Author Topic: Episode #658  (Read 4111 times)

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
Re: Episode #658
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2018, 08:11:55 PM »
I hope that the SGU keeps us appraised of the financial repercussions of the water damage. I ceased contributing money to the SGU because of the association with Marc Randazza, but I'd be happy to chip in for a campaign where the funds are directed to helping rebuild.
That was his private home, pretty sure he can handle it. But I do wish there was transparency regarding operations of the SGU/NESS and related entities. What are the costs, what is the income? You are hawking products, what are they paying you?

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2018, 12:58:32 AM »
I still maintain it's poor home design  ;)

The 2 times I've had a major water issue in the laundry, I've been glad my laundry is in a separate building from the main house, on a concrete pad, on the lowest edge of my property with drainage directly into a storm water drain. Oh and I'm also glad there was no wiring in the lower half of the laundry.

Think of the worst that can go wrong with water, because eventually it will and mitigate for least damage.

Offline lucek

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2018, 06:55:35 AM »
Not to be insensitive but this was a moderate leak and he has insurance. Out of pocked he's probably going to have to shell a few hundred to a grand. It sucks but not something that requires a gofundme.
You have the power, but. . .
Power is just energy over time and. . .
Energy is just the ability to do work.

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2018, 09:05:30 AM »

The 2 times I've had a major water issue in the laundry, I've been glad my laundry is in a separate building from the main house, on a concrete pad, on the lowest edge of my property with drainage directly into a storm water drain. Oh and I'm also glad there was no wiring in the lower half of the laundry.

Think of the worst that can go wrong with water, because eventually it will and mitigate for least damage.

His was a poor implementation certainly. We too wanted some convenience so our washing machine is located out on an insulated enclosed porch. Gets cold but does not freeze and if the water were to leak it's a step down from the main floor of our single story home. The plumber and carpenter guided us to this solution, knowing plenty of examples of Dr. Novella's small disaster. A Connecticut Plumber Gave Steven a Bum Steer reads the headline.

Do you have a Hills Hoist? Whereas in the USA people try to discourage line drying, in Australia it appears celebrated.

Online daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2018, 09:39:44 AM »
... I do wish there was transparency regarding operations of the SGU/NESS and related entities. What are the costs, what is the income? You are hawking products, what are they paying you?

What privately-held company provides such information? SGU is a company that provides a product (the podcast and occasional other content). It's available for free with ads, or you can pay for an ad-free version and occasional additional "premium" content. Beyond that you can donate if you feel so inclined. There's no particular reason they should disclose their finances.

I donate because I really like what they do. I hope they make buckets of money from it, considering how much work they put into it (especially Steve, with the editing). But I doubt they make all that much.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2018, 10:13:54 AM »
... I do wish there was transparency regarding operations of the SGU/NESS and related entities. What are the costs, what is the income? You are hawking products, what are they paying you?

What privately-held company provides such information? SGU is a company that provides a product (the podcast and occasional other content). It's available for free with ads, or you can pay for an ad-free version and occasional additional "premium" content. Beyond that you can donate if you feel so inclined. There's no particular reason they should disclose their finances.

I donate because I really like what they do. I hope they make buckets of money from it, considering how much work they put into it (especially Steve, with the editing). But I doubt they make all that much.
The claim has been made that they would drop the ads if they received enough donations. For that I want transparency. Why donate to an LLC? What privately held companies ask for that?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 10:16:02 AM by DevoutCatalyst »

Online Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2018, 10:23:28 AM »

Having a washer on the second floor is definitely not a common design.  Most homes have the washer and water heater in or near the garage, or in a utility room on the ground floor.  That being said, there are plenty of multi story apartments with washing machines, so it's not unheard of.  It's a good reminder for everyone to check the connections on all of your fixtures with a water supply.
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Online Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2018, 12:11:14 PM »
Reminds me of a place i rented in college.  The sewer backed up and flooded the basement, there was a water fall down the entertainment center.

In retrospect it was probably just stormwater, it didn't stink nearly enough to be sewage, I still tell the story that way, its funnier. 

Offline gebobs

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Me like hockey!
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2018, 01:03:32 PM »
I would only ask that the rogues look into it at least enough to learn proper pronunciation. Principia Discordia. That first part has 3 i's, but the last one was omitted. Considering the title is an intentional and unambiguous reference to the Principia Mathematica, I would have assumed that there would be a passing familiarity with the term.

LOL...I've never heard of it but the reference seemed obvious to me. While they never pass up a chance to correct Jay's frequent mispronunciations, I was surprised no one called Evan on this. Surely they all have some text in front of them and they all surely know the pronunciation is Principia.

On another note, I liked the quote from Rosalind Franklin. I'm sure it occurred to her every time she made a sammich for Watson and Crick. ;-)

Online daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2018, 01:10:15 PM »

The claim has been made that they would drop the ads if they received enough donations. For that I want transparency. Why donate to an LLC? What privately held companies ask for that?

There is no reason to donate, unless you like the show enough that you want to give them money for it. I give them money because I feel like it. You should not give them money unless you, too, feel like it. Otherwise, listen to the free version if you enjoy the show.

It's a lot like a street busker. He plays an instrument on the street corner. Should you give him money? There is no "should" or "should not." You give him money if his music is so enjoyable to you that you feel like giving him money.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Alex Simmons

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2018, 05:22:02 PM »
Do you have a Hills Hoist?

Most homes with decent sized yards have a version of one. We have one and it's currently full of clothes very wet from the rain that happened before I was able to bring them in.

We also have a dryer as it's not always practical to dry everything on a line or rack and at times we can have extended rain periods and high humidity making drying everything in a reasonable time all but impossible. Our dryer carked it recently and so we'll be upgrading to a new one soon. It'll likely be a heat pump condenser dryer and will be used when we can't line dry.

Our home is all on one level. The laundry floor has a floor drain like in the bathroom/shower, and the floor tiles have a fall line to the drain to the main wastewater. Standard set up for wet rooms here. Any upstairs wet room must have a floor drain to the main wastewater and the floor and walls must have underfloor (usually under tiles) waterproofing.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2018, 02:29:15 AM »
Do you have a Hills Hoist? Whereas in the USA people try to discourage line drying, in Australia it appears celebrated.

I've never lived in a house that didn't have one.

Even though I live in an area where it rains 5 days a week on average, you don't waste the chance to dry clothes for free  ;)
The only thing I use a dryer for is towels.

I love that stamp. You are not a real Aussie kid if you've never swung around on a Hill's Hoist.  8) Never when mum's around though  ;D
Though that girl is using it wrong.  ;) It's obviously locked in position. It has to be wound up to release those teeth at the top

Offline God Bomb

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2018, 09:08:18 PM »
Discordianism?  What's that?  Sounds fun... people on a skeptic site are following this?   Can someone sum it up for me in 1 sentence, or provide a video so I can passively learn about it while making zero effort?
Fell deeds awake. Now for wrath, now for ruin, and the red dawn.

Offline lucek

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2018, 06:45:54 AM »

For note the NESS is a non-profit educational organization and is run at a loss from my understanding. Or at least it was for like 20 years. So yeah these are actual donations unlike 90% of "donations" on kickstarter indygogo or patrion. You don't have to donate that's the point after all.
You have the power, but. . .
Power is just energy over time and. . .
Energy is just the ability to do work.

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2018, 09:09:35 AM »

For note the NESS is a non-profit educational organization and is run at a loss from my understanding. Or at least it was for like 20 years. So yeah these are actual donations unlike 90% of "donations" on kickstarter indygogo or patrion. You don't have to donate that's the point after all.
NESS is not SGU Productions LLC. I said I want transparency. If they don't want to provide it, that's their prerogative.

personate-rain