Author Topic: Episode #658  (Read 2779 times)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
Episode #658
« on: February 17, 2018, 11:46:47 AM »
News Items: Win Against Homeopathy, Life Beneath the Ice, Illuminati, Cancer-Fighting Nanorobots; What’s the Word: Presbyopia; Who’s That Noisy; Science or Fiction
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline Igor SMC

• Not Enough Spare Time
Re: Episode #658
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 03:38:51 PM »
Very interesting episode! But there was just one thing that I thought could be kinda misleading... Steven said that Aspartame is perfectly healthy... But I've heard otherwise. Our bodies are constantly calibrating the levels of absorption of calories against their taste. If you drink something with no calories and with a very sweet taste, you are signaling to your systems that it can increase calories absorption for sweets. Next time you eat something sweet, your body will therefore absorb more calories from it, comparing to what it would if you just drank the normal sugary drink. Depending on your drink/sugary-food ratio, this might increase your overall calories, instead of decreasing it.

I heard that only diabetic people should care about something being Diet or not.... Does that make sense?
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable"

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 05:07:04 PM »
I have bionic eyes. Specifically I had cataract surgery: they remove the natural lens, clouded by the cataract, and replace it with an artificial lens. I went from having 20-400 vision, or 5% visual acuity, and both myopia and presbyopia as well as a lot of astigmatism, to having nearly 20-20 vision and almost no astigmatism. But I am severely presbyopic because the artificial lenses do not deform in response to the eye muscles the way young natural eye lenses do. It was a good trade-off and I can now see distant stuff better than I ever have.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 05:09:54 PM »
I think they talked about some deep-sea creatures. My next travel will be to Roatan, Honduras, to go down 2,000 feet in a home-made deep-sea submersible.

http://www.stanleysubmarines.com/

Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 05:14:22 PM »
Presbiopia: Steve is not entirely correct on the vision changes. My prescription for myopia got a little better in both eyes (from 3.50 to 3.25 on the right and 4.25 to 3.75 on the left). The dramatic difference has been the dramatic shift of the range I can actually see without correction. Before this I could see the hell out of something about 2-3cm from my uncorrected eyes. Now I can read my iPad at 15-45cm most days. Since I turned about 40 I have been able to read without glasses as a result.

Of course that means I need bifocal contacts, which I HIGHLY recommend.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 11:14:27 AM by brilligtove »
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline bachfiend

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 05:35:27 PM »
Very interesting episode! But there was just one thing that I thought could be kinda misleading... Steven said that Aspartame is perfectly healthy... But I've heard otherwise. Our bodies are constantly calibrating the levels of absorption of calories against their taste. If you drink something with no calories and with a very sweet taste, you are signaling to your systems that it can increase calories absorption for sweets. Next time you eat something sweet, your body will therefore absorb more calories from it, comparing to what it would if you just drank the normal sugary drink. Depending on your drink/sugary-food ratio, this might increase your overall calories, instead of decreasing it.

I heard that only diabetic people should care about something being Diet or not.... Does that make sense?

I think that that makes no sense.  Being able to digest and absorb a simple disaccharide such as sucrose should not be affected by whether you previously had something sweet.  To digest sucrose, you need sucrase.  To induce production of sucrase, previous sucrose will do it.  Aspartame won’t.

I think Aspartame might increase your calorie intake if it increases your taste for sweet foods. 

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 06:12:11 PM »
The big problem with artificial sweeteners is psychological: "I'm drinking diet pop so I can have an extra helping of french fries."
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online arthwollipot

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 09:30:47 PM »
I was a little surprised that none of the rogues had heard of Discordianism. I had kind of assumed that it was a staple of conspiracy theory, just like homeopathy is a staple of alt-med.

This is entirely a bias on my own part - because I know a lot about it, I tend to assume that others do too. However, that is rarely the case.
Self-described nerd

Offline Igor SMC

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2018, 10:39:10 PM »
From proper scientific peer-review articles from reputable sources.... Yes, artificial sweeteners DO alter the response of our bodies to other sugars. From I'm reading, it seems that if you do not have diabetes, it makes no sense to chose the Diet version of things.

Artificial sweeteners produce the counterintuitive effect of inducing metabolic derangements

This paper discusses these findings and considers the hypothesis that consuming sweet-tasting but noncaloric or reduced-calorie food and beverages interferes with learned responses that normally contribute to glucose and energy homeostasis. Because of this interference, frequent consumption of high-intensity sweeteners may have the counterintuitive effect of inducing metabolic derangements.
Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3772345/

Small study suggests consuming large amounts of artificial sweeteners may increase risk of developing type 2 diabetes
Artificial sweeteners can change the body's response to glucose when consumed in large amounts, and could add to the risk of developing type 2 diabetes, says new research.
Source: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/09/170913193141.htm

Artificial Sweeteners Alter Gut Response to Glucose

Habitual consumption of artificial sweeteners commonly found in diet drinks alters the gut's response to glucose — affecting absorption, glycemic response, and response of gut glucagonlike peptide 1 (GLP-1)
Source: https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/885945

Of course, if you consume Diet things rarely, its perfectly ok. The problem starts if you combine lots of Diet foods with sugary stuff.... In this case, you are having a worse combination than the just going for the standard version of the sodas. Our brains evolved to associate sugar with high calories.... drinking a lot of sweet stuff with absolutely zero calories is bound to have an effect.
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable"

Offline thefirstorthodoxcaveman

• Brand New
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2018, 10:52:28 PM »
For a long, twisted and interesting fictional take on the Illuminati - I recommend The Illuminati Trilogy - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Illuminatus!_Trilogy. Some people compare it to the Da Vinci Code - only more postmodern and awesome. For the slow readers ( such as me ) go for the abridged Audio book - the oration is amazing.
It introduced me to the following things: The Illuminati
Discordianism
Eschatology
The Nights Templar
The Freemasons
The Eye of Providence
In a satirical hyperbolic way. Too bad is is fiction because I would kill to have the golden submarine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bachfiend

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2018, 11:24:39 PM »
From proper scientific peer-review articles from reputable sources.... Yes, artificial sweeteners DO alter the response of our bodies to other sugars. From I'm reading, it seems that if you do not have diabetes, it makes no sense to chose the Diet version of things.

Artificial sweeteners produce the counterintuitive effect of inducing metabolic derangements

This paper discusses these findings and considers the hypothesis that consuming sweet-tasting but noncaloric or reduced-calorie food and beverages interferes with learned responses that normally contribute to glucose and energy homeostasis. Because of this interference, frequent consumption of high-intensity sweeteners may have the counterintuitive effect of inducing metabolic derangements.
Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3772345/

Small study suggests consuming large amounts of artificial sweeteners may increase risk of developing type 2 diabetes
Artificial sweeteners can change the body's response to glucose when consumed in large amounts, and could add to the risk of developing type 2 diabetes, says new research.
Source: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/09/170913193141.htm

Artificial Sweeteners Alter Gut Response to Glucose

Habitual consumption of artificial sweeteners commonly found in diet drinks alters the gut's response to glucose — affecting absorption, glycemic response, and response of gut glucagonlike peptide 1 (GLP-1)
Source: https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/885945

Of course, if you consume Diet things rarely, its perfectly ok. The problem starts if you combine lots of Diet foods with sugary stuff.... In this case, you are having a worse combination than the just going for the standard version of the sodas. Our brains evolved to assoc”iate sugar with high calories.... drinking a lot of sweet stuff with absolutely zero calories is bound to have an effect.

The first paper doesn’t exclude the possibility that the differences aren’t just behavioural - people who make a habit of consuming artificially sweet foods and beverages develop a preference for sweet stuff containing sugar.

The other two links are referring to the same study, which on face value is interesting albeit small (30 test subjects and 30 controls) and short term (2 weeks).  The artificial sweeteners (and placebo) were given in capsules before meals, so the subjects wouldn’t have been able to taste the added sweetness.  The controls seem to have had a 20% alteration in glucose after infusion of a glucose solution into the small bowel (why they didn’t do a standard glucose tolerance test is beyond me).

Another point is that glucose isn’t a major part of people’s diet.  I’d be more interested if the study demonstrated that giving artificial sweeteners affected the response to challenge with disaccharides such as sucrose, not a simple sugar such as glucose.

Both are based on press releases.  I would like to see the published article.  And it needs to be replicated.

Online Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2018, 11:46:24 PM »
It sounds like poor house design to have the laundry upstairs, with 2 levels below.  ???

Offline bachfiend

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2018, 05:19:20 AM »
It sounds like poor house design to have the laundry upstairs, with 2 levels below.  ???

I was thinking the same thing.  Although, I wonder if it’s an American thing, putting the laundry near the bedrooms (where most of the washing would be generated), if the washing is going to be dried in a dryer instead of an outside clothes line.

It’s certainly warned me that whenever I travel I should remember to turn off the water mains before I leave.

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2018, 06:51:16 AM »

I was thinking the same thing.  Although, I wonder if it’s an American thing, putting the laundry near the bedrooms (where most of the washing would be generated), if the washing is going to be dried in a dryer instead of an outside clothes line.

It’s certainly warned me that whenever I travel I should remember to turn off the water mains before I leave.
There are automatic water valves for just such a scenario.

https://www.plumbingsupply.com/washingmachineshutoffvalve.html

Which the American consumer would have learned about on a home improvement TV show, the same show that told you to put your washing machine in a foolish yet convenient location. Americans must be pampered, it is written, so the laundry chute that would have conveniently sent dirty clothing to the basement from the third floor for washing no longer serves that purpose if the home still has one.

Electric or gas clothes dryers are an abomination. You can line dry year round, outdoors or indoors, depending on the weather. Not every life situation permits this, but most homeowners could line dry. Makes your bathroom toweling as nice and crispy as a luffa. Would guess most people use dryers in the USA even on Earth day.

Offline lucek

• Off to a Start
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2018, 07:09:03 AM »
Hey Steve if you are going to have a washer on the 2nd floor of your house you should look into automatic shutoffs.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013TMFQVS/ref=asc_df_B013TMFQVS5375334/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B013TMFQVS&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167164501807&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13970852820094733524&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9002051&hvtargid=pla-275690502638

That is a cheap model for like 40 bucks that detects big leaks and cuts off the water. However there are more fancy one that rang into the hundreds of dollars with increasing lists of features.
Also consider a drained pan for under the washer for small leaks. Grand total like $60 and you can for the most part not worry about leaks.

Not sponsored btw. Just good advice for home owners.
You have the power, but. . .
Power is just energy over time and. . .
Energy is just the ability to do work.

personate-rain