Author Topic: Health, Fitness, Nutrition, and Medicine.jpg  (Read 3912 times)

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
Re: Health, Fitness, Nutrition, and Medicine.jpg
« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2019, 03:49:37 AM »
After successfully treating with antivenin, many (most?) people experience serious infectious problems from pathogenic bacteria from the snake. 

Dr Tommy Wood describes his encounter with a Fleur de Lance in Costa Rica, somewhere...  It wasn't pleasant.

"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #76 on: July 01, 2019, 04:11:54 AM »
After successfully treating with antivenin, many (most?) people experience serious infectious problems from pathogenic bacteria from the snake.

Indeed. Besides the potential for venom, the snake bites often become infected if not properly treated.

Add to that the possibility of other negative consequences that might result from the application of anti-scientific quack "cures."

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #77 on: July 01, 2019, 11:05:34 AM »

Dr Tommy Wood describes his encounter with a Fleur de Lance in Costa Rica, somewhere...  It wasn't pleasant.

I don’t believe there is a anti-venom for the copperhead snake in use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2019, 03:39:25 AM »
I'm no herpetologist, but I still think it's potentially deadly advice to direct snakebite victims away from emergency rooms. That was the whole point of the picture, as well as my follow-up comments.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #79 on: July 02, 2019, 11:32:27 AM »
Probably better to have said just that then rather than make false statements.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #80 on: July 02, 2019, 11:37:54 AM »
What false statements did John Albert make?

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #81 on: July 02, 2019, 11:46:42 AM »
So confused by the turn this took. 

Offline CarbShark

Health, Fitness, Nutrition, and Medicine.jpg
« Reply #82 on: July 02, 2019, 11:51:36 AM »
Yeah, I can only hope that the copperhead snake bite post was not seriously requesting medical advice, because if that's the case then somebody probably died as a consequence.
This is false.

Bites from copperheads are very rarely fatal.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 11:55:52 AM by CarbShark »

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #83 on: July 02, 2019, 12:11:43 PM »

Offline SnarlPatrick

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #84 on: July 03, 2019, 12:37:26 PM »
Does anyone know about using Tumeric as an anti-inflammatory for joint, muscle, and back pain? I saw some promotion for it and I'm going to give it a try. I hope I haven't just fallen for a scam. Only 7 bucks though.
Quote from: materialist_girl
SnarlPatrick, you are a nazi apologist piece of shit. You're a coward who hides behind the internet   ....   and I can only imagine it's a good thing your Jewish ancestors are dead so they don't have to watch you grow into the bigoted nazi creep you've become.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #85 on: July 03, 2019, 03:48:39 PM »
Does anyone know about using Tumeric as an anti-inflammatory for joint, muscle, and back pain? I saw some promotion for it and I'm going to give it a try. I hope I haven't just fallen for a scam. Only 7 bucks though.

I take one capsule of the local (NZ) brand daily.  It has helped  the osteoarthritis in my left ankle.  It certainly hasn't cured it, of course, but has mitigated the chronic pain and increased mobility.

I think I might send away for a liposomal brand, though.  It seems that a study shows that (like other micronutrients) that fat helps  absorption by the body,
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #86 on: July 03, 2019, 08:46:06 PM »

It's delicious in a curry. There's little to no evidence of health benefits.

Yeah, you've been had. I just checked the website of a major Australian supermarket chain. Turmeric from the culinary aisle costs $4.89 for a 10g bottle. A similarly-sized bottle of supplemental turmeric capsules costs $17.00.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline SnarlPatrick

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #87 on: July 03, 2019, 10:58:28 PM »
Apparently, it needs to be paired with peppercorn to be meaningfully bioavailable. That and capsuling them would justify some price difference from cooking Tumeric. Assuming it's true. My markup wasn't as bad.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 11:02:33 PM by SnarlPatrick »
Quote from: materialist_girl
SnarlPatrick, you are a nazi apologist piece of shit. You're a coward who hides behind the internet   ....   and I can only imagine it's a good thing your Jewish ancestors are dead so they don't have to watch you grow into the bigoted nazi creep you've become.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #88 on: July 04, 2019, 01:11:18 AM »
Apparently, it needs to be paired with peppercorn to be meaningfully bioavailable. That and capsuling them would justify some price difference from cooking Tumeric. Assuming it's true. My markup wasn't as bad.

Can confirm that turmeric and pepper are absolutely delicious in a curry. Try also a little cumin and diced birdseye chilli. Remove the seeds if you don't want it too fiery.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

personate-rain