and I hope this guys is one of them.

Offline janine.b

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 11:25:18 AM »
It might have been a polite enquiry and he's a shitbag, or whatever, but holy crap I can understand wanting to call someone out like that. Of course, I never would because it is a shitty thing to do, but my full time work is selling my handmade stuff online. I get requests ALL the time from so called "social media influencers" wanting free stuff to "review".

I'm shocked she manages to live on 87,000 YouTube subscribers and 76,000 Instagram followers though. That's really not many. From a sellers point of view my friends and I have found it takes at least 500,000 followers to get any decent return on giving free stuff away and I'm talking less than £20 most of the time. I find it hard to believe 5 nights hotel stay would be anywhere near good value for the hotel. He's still a shitbag for calling her out like that, probably knowing they'd work out who it was. But it all feels odd.

I also notice she's now on 94,000 youtube subscribers now.

Online Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 01:24:46 PM »
Yeah she is clearly a chancer. I have very little time for such people, but having seen this guy in the media over ad over again for shitty behaviour, I have no good things to say about him and have very little reason to take a charitable reading of his behaviour.

Offline yonnie

• Brand New
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 08:24:12 PM »
paid for advertising costs a hell of a lot more than a few free-loading nights.  What's wrong with that hotel manager?  Happy customers generate revenue you can take to the bank.

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 06:36:24 AM »
If you call yourself a social media influencer, then you're declaring yourself to be a public figure, if not an advertising agency, and either way I think it's fair for people to make a public response to your professional actions.

Or the entities who are responsible for creating social media influencers need to cut them off, rather than expose them to something they shouldn't be exposed to.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 10:35:14 AM »
From the above, it sounds like it's shitbags all around. This gal trying to get a free hotel stay on the promise of telling a few thousand of her YT followers that they should stay there (and how many of those few thousands would ever be in Dublin anyway???) and finding that she'd tried to scam a scammer. It is absolutely unethical for an advertising agency to tell a business, "Pay us for advertising or else." "Social influencer" is nothing but disreputable advertising. Well, more disreputable than regular advertising, which is pretty vile to begin with.

It reminds me of a book or movie or something (don't remember which) about two grifters, each (separately) pretending to be rich to try to snag a rich spouse. Each falls for the other's scam and they get married, each thinking they're going to have an easy life married to a multi-millionaire, but finding out in the end they're both broke. This at a time when divorce was harder to get than it is now.

As for refusing to serve vegan or gluten-free, a restaurant could just say on their menu, "Sorry, all our food has gluten and meat. That's what this restaurant is." Offering gluten-free to people with a "certificate" just sounds weird. Anyway, we're talking about Dublin, right? I'll bet there are a dozen, if not a hundred, other restaurants within walking distance.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline janine.b

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 12:19:03 PM »
Well, it's all helped her out quite a lot. She's now over 110,000 subscribers on Youtube. I'd never heard of the hotel before, I won't stay there and I probably wouldn't have anyway, but I'd be willing to bet it's not done them much harm either. She's benefited from people feeling bad for her and the hotel has far more free advertising than letting her stay would have. Win/win for them.

I'm a bit sick of social media influencers and gurus.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 12:41:50 PM »
From other reporting, I gather that the hotel is mostly full all the time. They didn't need advertising.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 08:08:01 PM »
Daniel- Its not about whether or not there are other restaurants near by.
You should not need to do online research to find out if you will be belittled in a restaurant when you ask about your dietary limitations.
Besides which, he makes a big deal of this on his own social media which does nothing but perpetuate dangerous misconceptions about celiac disease. Because of the kind of attitude he promotes, I have heard numerous stories of people sneaking gluten into the meals of people they are sure are 'faking'.
And when my symptoms were less severe, I was really fucking sick of people thinking they had caught me in a lie etc.
Again, I really hope this restaurant fails to be honest.

Offline janine.b

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2018, 02:15:53 AM »
From other reporting, I gather that the hotel is mostly full all the time. They didn't need advertising.

Every business needs advertising. It’s not all about getting new customers, a lot of it is staying relevant and keeping old customers.

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2018, 12:01:53 PM »
Because of the kind of attitude he promotes, I have heard numerous stories of people sneaking gluten into the meals of people they are sure are 'faking'.

If they're actually doing that, that should be a lawsuit or a criminal prosecution.

Online Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2018, 03:43:14 PM »
Because of the kind of attitude he promotes, I have heard numerous stories of people sneaking gluten into the meals of people they are sure are 'faking'.

If they're actually doing that, that should be a lawsuit or a criminal prosecution.
Absolutely.
Its hard to trace it back to a specific restaurant or meal though.
The way I have heard of it is servers bragging about it so hopefully its bs.

personate-rain