Author Topic: Health, Fitness, Nutrition, and Medicine.jpg  (Read 2761 times)

Online bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Well Established
Re: Health, Fitness, Nutrition, and Medicine.jpg
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2019, 07:40:48 AM »
Regardless of his credentials, he's given out so much harmful advice on so many subjects that I don't consider him worthy of consultation for any serious issue at all.

Maybe, if you’ve got psychological problems?  Although, it’s probably an oxymoron stating that if you were considering consulting Dr Phil that you didn’t have serious psychological problems.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Online CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2019, 11:36:53 AM »
Dr Phil has a PhD in clinical psychology

I stand corrected.

But I still contend that he should be much closer to the "Run Very Far" end of the spectrum.
Agreed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Online CarbShark

« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2019, 11:38:09 AM »
Regardless of his credentials, he's given out so much harmful advice on so many subjects that I don't consider him worthy of consultation for any serious issue at all.

Maybe, if you’ve got psychological problems?  Although, it’s probably an oxymoron stating that if you were considering consulting Dr Phil that you didn’t have serious psychological problems.
Sounds like a corollary to Catch-22 

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2019, 06:06:39 PM »

It's a bad idea to take his advice on any problem, psychological or otherwise.

But millions and millions of people still hang on his every word because he's on TV, and especially because he's a friend of Oprah.

Online CarbShark

« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2019, 06:43:10 PM »

It's a bad idea to take his advice on any problem, psychological or otherwise.

But millions and millions of people still hang on his every word because he's on TV, and especially because he's a friend of Oprah.

Apparently, back in the day, he gave really good advice on jury selection, and jury observations, where he and his team would study the jury during a trial and help their side improve their storytelling and tactics.

That's how he and Oprah became BFFs. He helped her win a jury trial her own legal team told her they were likely to lose.

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2019, 06:41:44 PM »
Apparently, back in the day, he gave really good advice on jury selection, and jury observations, where he and his team would study the jury during a trial and help their side improve their storytelling and tactics.

That's how he and Oprah became BFFs. He helped her win a jury trial her own legal team told her they were likely to lose.

Okay, so I'll concede that jury selection may or may not have been one thing which he was really good at giving advice about.

But on his TV show he's also given loads of arbitrary, highly biased, scientifically invalid, sometimes bigoted, and potentially life-ruining advice on countless issues to millions of people.

Online CarbShark

« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2019, 07:05:18 PM »

Okay, so I'll concede that jury selection may or may not have been one thing which he was really good at giving advice about.

But on his TV show he's also given loads of arbitrary, highly biased, scientifically invalid, sometimes bigoted, and potentially life-ruining advice on countless issues to millions of people.

No disagreement there. I'd say he's about on par with Dr. Oz. Well trained but dangerous. (Although, I hear that as a physician Dr. Oz give his patients good care. I haven't heard the same thing about Dr. Phil.)

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2019, 09:41:07 PM »
If you really dig into the substance of their respective advice, Dr. Oz is probably even worse than Dr. Phil. But who really wants to be the judge of a turd contest?

Online CarbShark

« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2019, 10:59:44 PM »
There’s probably a difference between what Dr Oz does on TV and his medical practice

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #69 on: June 02, 2019, 11:05:38 PM »
There’s probably a difference between what Dr Oz does on TV and his medical practice

I'd rather not take the risk of finding out.

personate-rain