Author Topic: Secular Jihadists  (Read 735 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster
Secular Jihadists
« on: February 15, 2018, 03:13:33 PM »
Has anyone here listened to the podcast Secular Jihadists? They describe themselves the following way:

Throughout history, freethinkers have outraged the religious with their wacky ideas about the virtues of free speech, reason, and, of course, eating babies. Now, God is dying—and it's time to dispose of his remains. From the pits of Hell, Satan sends two puppets of the imperialist West and the Zionist Jews against God, Islam, and tiny kittens to bring you their propaganda and conspire for a new world order. This is Secular Jihadists for a Muslim Enlightenment—with Ali Rizvi and Armin Navabi.

They seem to have some pretty interesting interviews, and not only with people from Muslim backgrounds. They have one with a former Scientologist, and one with a former Hasidic Jew.
"Large skepticism leads to large understanding. Small skepticism leads to small understanding. No skepticism leads to no understanding." - Xi Zhi

Offline nameofthewave

• Keeps Priorities Straight
Re: Secular Jihadists
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 01:56:35 PM »
I like this podcast, it is interesting. They are pretty scathing about Islam, as you might expect ex-Muslims to be. A minority who it is important to give a voice to, imho

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 02:16:26 PM »
Sounds interesting. Will check it out, thanks.
Mooohn!

Offline God Bomb

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 07:46:03 PM »
I'm a big supporter of evil atheism and baby eating so this sounds right up my alley.
Fell deeds awake. Now for wrath, now for ruin, and the red dawn.

Offline God Bomb

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 10:42:21 PM »
I just listened to the Tania Joya interview.  Mixed feelings about it.  One the one hand, great story about escaping both literally and psychologically from extremism.  On the other hand some things just felt wrong.  Maybe in the grand scheme they are nitpicks when compared to the overall positive.
For example, her whole attitude towards her ex-husband is a little weird.  When she talks about how she was skyping with him regularly until recently, and how he's a good father and how she still loves him, despite the fact she is now an apostate, humanist and seemingly a pacifist to some degred, it evoked a strong negative reaction when I heard her say anything positive about him.  Or when she told a story about how he never bought her jewelry so she called him to complain when she saw him wearing rings after they were divorced.  Like they were a typical an ex-married couple on friendly terms sharing a joke.  I have an automatic and strong negative reaction because for most of us, someone in the higher echelons of ISIS is just automatically a detestable person akin to a Heinrich Himmler or Ratko Mladić.  If she did a complete 180 and no longer shared any of his beliefs how could she still talk to him on friendly terms and not just view him as party to mass atrocities?

I don't agree with her that Isis should be left alone because they're no worse than Saudi Arabia or Iran.  True that those countries have similar strict Sharia law, the difference is they are not actively expansionist (which was brought up, but her counter argument seemed like a non-sequitor) and another difference is that they are established already, the damage is done.  They aren't currently in the process of  genocide, mass rape and enslavement as they attempt to set up a caliphate.  If there had been no military action against ISIS and they had gone unchecked until now, the situation could be far worse. 

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 11:59:39 AM »
I'm listening to episode 14 in which they are interviewing the reformist imam (Tawhidi). The guy obviously means well, but it's even harder to listen to than the Neal Adams interview on the SGU. Clerics are so full of shit. I just want to slap some sense into him. How can religious people stand listening to this empty bleating? So much blatantly obvious mental gymnastics... It's like screeching chalk on a chalkboard to me.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 12:24:49 PM by werecow »
Mooohn!

Offline God Bomb

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 03:41:32 AM »
yeah dropped this one, too many hosts and shows revolving around interviews kind of get old because  interviews are always 50% uncomfortable to listen to.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 06:15:08 AM »
yeah dropped this one, too many hosts and shows revolving around interviews kind of get old because  interviews are always 50% uncomfortable to listen to.

They only have two hosts now.
Mooohn!

personate-rain