Author Topic: 2018 Celebrity Death Game  (Read 5395 times)

Offline unixTechie

• Stopped Going Outside
  • I don't do windoze.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
Re: 2018 Celebrity Death Game
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2018, 06:00:03 PM »
It is almost time to start thinking about next year's game.
I'm ok to run it if no-one else wants to volunteer.

I was thinking we'd keep the same list of 50 and just replace the 4 dead celebs.
With all 50 ranked 1 to 50 (most likely to die at 1, to least likely at 50) as we did this year.

A slight modification to brilligtove's scoring suggestion, Scoring would be 51-R (where R = where you ranked that person)
Top of your list would be worth 50 points. The bottom person would be worth 1 point.

The 4 names I was thinking of adding unless anyone objects were:
Olivia de Havilland
Betty White
Harry Belafonte
Mel Brooks

If no-one else volunteers or there are no objections to the 4 celebrity additions, I will create a 2019 thread next weekend to start the game.

I'm putting together a spreadsheet with the new list, including ages at the start of 2019. I'll share when it's ready.

Do we want an age bonus? Maybe +20, +10, +5 for the youngest, second youngest, and third youngest conversion to corpse?
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2018, 01:23:55 AM »
I'm putting together a spreadsheet with the new list, including ages at the start of 2019. I'll share when it's ready.

Do we want an age bonus? Maybe +20, +10, +5 for the youngest, second youngest, and third youngest conversion to corpse?

How would that work? Would it be calculated at the end of the year. Whoever ranked the youngest to die the highest on their list would get 20 points?

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2018, 07:19:06 AM »
That's what I was thinking. Our list is filled with people over 90, but our hit rate was only 8% in 2018 (so far). I had dinner with some game designers last week, and now I'm trying to think of some game mechanics that involve more than waiting. Early morning thoughts include:

To make any list, the person must be famous enough to have a wikipedia.org entry. These ideaerz are just ideas... some may be contradictory or not workable, etc. It is two hours before my awaketime, new puppy, etc.
  • Wildcard Slot: After each death from the list each player can draft one person onto their list.
  • The 90's Sucked: After age 90 a death gets you points based on your ranking (51-n), but no other bonuses.
  • The Youth Vote: Any death from your list comes with a bonus Youth Factor equal to the (year of their birth - 1900). If you pick John Cena as your wildcard and he buys it in 2019, you're looking at a 77 point bonus. Cameron Boyce would net 99 points, and Jacob Tremblay a whopping 106.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2018, 02:57:30 PM »
I have kicked off the 2019 game here:

https://sguforums.com/index.php/topic,50864.0.html

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2018, 05:37:42 PM »
Just a reminder that we are about a day away from the 2019 game starting.

https://sguforums.com/index.php/topic,50864.0.html

The time zone of the celebrity's death will be used to determine if it happens in 2019 or not.

personate-rain