Author Topic: Episode #658  (Read 4206 times)

Offline drproximo

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • fnord
    • blaugh
Re: Episode #658
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2018, 12:09:25 PM »
I'm a Discordian, have been for over a decade. I won't go into any rant about how they barely touched the surface, and mildly misrepresented Discordianism. I would only ask that the rogues look into it at least enough to learn proper pronunciation. Principia Discordia. That first part has 3 i's, but the last one was omitted. Considering the title is an intentional and unambiguous reference to the Principia Mathematica, I would have assumed that there would be a passing familiarity with the term. And speaking of omitted i's, I'm pretty sure that someone said "Discordanism" at least once. It's Discordianism. Maybe someone had the word "discordant" stuck in the brain.

Oh well. Fnord.
"Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life."

- Jack Kerouac, On The Road

Online daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2018, 12:23:37 PM »
My washing machine is on the main floor, in the pantry room next to the kitchen. I had a leak once and got some water in the basement. But the leak was small and no damage was done other than some slight discoloration on a basement wall.

Shutting off the water before leaving on vacation is good practice, but in Steve's case, he was not on vacation. He was merely at work. Sorry to hear about the event and the damage.

I cannot use a clothes line. HOA rules. But I'm happy to have that excuse. I've used clothes lines in the past and it's a bother, and towels and underpants come out stiff, and then it rains and all the clothes are even wetter than when they come out of the machine.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2018, 01:17:22 PM »
We shut off the water after each usage of the washing machine. Good exercise for the manually operated valves. No worries about leaking ever as we don't wash clothing when not at home. A flooded home isn't worth the repair cost or effort when prevention is a simple habit.

If outdoor clotheslines are not an option, you can line dry clothing indoors year round on portable folding racks but you will need good ventilation during warm or humid weather or your walls may get moldy from excessive humidity. We have an enclosed breezy porch where growing mold is not a factor. Using non-renewable energy to get fluffy towels seems a terrible bargain but it appears to be what many people choose.

In the US, some states have overruled homeowner association covenants, limiting them to specifying type of clotheslines -- retractable, temporary, therefore out of sight when not in use as one example. Putting away clotheslines when not in use is a courtesy that I can agree with. Our outdoor clothesline is similar to the Aussie rotary type, excepting it is a triangle and can handle lengthy bedding despite a relatively small size. It should last forever as it is kept indoors when not in use. The neighbors are presented the least opportunity to gawk at it.

There are situations where line drying may not be practical. As one example there are people with allergies who won't want pollen on their bedding, although indoor line drying may still be possible for them. And so forth. We do not own a dryer but I wouldn't scold those that have no other option.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2018, 02:03:16 PM »
For a long, twisted and interesting fictional take on the Illuminati - I recommend The Illuminati Trilogy - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Illuminatus!_Trilogy. Some people compare it to the Da Vinci Code - only more postmodern and awesome. For the slow readers ( such as me ) go for the abridged Audio book - the oration is amazing.
It introduced me to the following things: The Illuminati
Discordianism
Eschatology
The Nights Templar
The Freemasons
The Eye of Providence
In a satirical hyperbolic way. Too bad is is fiction because I would kill to have the golden submarine!
That's where I got most of my initial knowledge too. It's about the weirdest trilogy ever, and kind of hard to read, for a lot of reasons. Fnord.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline Martin Werr

• Brand New
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2018, 02:06:24 PM »
Regarding Evan's question about hearing discordia on the radio: I wonder if he happened upon a broadcast(s) of Firesign Theatre. The comedy group produced many surreal albums in the 60s and 70s which featured sections that could easily fit Evan's description, particularly their literal excerpting of James Joyce's Ulysses. Joyce's works were pretty inaccessible and seemingly random. Regardless, Firesign Theatre had a habit of jumping about aimlessly, and I could see how someone who wasn't sure what they were listening to could be mystified.

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2018, 04:29:43 PM »
Leaks, dryers, haven't listened to the podcast yet, but on those topics;

I discovered a water leak because of a light that was out (in a house I wasn't living in, incidentally, but a neighbor house with no one else in it at the time). Water was spraying from a pipe running along the ceiling in the basement, and into a light switch so the circuit breaker went. Same circuit as a ground floor hallway light. Lucky that the pipes were "open", or that could've built up a lot more before I noticed. Not so lucky that the main valve was falling apart and wasn't functioning. Ended up having to to turn off the pressure tank and run a tap until it stopped.

And I mainly use the dryer for towels. They become coarse otherwise. Not sure what the alternative is. At least it's hydropowered.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 04:38:39 PM by 2397 »

Offline Keovar

• Brand New
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2018, 09:16:49 PM »
I'm a Discordian, have been for over a decade.
Me too, a couple decades now. 

Rogues: It’s not a conspiracy or religion so much as it’s a send-up or parody of those things.  If you like Monty Python (and Douglas Adams, since he did a lot of writing for them) or the Absurdism of Albert Camus, you’ll probably like the Principia Discordia. 
https://principiadiscordia.com/book/1.php

My favorite is the primer for Erisian Evangelists. (Eris = Greek, Discordia = Roman)
———————
A PRIMER FOR ERISIAN EVANGELISTS by Lord Omar

The SOCRATIC APPROACH is most successful when confronting the ignorant. The "socratic approach" is what you call starting an argument by asking questions. You approach the innocent and simply ask "Did you know that God's name is ERIS, and that He is a girl?" If he should answer "Yes." then he probably is a fellow Erisian and so you can forget it. If he says "No." then quickly proceed to:
        THE BLIND ASSERTION and say "Well, He Is a girl, and His name is ERIS!" Shrewedly observe if the subject is convinced. If he is, swear him into the Legion of Dynamic Discord before he changes his mind. If he does not appear convinced, then proceed to:
        THE FAITH BIT: "But you must have Faith! All is lost without Faith! I sure feel sorry for you if you don't have Faith." And then add:
        THE ARGUMENT BY FEAR and in an ominous voice ask "Do you know what happens to those who deny Goddess?" If he hesitates, don't tell him that he will surely be reincarnated as a precious Mao Button and distributed to the poor in the Region of Thud (which would be a mean thing to say), just shake your head sadly and, while wiping a tear from your eye, go to:
        THE FIRST CLAUSE PLOY wherein you point to all of the discord and confusion in the world and exclaim "Well who the hell do you think did all of this, wise guy?" If he says, "Nobody, just impersonal forces." then quickly respond with:
        THE ARGUMENT BY SEMANTICAL GYMNASTICS and say that he is absolutely right, and that those impersonal forces are female and that Her name is ERIS. If he, wonder of wonders, still remains obstinate, then finally resort to:
        THE FIGURATIVE SYMBOLISM DODGE and confide that sophisticated people like himself recognize that Eris is a Figurative Symbol for an Ineffable Metaphysical Reality and that The Erisian Movement is really more like a poem than like a science and that he is liable to be turned into a Precious Mao Button and Distributed to The Poor in The Region of Thud if he does not get hip. Then put him on your mailing list.
———-
"It's horrible," said Rincewind.
I'M INCLINED TO AGREE, said Death.
"I would have thought you'd be all for it!"
NOT LIKE THIS. THE DEATH OF THE WARRIOR OR THE OLD MAN OR THE LITTLE CHILD, THIS I UNDERSTAND, AND I TAKE AWAY THE PAIN AND END THE SUFFERING.
I DO NOT UNDERSTAND THIS DEATH-OF-THE-MIND.

Offline Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2018, 10:37:19 AM »
My washing machine is on the main floor, in the pantry room next to the kitchen. I had a leak once and got some water in the basement. But the leak was small and no damage was done other than some slight discoloration on a basement wall.

Shutting off the water before leaving on vacation is good practice, but in Steve's case, he was not on vacation. He was merely at work. Sorry to hear about the event and the damage.

I cannot use a clothes line. HOA rules. But I'm happy to have that excuse. I've used clothes lines in the past and it's a bother, and towels and underpants come out stiff, and then it rains and all the clothes are even wetter than when they come out of the machine.

I haven't read the whole thread, so sorry if this has been mentioned, but take a minute and inspect your washing machine connectors.  If they aren't braided steel and in good shape, replace them.  It's well worth the time and expense.  The old style rubber hose connectors wear out.

Also, check your lavatory, sink and toilet connectors.  They should all be the braided steel type.  They aren't super expensive, and the average Joe/Jane can easily replace them.  Again, the old style compression type fittings can blow out fairly easily.
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Online daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2018, 03:30:14 PM »

I haven't read the whole thread, so sorry if this has been mentioned, but take a minute and inspect your washing machine connectors.  If they aren't braided steel and in good shape, replace them.  It's well worth the time and expense.  The old style rubber hose connectors wear out.

Also, check your lavatory, sink and toilet connectors.  They should all be the braided steel type.  They aren't super expensive, and the average Joe/Jane can easily replace them.  Again, the old style compression type fittings can blow out fairly easily.

Thanks.

Yep, braided steel except the washing machine, which has rubber hoses, but also shut-off valves so I can shut them off before the hoses.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online Alex Simmons

• Well Established
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2018, 04:17:46 PM »

Braided steel hoses fail as well. Insurance companies warn about them as being one of the bigger causes of home flooding.
https://www.budgetdirect.com.au/blog/how-a-10-pipe-can-cause-thousands-of-dollars-of-water-damage-to-your-home.html

Offline Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2018, 04:42:24 PM »

Braided steel hoses fail as well. Insurance companies warn about them as being one of the bigger causes of home flooding.
https://www.budgetdirect.com.au/blog/how-a-10-pipe-can-cause-thousands-of-dollars-of-water-damage-to-your-home.html

I think the bottom line is that having a pressurized water connection in your home is a risk, and all plumbing connections need to be maintained. Nothing lasts forever.

I maintain, though, that the braided steel supplies are much less prone to leakage and blowout than the old compression style connections.  Also the braided steel washing machine connectors are far superior to the old style rubber hoses. Remember, entropy is out there, it never sleeps, and it WILL bite you in the ass.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2018, 05:44:29 PM »

I think the bottom line is that having a pressurized water connection in your home is a risk, and all plumbing connections need to be maintained. Nothing lasts forever.

I maintain, though, that the braided steel supplies are much less prone to leakage and blowout than the old compression style connections.  Also the braided steel washing machine connectors are far superior to the old style rubber hoses. Remember, entropy is out there, it never sleeps, and it WILL bite you in the ass.

Holy Mispelt Fish!

Either Bender is entropy or everyone else is entropy and bender is pure order??!?
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2018, 06:12:52 PM »
I think Steven should post photos of his ceiling damage. We once had a neighbor living above us who knocked over a keg of beer. Beer started dripping from our ceiling and then later (and quite suddenly) the plaster let go of the lath and a huge area of plaster crashed to the floor in our living room. What a mess. That neighbor was evicted.

An earlier commenter mentioned installing a drain pan for the washing machine -- that would seem to me to be mandatory in such an installation once Steven's home has been repaired. Don't chance getting soaked again.

Online Alex Simmons

• Well Established
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2018, 07:31:08 PM »

Oh I agree they will be better than the old style hoses for washing machines. I was more thinking more about sinks and toilets where the old style was fixed copper pipe, now days they install the hoses instead. Pipes would last way longer than those hoses ever would.

And yes, good idea to turn off the mains if away for some time.

Offline fuzzyMarmot

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2018, 08:02:15 PM »
I hope that the SGU keeps us appraised of the financial repercussions of the water damage. I ceased contributing money to the SGU because of the association with Marc Randazza, but I'd be happy to chip in for a campaign where the funds are directed to helping rebuild.

personate-rain