Author Topic: Health, Fitness, Nutrition, and Medicine.jpg  (Read 5785 times)

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
Re: Health, Fitness, Nutrition, and Medicine.jpg
« Reply #90 on: July 04, 2019, 05:33:06 AM »
Apparently, it needs to be paired with peppercorn to be meaningfully bioavailable. That and capsuling them would justify some price difference from cooking Tumeric. Assuming it's true. My markup wasn't as bad.

It's cheap and safe enough to see if it works for you. It keeps me mobile. Piperine increases bioavailability of the curcumin up to 2000% and a quick Google search will nearly always find something to support one's predilections.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3535097/

Subsequent to the first seminal paper published in 1949 in Nature, numerous preclinical studies have provided a solid basis for examining curcumin’s efficacy against human diseases. As discussed in this review, curcumin has shown therapeutic potential against a number of human diseases. Common to all of these studies have been the safety, tolerability, and non-toxicity of this polyphenol, even at doses up to 8 g per day. The underlying mechanism for curcumin’s clinical efficacy seems to be modulation of numerous signaling molecules. However, because of the complex nature of the diseases, the underlying mechanism in many cases remains unclear./quote]
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #91 on: July 09, 2019, 12:04:41 PM »
Neat presentation about evaluating health-correlates of gut micriobiomes:

Not a topic I've read up on but it looks interesting as hell
... in war the screams are loud and harsh and in peace the wail is so drawn-out we tell ourselves we hear nothing.

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #92 on: July 13, 2019, 01:56:00 PM »
OK, without cheating... know who this is?  Top photo is her 103rd birthday a few weeks ago.

Amend and resubmit.

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #93 on: July 13, 2019, 01:59:35 PM »
I do not.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #94 on: July 13, 2019, 02:10:42 PM »
Now THAT is a vibrant looking 103 year old!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 04:33:54 AM by Harry Black »

Offline Ron Obvious

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #95 on: July 13, 2019, 09:28:29 PM »
Vera Lynn?

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #96 on: July 13, 2019, 09:52:43 PM »
Only see one photo... she would have been born in 1916.. Would have been 20 in 1936... Olivia De Havilland? She's still around.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
Amend and resubmit.

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #98 on: August 23, 2019, 05:31:44 PM »

Online bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #99 on: August 23, 2019, 05:50:45 PM »
Off topic (the previous one from eatliver.com was too):

https://www.eatliver.com/trump-vs-greenland/
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline RubyDuckman

• Doesn't Panic
« Reply #100 on: August 26, 2019, 08:06:51 PM »

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Online xenu

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #101 on: August 27, 2019, 10:31:12 AM »
Anyone here lacto intolerant? I'm finding that the older I get the less dairy I can eat without spending the next day or so in the bathroom. (I know TMI) I work out a lot and I am finding my weight dropping becomes my primary source of food is dairy or dairy related. I don't really want to increase my meat consumption but I might have to. Ideas ? Just looking for food ideas.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
« Reply #102 on: August 27, 2019, 11:38:43 AM »
Anyone here lacto intolerant? I'm finding that the older I get the less dairy I can eat without spending the next day or so in the bathroom. (I know TMI) I work out a lot and I am finding my weight dropping becomes my primary source of food is dairy or dairy related. I don't really want to increase my meat consumption but I might have to. Ideas ? Just looking for food ideas.

I imagine lactose intolerance onset at such age is very unusual and would question if you are sure it is specifically lactose. That said, one can develop a distate for dairy. If you are describing an incident where you felt nauseous, and associated it with the taste of dairy, then you will have that reaction unless you unlearn it. It can happen with pretty much any kind of food.

Rarely had occasion to try lactose-free milk, except the enzyme breaks down the lactose in a way that makes it rather sweet. I drink a lot of soymilk on occasion (unsweetened, high fat variety). I don't know about non-dairy cheese, but I'd like to see more competitive non-dairy yogurt. That's stuff better than the real thing.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #103 on: August 27, 2019, 01:06:03 PM »
Milk, cream, ice cream and yoghurt will have me sprinting to the bathroom within 5minutes and making return trips for the next day (I'll see your TMI and raise you :P) whether its lactose free or not. Goats milk is the same as cows milk for me but better for some Im told.

I can tolerate butter and hard to medium cheese with zero problem though so maybe check that out first?

I dont have many issues though, I drink about a pint of soy milk a day, eat at least 2 soy yoghurts. The Icecream is nice but melts very fast. Vegetable spreads are a fine replacement for butter in most cases.

I could never drink milk but used to eat icecream and yoghurt until I was 17 and started doing crazy amounts of cardio training and it gave me cramps. It fucks me up way more now than it did then.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #104 on: August 27, 2019, 02:39:37 PM »
I think I have the same issue and it gets worse as I get older.

But I don’t think it’s lactose for me. Cream has very little lactose.

I was having digestion issues that gradually became worse. I tried an elimination protocol and as soon as I stopped drinking coffee the issue went away. So I knew it was the coffee or the cream. I added cream back and the issue returned immediately. Stopped all cream and had coffee again and the issue went away again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.