Author Topic: Does drinking booze help to kill bacteria or viruses?  (Read 692 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster
Re: Does drinking booze help to kill bacteria or viruses?
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2018, 03:20:25 PM »
So it seems like getting drunk is not an efficient way to kill a disease then. Oh well. Things that sound too good to be true usually are not true.

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2018, 12:27:55 AM »
I think the theory is that although alcohol doesn't actually cure the illness, if you get drunk enough you don't care.

Mark Twain, however, took the opposite tack: When he got sick, the doctor told him to quit drinking and smoking because his medicines didn't have a chance against the alcohol and tobacco. So he cut back on both until he got better. He had an elderly lady friend who got sick, and he recommended to her that she cut back on drinking, smoking, and cussing. She couldn't take his advice because she didn't do any of those things. He said she was a sinking ship with no freight to throw overboard.

While alcohol can help alleviate some cold or flu symptoms like body aches, night chills, or sleeplessness, alcohol consumption is known to reduce white blood cell counts. So I suspect that it might actually weaken the immune system against infection.

I have heard of a serious bender killing a tapeworm. Imagine having that start coming out while you're hung over.

*shudder*

I had a friend in high school who did a bit in which he would proclaim in a voice like a fire-and-brimstone preacher something to the effect that if you drop a worm in water, what does it do? it swims, lord, it swims! But if you drop that same worm in alcohol, it dies, lord, it dies! What does this prove? If you drink alkyhol you ain't never gonna have worms!

I suspect he got the bit from some performer.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Keo_Mitchell

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • Revel In The Absurd
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2018, 09:59:24 PM »
Pfft folks are just approaching it wrong, alcohol can only cure illness if it has activated charcoal in it.
The key to happiness is to embrace the absurd.

Users Fanboy List: gmalivuk XXXXX, CarbShark XX, PANTS! XXXX <3

personate-rain
personate-rain