Author Topic: Health, Fitness, Nutrition, and Medicine.jpg  (Read 3620 times)

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
Re: Health, Fitness, Nutrition, and Medicine.jpg
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2019, 05:51:33 AM »
Im so glad someone corrected that graphic. I was about to make a life endangering decision based on my misconception that Dr House sets a reasonable standard for medical practice.

Dr. House is basically Sherlock Holmes recast as a physician. As such, he's supposed to operate according to an almost supernatural level of proficiency so advanced that even his closest associates are totally baffled by his brilliance.

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2019, 07:51:49 AM »
Im so glad someone corrected that graphic. I was about to make a life endangering decision based on my misconception that Dr House sets a reasonable standard for medical practice.

Dr. House is basically Sherlock Holmes recast as a physician. As such, he's supposed to operate according to an almost supernatural level of proficiency so advanced that even his closest associates are totally baffled by his brilliance.
To be clear, I was ridiculing the idea that anyone would feel the need to point out that he does not follow best practice.

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2019, 09:08:11 AM »

It always amuses me when people marvel at the brilliance of Sherlock Holmes. (Absolutely not referring to anyone here, but I've known people like this.) The books are well-constructed and enjoyable, but Holmes' "brilliance" is all artificial, constructed as it is by the author, who can work backwards from a solution to invent clues appropriate to the literary purpose. The same is true of Dr. House, though Hugh Laurie is a good actor.

The people to admire are the authors, for inventing fun stories and telling them well, not the characters, who are mere inventions.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2019, 11:56:12 AM »
It always amuses me when people marvel at the brilliance of Sherlock Holmes.

In the superhuman brain of Sherlock Holmes, an argument from omniscience is the pinnacle of sound deduction: "When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

Unfortunately, that's not how reasoning works in real life.

To be clear, I was ridiculing the idea that anyone would feel the need to point out that he does not follow best practice.

Of course he doesn't have to follow best practices. He's Dr. Gregory House!

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2019, 01:01:47 PM »
There are times when Dr.House almost kills his patients before finally curing them.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2019, 01:53:36 PM »
The make-believe healing method I like better than having a super-genius doctor would be getting bitten by a werewolf, becoming a werewolf, and then every time I change all my illnesses and injuries are healed. Of course I'd want to be the kind of werewolf who does not become a mindless killer who cannot remember what the wolf did.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2019, 03:49:58 PM »
The make-believe healing method I like better than having a super-genius doctor would be getting bitten by a werewolf, becoming a werewolf, and then every time I change all my illnesses and injuries are healed. Of course I'd want to be the kind of werewolf who does not become a mindless killer who cannot remember what the wolf did.

Become a werecow! I have vivid memories of every lawn and baby I consume for days after.

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2019, 05:39:39 PM »

Become a werecow! I have vivid memories of every lawn and baby I consume for days after.

With all due respect, I'd rather be an animal that runs through the moonlit forest than one that stands around all day chewing its cud and shitting wherever it happens to be standing.  ::)   :laugh:
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2019, 06:07:33 PM »
Hey, we can jump over the moooon, okay.
Mooohn!

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2019, 09:40:37 PM »
Hey, we can jump over the moooon, okay.

That's fine for you. I'd get space sick.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2019, 09:43:50 PM »
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2019, 12:40:57 PM »

This actually reminded me of something I wrote a long time ago, circa 1989, when I was protesting the nuclear weapons in North Dakota, where I lived at the time. And just this morning while going through papers I found a copy of it:

And I had personal experience of cows because I worked on a dairy farm.

The barnyard dairy cow is an indolent and dirty animal. It spends most of its time standing in its pasture, drooling from its nose, and staring stupidly off into the distance. From time to time it lifts its tail and spews its watery dung over the alfalfa. It is more curious than the proverbial cat. Whenever anything new appears in its realm, it ambles over and presses its wet, slimy face against it, covering the object with filth. It is slow to move out of anyone's way. It is tolerated because it gives milk: a mixture of high-grade protein with arterial clog, truly a mixed blessing.

The Minuteman missile is a thirteen-million-dollar genocide machine. The factory that manufactures it shits radioactivity into the ground water and drools sickness and death over the surrounding countryside. The missile stands in its underground silo staring stupidly off into the intercontinental distance. When it is triggered it will transform three large cities into rubble-strewn crematoria. It kills civilians and soldiers all indiscriminately and therefore is a violation of the Geneva Conventions on warfare and a crime against humanity. It's manufacture creates a small number of jobs and a great deal of corporate profit, while clogging the national economy with debt. A questionable blessing indeed.

The Minuteman missiles which infest the fertile plains of North Dakota are truly COWS FROM HELL!
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2019, 01:29:24 PM »
Some how lost a kg while out running.
Pretty sure I didn't sweat a litre of fluid😂

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2019, 03:00:53 PM »

This actually reminded me of something I wrote a long time ago, circa 1989, when I was protesting the nuclear weapons in North Dakota, where I lived at the time. And just this morning while going through papers I found a copy of it:

The barnyard dairy cow is an indolent and dirty animal. It spends most of its time standing in its pasture, drooling from its nose, and staring stupidly off into the distance. From time to time it lifts its tail and spews its watery dung over the alfalfa. It is more curious than the proverbial cat. Whenever anything new appears in its realm, it ambles over and presses its wet, slimy face against it, covering the object with filth. It is slow to move out of anyone's way. It is tolerated because it gives milk: a mixture of high-grade protein with arterial clog, truly a mixed blessing.

Mooohn!

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2019, 05:24:38 PM »

I am an anti-cow bigot. They're truly disgusting animals. Note, however, that I still don't eat them because their disgustingness is no excuse for treating them cruelly.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck