Author Topic: Talked with a Flat Earther on FB today. It was actually intensely fascinating.  (Read 486 times)

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
He had been posting copypasta, pictures, screenshots, youtube videos, and wikipedia links non stop and wasn't responding to anyone's points about anything.  I somehow got the guy to agree to engage in a Q&A where he more or less restrained himself to just briefly and directly answering my questions and I really learned a lot.  Perhaps more than I was anticipating as well.

Posting the link to reddit because the image is too tall to display properly here.

Online fred.slota

• Keeps Priorities Straight
Is there an easy way to be able to read it?  followed your link, and even blown up 500%, I couldn't quite make out the text.

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
Is there an easy way to be able to read it?  followed your link, and even blown up 500%, I couldn't quite make out the text.

You mean you zoomed in with "ctrl scroll up?" If you click on the image, it enlarges to full size.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
It's crazier than we think  ???

Good job keeping him on track (mostly)

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
I clicked on your link, then I right-clicked on the image and saved it to my desktop. Then I opened that in the image viewer (Preview on my iMac) and then was able to enlarge it enough to read it.

My conclusion: The guy you were talking to is psychotic. He is completely divorced from reality and writes nonsense. I met a guy like that once when I was in jail. Fortunately, my guy was on meds and was very happy. My guy was not a flat-Earther (it wasn't much of a thing circa 1989) and I'm not saying all flat-Earthers are psychotic. But your guy sure is.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Here2

• Brand New
It's amazing how far down the rabbit hole that conversation went.
It reminded me of a this American Life story, where they peel back the layers of a conspiracy theory being told to kids -- and the whole premise was based on a fictional Christian movie from the '70s.  I was waiting for a similar reveal in your exchange  ;D
https://www.thisamericanlife.org/635/chip-in-my-brain

Offline gebobs

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Me like hockey!
Ermigawd...that's insane.

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
Do they ever get more sane than that guy?

I have to admit, prior to being introduced to the SGU  I had a pretty poor understanding of many scientific ideas. I was long past being a believer in the supernatural, but my skeptical toolbox was lacking.

I like learning about things like Analemma--(which was the WTW a couple weeks back)., I can't think of a more simple and elegant explanation for it other than the fact that the earth is a globe that travels on an elliptical path around the sun.

I know there is some bizarre handwaving explanation from the flat -earthers on just about everything, but how the hell do they explain Analemma?
How do they explain seasons?
How do they explain the eclipse?

and for the million dollar question--how would they explain all three working at the same time?

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
Do they ever get more sane than that guy?

I think some of them might be able to construct a grammatical sentence.

I know there is some bizarre handwaving explanation from the flat -earthers on just about everything, but how the hell do they explain Analemma?
How do they explain seasons?
How do they explain the eclipse?

and for the million dollar question--how would they explain all three working at the same time?

They don't have to explain those things because they don't understand them. Some of them are mentally ill, and they are comfortable saying that it's all a conspiracy and "the government" has deluded us all. Others are mentally weak and since they cannot comprehend the things you mentioned, they just dismiss them as meaningless fancy words. So what if taking pictures of the sun makes an analema? It's just pictures. Eclipses? It's all just spotlights: easy to put a shade in front of. Seasons? Well, obviously it's colder in winter because it's winter. What makes winter? It just is.

If you are stupid or mentally ill, reality is just too confusing. And I am convinced that flat-Earthers are either stupid or mentally ill. Of course, most people are stupid, so they have a large pool from which to draw converts.

If you want to hear stupid, listen to the clips of Coast to Coast that Stuart Robbins plays on his Exposing PseudoAstronomy podcast. It boggles the mind how stupid people can be when it comes to astronomy.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Marasmusine

• Off to a Start
These people should write RPG supplements, I'd love to play a campaign in that world.

I see right at the end he started ignoring your questions and just rambled on and on. Is that why you ended it there or is that where he stopped?

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
We had one or two exchanges after that, but nothing of consequence. Also, he deleted the whole post not too much later so I couldn't update the screenshot.

personate-rain
personate-rain