Author Topic: The interesting rotorcraft video thread  (Read 1176 times)

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
The interesting rotorcraft video thread
« on: February 09, 2018, 09:19:23 PM »
Kaman K-MAX. Fascinating bird,

bonus music video with footage from Elan's training in the Kaman HH-43B Huskie,

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
Re: The interesting rotorcraft video thread
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 11:57:28 PM »
Is it bad that I spent that entire video watching his mustache?
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 11:07:15 AM »
I had long pondered the still photos of the Kellett KD-1 autogyro flying off the roof of the main Philadelphia post office. The year was 1939, a time prior to the commercial development of the helicopter. Never having seen helicopters, what a bizarre and wondrous sight this must have been at the time.

This was a year long test the postal service conducted between the airport in Camden, NJ and the 30th Street post office building in Philly. A very big deal apparently as more than 52,000 first flight envelopes were produced for the initial event.

In 2009 16mm color footage of Capt. John Miller flying the Kellett KD-1 from the post office to Camden and back was released. My jaw drops. Never expected to see this let alone in color. This was filmed on a fairly windy day and in such conditions autogyros can achieve very short takeoffs and zero roll landings. John really greased that first landing in Camden, man that's graceful. (Autogyro segment begins at around 1:54 in the video)

Captain John M. Miller left this earth at age 102,

"John served as a captain for United Airlines and later Eastern Airlines, flying the DC-2 and DC-3 and the Boeing 247. He served a test pilot for the Grumman J2F5 "Duck" amphibian, worked as an active flight instructor well into his '90s, and was still flying his 1969 Bonanza at age 102. He complained that the FAA required him to fly with a safety pilot in his last few years, refusing to believe anyone his age could have passed a legitimate medical exam."

http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?do=main.textpost&id=bed6e8f0-c1f6-4694-9fa6-439a4e40d93a

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 12:49:07 PM »
While I can't condone buzzing a locomotive cab, there are some sick skills on display here.

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 04:04:05 PM »
I don't think I've ever seen a video of an autogyro flight before. I'm not sure I'd even seen a picture of one before. Of course I've known what they are since forever, but this is the first time I've seen one flying. Thanks for posting.

And that's pretty cool the way it takes off and lands so steeply and at such slow speed.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 10:18:46 AM »
Drone technology circa 1957

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 06:12:42 PM »
Did anyone else see the footage of the Chinook backing onto a mountainside to rescue stranded climbers?
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiarii?

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 08:16:36 PM »
That was mount Hood in Oregon. The stranded climber was attempting suicide and changed his mind.

That was some intense piloting. I don’t think that would be possible without computer assisted control

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2018, 12:59:09 PM »
Did anyone else see the footage of the Chinook backing onto a mountainside to rescue stranded climbers?
Raw footage, no sound

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2018, 01:00:49 PM »
MD 520N overview

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2019, 09:32:06 AM »
The only remaining airworthy Pitcairn PA-18. Magic!

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2019, 09:42:36 PM »
Sport Copter, a maker of gyroplanes, uploaded their old sales DVD today. Noteworthy for the loops and rolls demonstrated. These are maneuvers rarely seen in a gyroplane because gyros are a very unforgiving aircraft if you screw up attempting these,