Author Topic: Episode #659  (Read 4089 times)

Offline God Bomb

• Seasoned Contributor
Re: Episode #659
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2018, 07:33:01 PM »
This week's science or fiction was interesting for the most part, but again Steve failed to mention that water has the annoying tendency to flow downhill.

Fell deeds awake. Now for wrath, now for ruin, and the red dawn.

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2018, 07:51:30 PM »
This week's science or fiction was interesting for the most part, but again Steve failed to mention that water has the annoying tendency to flow downhill.
At the beginning he gave a pretty good summary of the water flowing downhill damage to his house.

Online stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2018, 08:48:41 PM »
"5G-like speed" is open to interpretation. For example, gigabit LTE infrastructure is currently in the process of being rolled out by various US cell phone companies. But I think Evan got the gist right, which is that "5G equivalent" means gigabit. Even "regular" 4G LTE typically supports 50 megabits per second upload, and BTW that is the minimum upload speed required for the 5G spec.

What they got wrong, however, is that they started talking about Starlink as thought it is a satellite phone company, just based on reporting of "5G equivalent speed", which is not the same thing as providing 5G via satellite. I think satellite phones are a cool idea and would like to see more providers, but 5G cannot travel 700 miles, and could definitely not deliver that kind of bandwidth to a mobile device.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/02/5g-imt-2020-specs/
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/02/spacexs-satellite-broadband-nears-fcc-approval-and-first-test-launch/

That to me just sounded like a huge claim so I checked wiki and you can "install easily at end-user premises for approximately US$200" well that's about the bottom 20% of people out straight away regardless of any subscription cost.

Even in developing countries, it will still be used for commercial and municipal use. The US definition of broadband is now 25 mbps. A local company or government could get a gigabit connection and provide "broadband" to dozens of people (or maybe a hundred at once, depending on actual use patterns).

Although the satellites will not directly be usable by cell phones, the satellite connection could also be used as infrastructure/backbone (as opposed to fiber), making it much more economical to install new cell towers.

I am curious how much spectrum SpaceX owns and how much data can actually be transmitted. Based on the large number of satellites, I expect they are using highly directional antennas, so one would multiple the amount of radio bandwidth they own by a thousand or several...

Online stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2018, 08:57:54 PM »
On violent video games, I'm surprised, and a bit disappointed, that they did not mention the elephant in the room: The hue and cry against violent video games with reference to shootings, is a clear and baldfaced attempt to distract from the real issue: Guns and their much-too-easy availability. Don't have to talk about guns if the real issue is that violent video games are the real problem.

Big surprise that the only country where guns per capita is nearly 1:1 is virtually the only place where shootings are regular; we might be surprised that shootings aren't orders of magnitude more common than they are.

The first first-person shooter with 3D polygon-mesh graphics (i.e. modern 3D game) was actually developed by a Japanese company in 1994. (https://www.giantbomb.com/geograph-seal/3030-41606/)

Offline Here2

• Brand New
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2018, 09:44:18 PM »
Surprised they didn't talk about water being a polar molecule  -- I thought that was how Steve was trying to trip them up

Offline Here2

• Brand New
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2018, 09:47:56 PM »

I love Elon Musk as much as next nerd but I would just love to see some ounce of skeptical thought when he's been discussed. This starlink sounds awesome and it will help a lot of people no doubt but the idea it's going to bring internet to poor people around the world?

Again I think Musk is one of the good guys but the way he's talked about on this podcast it's like the second coming of Jesus.
Glad I'm not the only one that thinks they're crushin' too hard over Elon
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 09:50:14 PM by Here2 »

Offline God Bomb

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2018, 03:04:34 AM »
Maybe vocal support of Elon will encourage other ridiculously rich people to take on similar projects.
Fell deeds awake. Now for wrath, now for ruin, and the red dawn.

Offline RMoore

• Off to a Start
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2018, 12:29:18 PM »
“Hasty Generalization” is what popped into my mind.

But if one is arguing based on a misunderstanding of how the physical world works, is that really fallacious reasoning?

For example, one would do better to explain how the effect of drug doses actually work, addressing not the logic of the argument but the factual basis of it.

If you are talking about formal fallacies, then having faulty premises is not a fallacy. Your argument may be valid, but it won't be sound.

But hasty generalization is an informal fallacy.

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2018, 01:48:56 PM »

I love Elon Musk as much as next nerd but I would just love to see some ounce of skeptical thought when he's been discussed. This starlink sounds awesome and it will help a lot of people no doubt but the idea it's going to bring internet to poor people around the world?

Again I think Musk is one of the good guys but the way he's talked about on this podcast it's like the second coming of Jesus.
Yeah it's so annoying to hear my brother blather on about how Phish is the best band ever... it's just unnatural to hero worship people you respect.  :P
Jay is the most hyperbolic person, ever. I'd say take his hero worship with a grain of salt.
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline Skepmic

• Off to a Start
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2018, 03:16:01 PM »
What makes Oscar Micheaux a FSOS? I didn't quite get it while listening and after giving his Wikipedia page a read I still don't. He seems like a cultural figure.

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2018, 07:48:41 PM »

Yeah it's so annoying to hear my brother blather on about how Phish is the best band ever... it's just unnatural to hero worship people you respect.  :P
Jay is the most hyperbolic person, ever. I'd say take his hero worship with a grain of salt.
I dont think its all hyperbole. Jay does not seem to apply critical thought to anything Musk does.

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2018, 08:38:16 AM »
So is Jay the one who gushes over new technology? I thought it was Bob. The nepotism has me confused.

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2018, 09:05:16 AM »
I can't tell them apart (except Steven and Cara, and formerly Rebecca). One of them does seem emotionally extreme. Everything is so absolutely wonderful, fabulous, marvelous, whether it's a movie or a new finding, and every new discovery is going to completely transform the world. E.g., driverless car technology was going to lead to self-driving hotel rooms that would detach from the hotel and pick you up at the airport. Say WHAT?!?!?!?!? Driverless car technology was going to lead to buildings that come apart, drive around, and re-assemble themselves??? My first thought was "What's he been smoking?" If detachable, drivable hotel rooms were remotely feasible, we could have them now. It's not like there's any shortage of people to drive them.

But I guess it's just his uncritical ebullience. That's probably better than being a sourpuss like me. I really need to move to Maui. I'm never sour when I'm in a kayak on the water. My kayak guides (and my hiking guides) all think that I am always cheerful.

Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2018, 11:23:42 AM »
Sorted by tech gushing; Bob, Jay, Cara, Evan, Steve.

Sorted by tushing; Bob, Steve, Jay, Cara, Evan.

Descending order.

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2018, 01:32:04 PM »
Sorted by tech gushing; Bob, Jay, Cara, Evan, Steve.

Sorted by tushing; Bob, Steve, Jay, Cara, Evan.

Descending order.
Pop culture gushing Jay definitely takes the first place. I love his enthusiasm, I wish I had more of it. I get why it bugs people as it sounds uncritical, but Jay is also good at revising his stance and admitting when he hangs on too long because he wants to believe.
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.