Author Topic: Episode #660  (Read 8007 times)

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
Re: Episode #660
« Reply #120 on: March 16, 2018, 03:18:14 AM »

I don’t disagree that a high fat/low carbohydrate diet won’t be successful in some, perhaps many people.  The evidence that it will be successful in most is ‘iffy.’

I'd say most.

Weight loss aside, this is the part of the study that shows that a LCHF diet improves the significant coronary health markers, HDL and triglycerides.

Both groups were able to improve certain health markers (BMI, body fat percentage, waist circumference, blood pressure, and fasting insulin and glucose levels), although no significant differences were seen between groups. At the 12-month mark, low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-C) had significantly decreased in the low-fat group (-2.12 mg/dL), while it had increased in the low-carb group (+3.62 mg/dL). However, the low-carb group also saw a significant increase in high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL-C) (+2.64, vs +0.40 mg/dL in the low-fat group) and greater reductions in triglycerides (-28.20, vs -9.95 mg/dL in the low-fat group)./quote]

https://examine.com/nutrition/low-fat-vs-low-carb-for-weight-loss/
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Well Established
« Reply #121 on: March 16, 2018, 03:58:11 AM »

I don’t disagree that a high fat/low carbohydrate diet won’t be successful in some, perhaps many people.  The evidence that it will be successful in most is ‘iffy.’

I'd say most.

Weight loss aside, this is the part of the study that shows that a LCHF diet improves the significant coronary health markers, HDL and triglycerides.

Both groups were able to improve certain health markers (BMI, body fat percentage, waist circumference, blood pressure, and fasting insulin and glucose levels), although no significant differences were seen between groups. At the 12-month mark, low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-C) had significantly decreased in the low-fat group (-2.12 mg/dL), while it had increased in the low-carb group (+3.62 mg/dL). However, the low-carb group also saw a significant increase in high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL-C) (+2.64, vs +0.40 mg/dL in the low-fat group) and greater reductions in triglycerides (-28.20, vs -9.95 mg/dL in the low-fat group)./quote]

https://examine.com/nutrition/low-fat-vs-low-carb-for-weight-loss/

Maybe.  But the aim of a weight reduction diet is to improve long term health well-being and life expectancy.  Replacing it with a short term proxy, such as the blood lipid profile at 12 months, says little about the long term results, plausible though they may be.

The high fat/low carbohydrate proponents (and they seem to be an enthusiastic group, as ahown by the 120 comments on this episode) will probably argue that the fat intake wasn’t high enough and the carbohydrate intake wasn’t low enough.

Although it goes along with my assertions that there’s no evidence that one diet is superior for long term weight loss and maintenance of a healthy body weight.  And that a strict high fat/low carbohydrate diet is probably safe because very few people can comply with the diet long term.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #122 on: March 17, 2018, 08:44:03 AM »
50% of calories from carbs, including lots of fast simple carbs from  sugar breads, pastries, pasta, and processed foods. Moderate fat and protein intake.

It’s the diet for excess fat storage. It’s led to 3/4 of the population being overweight or obese.

because they do nothing all day long, every day, for years--they lie in their bed, they sit in their car, they sit at their desk, they sit in their car, they sit on their couch, and repeat.

that's the diet I've had for the past ten years. the only variable that caused weight gain was absolute laziness on the order of doing nothing more strenuous than dancing for a 24 month stretch, and probably mostly because of stress-related snacking and too much free time.
Quote from: Thomas Carlyle
In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

personate-rain