Poll

Who is more awesome, Billy Joel or Paul Simon?  

Billy Joel
Paul Simon

Author Topic: Who is more awesome, Billy Joel or Paul Simon?  (Read 1742 times)

Online jt512

• Well Established
    • jt512
Re: Who is more awesome, Billy Joel or Paul Simon?
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2018, 03:57:21 AM »
Confirmation bias: I misread the title as "Who is more annoying, Billy Joel or Paul Simon."  And I'm like, "Yes, I'm not the only person in the world who finds both these guys insufferable. Can we add Randy Newman to the poll?"  Alas, alas.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 04:05:30 AM by jt512 »
Nur dass ich nicht nur Katzen gemacht habe.

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2018, 12:12:20 PM »
I can't stand Billy Joel either.

Paul Simon is capable of greatness when he's not stealing other musicians' work.

Yes.

From what I understand he is a complete dick. (and Garfunkel is as well from what I have heard from people who have worked for him).
I have to say while I have a strong affection for a lot of Simon's music, the stuff that I don't like, I REALLY don't like. He can be insufferably pretentious.

Joel's lyrics bug me more than the music. He is either punching down, or complaining about someone or trying wayyyy too hard.

Offline SnarlPatrick

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2018, 07:10:44 AM »
This song seals it for Simon imo. Whereas while I kinda like "moving out"... but generally, Joel leaves me cold... very pop. Simon's African influenced stuff is horrendous... but like John Albert said, he is capable of greatness.

Quote from: materialist_girl
SnarlPatrick, you are a nazi apologist piece of shit. You're a coward who hides behind the internet   ....   and I can only imagine it's a good thing your Jewish ancestors are dead so they don't have to watch you grow into the bigoted nazi creep you've become.

Offline SnarlPatrick

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2018, 11:56:28 AM »
Now I don't know... this song is the best... I still think Simon... but by a smaller margin.

Quote from: materialist_girl
SnarlPatrick, you are a nazi apologist piece of shit. You're a coward who hides behind the internet   ....   and I can only imagine it's a good thing your Jewish ancestors are dead so they don't have to watch you grow into the bigoted nazi creep you've become.

Offline SQ the ΣΛ/IGMд

• Atheist extraordinaire
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Pondering the cosmos since 1969
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2018, 05:52:51 PM »
Joel has a few songs I really like.
River of Dreams, only the good die young, Anthony's song and a few others.
But overall I think Simon is a better song writer.
Others have said they don't like the African texture to some of his music but I find it original in the way he incorporates it into pop.
Graceland is probably my favorite album by him.
"That's ridiculous, spooks. That's silly!" ~ The Tin Woodsman - The Wizard of Oz ~

"Like it or not, we are stuck with science.  We had better make the best of it." ~ Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World ~

Offline CarbShark

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2018, 08:15:05 PM »
I just heard Disturbed do their cover of "Sounds of Silence."

Brilliant.

Game over.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just a guy who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2018, 02:53:50 AM »
I just heard Disturbed do their cover of "Sounds of Silence."

Brilliant.

Game over.

I love their version. Better than S&G's version which I have always loved.

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2018, 07:58:52 AM »
OMG disturbed is the worst :P you all have the taste of sullen teens who's only musical exposure is a top 40's chart. That version is so over produced and sounds calculated by committee vote.  Even though I'm in the minority here, stand by Joel all the way. To me disturbed weakens the case for Simon.

Offline CarbShark

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2018, 09:31:39 AM »
OMG disturbed is the worst :P you all have the taste of sullen teens who's only musical exposure is a top 40's chart. That version is so over produced and sounds calculated by committee vote.  Even though I'm in the minority here, stand by Joel all the way. To me disturbed weakens the case for Simon.

This is the only thing by them I've ever liked. (Or even listened to all the way through).

I'm not a doctor, I'm just a guy who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2018, 03:54:11 PM »

This is the only thing by them I've ever liked. (Or even listened to all the way through).

Same. I don't like any of their other music.

Which is not strange for me. A lot of groups, whose music I dislike, have that one song I love. Like Linkin Park.
Music is subjective. I have a very eclectic taste in music for a 56 year old from Classical right through to (some) rap and hip hop.

I abhor music snobbery. Just because you don't like something, doesn't mean it doesn't have it's merits for some people.

Offline SQ the ΣΛ/IGMд

• Atheist extraordinaire
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Pondering the cosmos since 1969
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2018, 05:47:11 PM »

I like Disturbed, hate that version of the song.
"That's ridiculous, spooks. That's silly!" ~ The Tin Woodsman - The Wizard of Oz ~

"Like it or not, we are stuck with science.  We had better make the best of it." ~ Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World ~

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2018, 04:26:00 PM »
I like talking smack about music but please don't take me seriously on it. I like a huge range of things and plenty of it is embarrassing. When I was younger played music and hung out with only other musicians and we where all horrible snobs about it. Some habits die hard. This thread was not meant to be taken that seriously and agree that music is subjective. You like what you like and won't be talked out of or into liking Taytay or disliking something you like. I get it, I was just smack talking about my preferences, I did not mean to offend anyone.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2018, 05:34:14 PM »
I like talking smack about music but please don't take me seriously on it. I like a huge range of things and plenty of it is embarrassing. When I was younger played music and hung out with only other musicians and we where all horrible snobs about it. Some habits die hard. This thread was not meant to be taken that seriously and agree that music is subjective. You like what you like and won't be talked out of or into liking Taytay or disliking something you like. I get it, I was just smack talking about my preferences, I did not mean to offend anyone.

No problem  8) I knew you couldn't be too serious about good music with a LMFAO GIF avatar ;)   ;D

Offline God Bomb

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2018, 02:54:53 AM »
Simon wrote "Bridge over troubled water".  nuff said.
Fell deeds awake. Now for wrath, now for ruin, and the red dawn.

Offline CarbShark

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2018, 10:55:38 AM »
Simon co-wrote “Bridge Over Troubled Water” with Art Garfunkel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

personate-rain
personate-rain